Thoughts on job market in PNW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonus Eruptus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a soon-to-be MD that matched in the Portland/Vancouver for area for residency and was wondering if anyone had an idea about the Pharmacist job market in that region. My wife has been a practicing retail Pharmacist for over 5 years now, but we're concerned she may have trouble finding a decent gig and I was curious to see what the consensus was among those on here. She's looking for retail with no drive-thru service and is also looking to avoid Wal-Mart. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re going to be near the city, I think she’ll be looking for a while for any job, and even longer with her particular preferences. If you’re near a more rural area, it may go better.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Retail is mostly who you know there. I’ve seen people commute to Salem and Kelso unless it’s a bad store. There is only one ghetto Walmart in Portland city limits. On the WA side of the river, it’s competitive due to tax differences, but since you have the 15 min clause on your contract, that’s moot.

Reactions: 1 user
What's going on with Peace Health and VA? Haven't heard much about them.

PM me please with the context (pharmacist or administration). There are both issues going on (OHSU has administration issues, but those are only in Medical Education and not the regular faculty).

No retail with drive-thru or Walmart... what's left?

Reactions: 1 users
Retail with no drive thru but not Walmart, does she want a sign up bonus too?

Reactions: 4 users
Oregon definitely has some regional chains...Hi School Pharmacy is one that comes to mind. She could also try Safeway; I feel like they were sending out recruitment letters a few years ago. Have her look up pharmacies in the area and start applying. I think there are some Kaiser options that might also be worth looking into. Maybe Genoa, too, if they have one in the area? Long term care pharmacies might be a good option too, if she wants no drive through.

Oregon definitely has some regional chains...Hi School Pharmacy is one that comes to mind. She could also try Safeway; I feel like they were sending out recruitment letters a few years ago. Have her look up pharmacies in the area and start applying. I think there are some Kaiser options that might also be worth looking into. Maybe Genoa, too, if they have one in the area? Long term care pharmacies might be a good option too, if she wants no drive through.

Safeway: Not anywhere in the PDX/Couv, there were recruitment letters sent for out-state meaning Medford (and someone else was posting on the board regarding that). Kaiser - Only hire residents unless an intersystem transfer from Downey or one of the other locations or come from one of the other systems in town (it's probably the most networked group in town with possibly OHSU as an exception). I think the OP is going to have to try to use spousal/partner appointment in order to get a job.

The other thing: she needs to get licensed ASAP if she isn’t already. It’s going to be much more difficult to get a job there unless she’s already licensed in Oregon. She should be looking now as new grads finish very soon and she’ll be competing with them for positions...

Safeway: Not anywhere in the PDX/Couv, there were recruitment letters sent for out-state meaning Medford (and someone else was posting on the board regarding that). Kaiser - Only hire residents unless an intersystem transfer from Downey or one of the other locations or come from one of the other systems in town (it's probably the most networked group in town with possibly OHSU as an exception). I think the OP is going to have to try to use spousal/partner appointment in order to get a job.
Do Providence, OHSU and Kaiser truly restrict outpatient position hiring to residency trained pharmacists? That seems so unusual. I’m not sure if Providence has an outpatient pharmacy but I was pretty sure OHSU (somewhere in SE I believe) and Kaiser do.

Do Providence, OHSU and Kaiser truly restrict outpatient position hiring to residency trained pharmacists? That seems so unusual. I’m not sure if Providence has an outpatient pharmacy but I was pretty sure OHSU (somewhere in SE I believe) and Kaiser do.

No, but you have to substantial connections otherwise(interning). They won't hire someone unseen. OHSU is actually rightsizing staff.

As for outpatient: KP does at the Albina Clinic. OHSU have multiple sites, I think Beaverton is the largest outside Pill Hill/Waterfront. Providence has a couple of locations.