Thoughts on Mayo Arizona (Scottsdale)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccerman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've searched for a thread on their program for general surgery, but I really haven't found anything recent. Could anyone that knows about the program comment...pros, cons, etc.? Winged, you practice in AZ, any thoughts/comments? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I've searched for a thread on their program for general surgery, but I really haven't found anything recent. Could anyone that knows about the program comment...pros, cons, etc.? Winged, you practice in AZ, any thoughts/comments? Thanks

I've heard there's some pretty cool penis tattoos in that town......

Members don't see this ad :)

I"m pretty new here so don't have a good handle on what is real and what is spin.

Residents seem strong, young faculty, nice new facilities, typical "Mayo" flavor/apprenticeship albeit with less snow and more cacti. Good fellowship placement so far. Don't know about work hours or resident camaraderie. Not much trauma and pretty insular patient population.

Can have lunch with me at Gordon Biersch if you come here (my treat). :D

Can have lunch with me at Gordon Biersch if you come here (my treat). :D

I was so annoyed that they waited until I moved away from AZ to build them. However now that there's one a few blocks from my mom's place, I don't mind the visits home :D

Oh, and the Mayo campus is in about the nicest part of Phoenix. Fountain Hills is beautiful.

Oh, and the Mayo campus is in about the nicest part of Phoenix. Fountain Hills is beautiful.
C'mon, you know Scottsdale isn't "part of Phoenix"! :D

And while Fountain Hills is beautiful you cannot beat Paradise Valley for sheer jaw dropping multi-million dollar homes.

I like to cruise through there on the weekends and ogle the homes (and maybe a stray millionaire or two). :D

C'mon, you know Scottsdale isn't "part of Phoenix"! :D

And while Fountain Hills is beautiful you cannot beat Paradise Valley for sheer jaw dropping multi-million dollar homes.

I like to cruise through there on the weekends and ogle the homes (and maybe a stray millionaire or two). :D

Funny how people get better looking with 6 figures in the bank...

Thanks all, I appreciate the replies. And Winged, if I come there, I will have to take you up on that lunch offer, considering I've never been to a Gordon Biersch before.

C'mon, you know Scottsdale isn't "part of Phoenix"! :D ...
Haha! I (along with most of my classmates) have gone native after a few years in Vegas. It got tiresome to deal with the blank looks people gave you after you said "Glendale", "Mesa", or "Tempe."

True true, although mostly for men.

Women seem to get better looking, at least in this part of the country, when they have implants, blonde hair and a tan, regardless of how unattractive their face is.

: Falls down on knees and thanks god for the double standard :

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my medschool classmates is a second year there, it was his first choice. He loves it from all I hear.

Haha! I (along with most of my classmates) have gone native after a few years in Vegas. It got tiresome to deal with the blank looks people gave you after you said "Glendale", "Mesa", or "Tempe."

Understandable...I figured you didn't have to do that with me but you're right...I don't tell family that my offices are in Peoria or Deer Valley or Fountain Hills, etc. Its Phoenix.

: Falls down on knees and thanks god for the double standard :

You men are so easy. A little bit of surgery, some bleach and a tan and any butta-face suddenly becomes "hot". What happened to actually rating beauty or desirability on facial characteristics?

Yuck! Give me a nice face and great personality over the over-processed, bleach-blonde hair, fake orange tan and obvious implants any day!

Women seem to get better looking, at least in this part of the country, when they have implants, blonde hair and a tan, regardless of how unattractive their face is.

:banana:

'Nuff said...

You men are so easy. A little bit of surgery, some bleach and a tan and any butta-face suddenly becomes "hot". What happened to actually rating beauty or desirability on facial characteristics?

Trying to shame guys for this kind of behavior doesn't even do any good.

My guy friends who never look above the neck are actually proud of this fact. They say that this proves that they are "equal opportunity daters" - they're willing to date people who have attractive faces AND people who have ugly faces! :rolleyes:

I think that's about the same time the brown paper bag was invented.

HIPAA doesn't apply if the two of you were just playing the horny, voluptuous patient and the unsuspecting yet eager surgeon. :)

So do tell.

My guy friends who never look above the neck are actually proud of this fact. They say that this proves that they are "equal opportunity daters" - they're willing to date people who have attractive faces AND people who have ugly faces! :rolleyes:

Oh I know...they are proud of the fact. I just can't help myself in complaining about it - its a personal issue, having dated men for whom my looks (and the maintenance of them) was more important than my personality, intelligence, wit, etc.

Oh I know...they are proud of the fact. I just can't help myself in complaining about it - its a personal issue, having dated men for whom my looks (and the maintenance of them) was more important than my personality, intelligence, wit, etc.

:laugh: I wonder what they would have said if you informed them that if YOU only cared about what was below the neck, then you wouldn't have dated these guys in the first place...

HIPAA doesn't apply if the two of you were just playing the horny, voluptuous patient and the unsuspecting yet eager surgeon. :)

Is this the kind of stuff that goes through your head when you're forced to go to clinic?

I think that's about the same time the brown paper bag was invented.

Or as it's also known for those dumb enough to believe it: "A Bedroom Enhancement Device"

"... no baby, keep the bag on. It's enhancing my bedroom experience"

It sure was an improvement over the previous device, during which the user always suffered a hypoxic event. What was it called? Oh yeah... The plastic bag. :)

Well, as an attending we can add people who will try and date you for your money, your power, and for a letter of rec. ;)

It sure was an improvement over the previous device, during which the user always suffered a hypoxic event. What was it called? Oh yeah... The plastic bag. :)
AKA: darwinism in action

Or as it's also known for those dumb enough to believe it: "A Bedroom Enhancement Device"

"... no baby, keep the bag on. It's enhancing my bedroom experience"

Wasn't there an episode of Nip/Tuck like that? :confused:

Wasn't there an episode of Nip/Tuck like that? :confused:

Oh god I hope not. If the "writers" of nip/tuck and I are thinking exactly alike...ugh... I think I need to go lay down in a dark room for a while.. :barf:

So true. It is sad when they don't even try to hide the fact that they are staring at your chest. At least as woman, I can easily play it off when I am staring. Actually, we don't have to stare we just casually glance.

If I can touch them, they're real enough. :thumbup:
I wonder if there is similar analogy women can use when describing male parts..... prolly not.

Wow Castro! I expected better from you....oh well. Natural is better than fake.

Natural is better than fake. But ginormous is better than itty-bitty.

If I can touch them, they're real enough. :thumbup:

Word up! :thumbup:

If they fall in a forest and no one's around to hear them, they make a sound.

BOOM-SHAKALAKAH!

That's right...Blade has big hands and feet so I wasn't talking about him. Don't worry Castro...gravity will help you as you age! ;)

Oh... Right... The Vienna Sausage thing. :(

Thank God for gravity. I reckon I'll need to keep my knees warm in my old age!

:laugh: :laugh:

My shoes are bigger than yours, remember?

1/2 dude. 1/2. My God... You remind me of these two chicks who were arguing who had the "huger" chest. One chick had a 32AA and the other one had a 32A.

I wonder if there is similar analogy women can use when describing male parts..... prolly not.

I only know one way to find out for sure, but I don't think we know each other well enough.

(that's what we call a slow pitch right over the plate)

For some reason, this brought up a weird image of a woman with breasts made out of smoke. That was a really strange mental picture. I think I need more sleep.

I...uh....eh....um..... I've got nothing. I'm smart-assed out.

Thank God for gravity. I reckon I'll need to keep my knees warm in my old age!

You could move to South Philadelphia. The pannus that you'll develop (all the patients seem to have one) will keep your thighs warm, at least.

And, since we have so many patients with bad diabetes (who all seem to develop MRSA cellulitis in their legs), vascular surgeons will probably be in high demand in the future.

I...uh....eh....um..... I've got nothing. I'm smart-assed out.

Don't feel bad. We can't all be like Castro. :D