Thoughts on medical scientists reporting histopathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Comrade Kuma

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I stumbled upon the link below from the Royal College of Pathologists. The College offers three unique training programs ultimately allowing laboratory medical scientists to independently sign out gynaecological pathology, gastrointestinal pathology or dermatopathology.

As a mid training pathology resident I find this concerning for my own job prospects and the esteem of the specialty. Anatomic pathology is a medical specialty and should be treated as such by the medical community. Is this a sign for things to come in the US, Canada and Australia?

I imagine British radiologists protect their tuft better and won't allow for uptake of interpretation of plain X-rays by radiographers.

What are your thoughts?

Link:

Members don't see this ad.

That won’t last long. Too much very significant will be missed.

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably a better link summarising the development.

I'm guessing this is not so much a pathologist shortage as it is a cost-cutting measure. My limited understanding of the UK system is that a lot of people can get stuck in registrar (sort of like resident/fellow) hell because the system can't or won't pay consultant (attending) wages for everyone. This workaround sounds pretty dangerous to me, but what are the consequences to the health system for making significant errors? Are medical lawsuits very prevalent? Or will the increase in errors get swept under the rug until some whistleblower comes out, an investigation is launched, and it becomes political fodder?