Thoughts on Midwestern programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OctopusPot2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm applying to Cardiology fellowships this year. I've been on the West Coast since college, but my partner and I are both from the Midwest and we need to be closer to home for family reasons. Thus, I've limited my apps to the Midwest. Except for the most well-known programs, I don't know much about the reputation of a lot of programs. I've listed my apps below in a general tier system. I'm interested in an academic cardiology career (general or heart failure or interventional). If any current fellows/residents at the following programs (or from the interview trail) have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it!

Tier 1a
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo Clinic
Northwestern
WUSTL
Michigan

Tier 1b
University of Chicago
UPMC
University of Wisconsin

Tier 2
Beaumont
Loyola University
Ohio State University
Indiana University
Rush
University of Illinois – Chicago
Case Western

Tier 3
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati
Medical College of Wisconsin
Henry Ford Hospital
Wayne State University
Wright State
University of Toledo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
switch mayo and Uchicago. Uchicago cardiology division despite losing some of their faculty to Northwestern is still a cardiology powerhouse

Reactions: 1 user
That list is fine, but what you actually accomplish in fellowship is probably just as or even more important than reputation. Programs can be varied and there's no single best program for everyone, and you're not doing yourself any favors if you're unhappy or the program doesn't help you meet your goals, no matter what it's reputation is. I interviewed at a few of the "reputable" programs on your list and did not care for some of them, yet I know people who loved them, it's very subjective. You should figure out what you really want out of your training and what programs will help you meet your goals. Learn about the programs, feel it out on interview day and talk to fellows, and don't ignore the overall vibe and culture of the program. I know some who went to big time programs but aren't particularly happy as the vibe and culture of the place doesn't suit them. I would also consider future job prospects, since you mentioned location restrictions, whatever program you graduate from will likely offer you the best employment opportunity. I wouldn't consider a bad program for this reason, but it could make a solid, yet less reputable program more attractive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I'm applying to Cardiology fellowships this year. I've been on the West Coast since college, but my partner and I are both from the Midwest and we need to be closer to home for family reasons. Thus, I've limited my apps to the Midwest. Except for the most well-known programs, I don't know much about the reputation of a lot of programs. I've listed my apps below in a general tier system. I'm interested in an academic cardiology career (general or heart failure or interventional). If any current fellows/residents at the following programs (or from the interview trail) have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it!

I think your tiers are a bit off. Obviously there is some subjectivity:
1a CCF and mayo
1b Michigan, WUSTL, chicago, NW
1c UPMC, Wisconsin, Case, OSU (not in that order)

Tier 2 Add Iowa to tier 2. Rest isn't too far off

Mayo and CCF are at the top. CCF is much more hands on and has exceptional clinical training. Mayo has a tradition for very strong education (basically every cardiology fellow uses some Mayo educational materials at some point in their training). They will have very different feels. I suspect more from mayo go on to academics. Those who want academics from CCF stay in academics. Many however want to go into practice and this, unlike many top programs, is not actively discouraged.

Hey guys,

Tier 1a
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo Clinic
Northwestern
WUSTL
Michigan

Tier 1b
University of Chicago
UPMC
University of Wisconsin

Tier 2
Beaumont
Loyola University
Ohio State University
Indiana University
Rush
Case Western

Tier 3
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati
Henry Ford Hospital
Wayne State University
Wright State
University of Toledo

Not from Chicago, but from my interview days/current fellows in Cards programs @ NW, U of Chicago, Loyola and Rush. Definitely agree that Northwestern and University of Chicago are both top programs out of the 4. Call it hearsay, but I've heard some not so good remarks on Loyola's intervention program. If you're interested in HF/Intervention/Imaging then University of Chicago is a really strong pick.

Ultimately, all the best, you've got some great options on the list!

Hey guys,

Tier 1a
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo Clinic
Northwestern
WUSTL
Michigan

Tier 1b
University of Chicago
UPMC
University of Wisconsin

Tier 2
Beaumont
Loyola University
Ohio State University
Indiana University
Rush
Case Western

Tier 3
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati
Henry Ford Hospital
Wayne State University
Wright State
University of Toledo

To be honest, I think you could make a case to move OSU, Indiana, UIC to just below 1b (as someone else did, perhaps they're a 1c). I think they're a tier above the others there. Also have a good impression regarding Minnesota. I'd probably move Cinci to Tier 4.

Would anyone be able to compare fellowship reputations of Mid America Heart and Kansas to some of the other Midwest programs mentioned?

Anyone have thoughts on U of Minnesota vs UIC? Interview day left a better impression of Minnesota. UIC hospital was fairly lackluster and their CICU experience seemed rather limited. This list surprised me.

Anyone have thoughts on U of Minnesota vs UIC? Interview day left a better impression of Minnesota. UIC hospital was fairly lackluster and their CICU experience seemed rather limited. This list surprised me.

UIC is junk. All their volume comes from Advocate Christ. Main hospital has some volume but nothing like other programs on that list. On my interview day, there were zero patients in the CICU. University had low cath volumes (IIRC like 5 diagnostics/day, 1-2 TAVRs/week, 0-1 high risk PCI/week). Uni hospital has no advanced heart failure (BIG red flag). I wanted to end up back in Chicago but ranked UIC near the bottom. Not a good place to train if you want to be a good clinician.