Thoughts on Pathoma, sketchy, UWorld only for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollow Knight

Praise the sun
Reaction score
I have received As/high Bs in all my classes with anki. However, I'm like a few thousand cards behind on old blocks. The goal originally was to finish Pathoma, sketchy micro, sketchy pharm, and my old physiology/biochem/etc cards from my systems blocks, and a pass of uworld before I sit for my P/F step 1.

I'm starting to think of ditching the old cards I'm behind on and just doing pathoma, sketchy micro and pharm, and uworld. So y'all- is this enough for me to pass? I'll save time by dropping my old cards that aren't in these three resources, but I'm worried that if I don't finish all of Boards and Beyond like some of my friends that I'll still fail the exam. Thoughts?

I just need the courage to ditch the old cards. Or to get a kick in the pants to power through them.

I know everybody's like "It's P/F, just trust your curriculum," but my school has an abysmal fail rate recently, so I'm trying to put forth some effort.

Members don't see this ad.

I used Uworld thoroughly (made my own Anki card for every incorrect question) and sprinkled in bits of pathoma (only finished first 3 chapters) and sketchy pharm/micro (1 pass for all videos + Anki probably 100 cards per day) and passed. Did not use any B&B.

I did very minimal Anki in M1 and M2 year so I think you'll be fine. I'd recommend really focusing on learning from UWorld and NBME questions.

P.S. I love hollow knight too, took my name & profile from it :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I bought Hollow Knight a while back and still haven't played it. Made the mistake of buying so many steam games I have lost track of most

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same boat but man, there are so many cards even for just pathoma, sketchy micro and sketchy pharm alone.. at least in the anking deck. Trying to watch the all the videos, give the appropriate time to uworld (which i hear is pretty much all you need), and finish up classroom work, its hard to justify putting in so much time to anking even though everyone swears by it.

• Care
I used Uworld thoroughly (made my own Anki card for every incorrect question) and sprinkled in bits of pathoma (only finished first 3 chapters) and sketchy pharm/micro (1 pass for all videos + Anki probably 100 cards per day) and passed. Did not use any B&B.

I did very minimal Anki in M1 and M2 year so I think you'll be fine. I'd recommend really focusing on learning from UWorld and NBME questions.

P.S. I love hollow knight too, took my name & profile from it :)
What do people mean when they say they made a card for a U world question? Like the actual question answer or the content?

What do people mean when they say they made a card for a U world question? Like the actual question answer or the content?
Either on the content that the question was testing on OR the reasoning for the correct answer being correct, depending on whether I got the question wrong because I didn’t now the content, or because I knew the content but reasoned incorrectly.

For example, say I get a question wrong about which antifungal to give for a patient with candida infection because I don’t know antifungals really well. I’d make a card that asks “common fungal infections + meds + mechanism?”. Then on the other side of the card I’d put a screenshot of the antifungal diagram/table that UWorld gives in the explanation.

Another example, say I get a question wrong about changes in preload/afterload/SVR for a patient with an arteriovenous fistula. I’d figure that I got the question wrong because I did not reason correctly. So on the Anki I’d ask “what are the changes in preload/afterload/SVR for a arteriovenous fistula” and on the other side I’d say “increased preload and decreased afterload and SVR because blah blah blah”

• Hmm
Yeah that’s all you need. And lots of practice tests because the questions just don’t feel similar even though the knowledge is all there

I used only UWorld and scored 93%ile (2018). That's all anyone needs really.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I did all the questions except biostats. About 80-120 questions per day. For the questions I got wrong, I made 1-3 Anki cards on the pertinent info I missed. After doing all the questions, did the new cards that night. Next morning, reviewed all cards and went back to doing questions and making new cards. Added up to about 2-4 hours of card review per day and maybe 6 hours of doing questions. Might not be efficient for someone who isn't quick with making cards--I used the Anki smartphone app and Google keyboard to dictate the cards, saves tons of time.

Also did all the NBME and UWorld full-length practice exams interspersed.

This is the only source I used for Step 1.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Really UWorld and Pathoma are all that are required if you have a decent foundation. Just do questions and review the things that you miss and their underlying concepts.

• Hmm
I did all the questions except biostats. About 80-120 questions per day. For the questions I got wrong, I made 1-3 Anki cards on the pertinent info I missed. After doing all the questions, did the new cards that night. Next morning, reviewed all cards and went back to doing questions and making new cards. Added up to about 2-4 hours of card review per day and maybe 6 hours of doing questions. Might not be efficient for someone who isn't quick with making cards--I used the Anki smartphone app and Google keyboard to dictate the cards, saves tons of time.

Also did all the NBME and UWorld full-length practice exams interspersed.

This is the only source I used for Step 1.
Thank you!

Do you know if the book covers all the content in the videos?
The videos add a bit more context to the underlying phys behind the disease processes, but overall the book should be fine if you're just looking for review rather than initial learning.

Reactions: 1 users
I have received As/high Bs in all my classes with anki. However, I'm like a few thousand cards behind on old blocks. The goal originally was to finish Pathoma, sketchy micro, sketchy pharm, and my old physiology/biochem/etc cards from my systems blocks, and a pass of uworld before I sit for my P/F step 1.

I'm starting to think of ditching the old cards I'm behind on and just doing pathoma, sketchy micro and pharm, and uworld. So y'all- is this enough for me to pass? I'll save time by dropping my old cards that aren't in these three resources, but I'm worried that if I don't finish all of Boards and Beyond like some of my friends that I'll still fail the exam. Thoughts?

I just need the courage to ditch the old cards. Or to get a kick in the pants to power through them.

I know everybody's like "It's P/F, just trust your curriculum," but my school has an abysmal fail rate recently, so I'm trying to put forth some effort.
BnB seems to be overkill for many people. You're clearly working very hard on board prep, and with that background I expect you'll be fine. As long as you're LEARNING from the UW questions--much like you'd be learning from BnB, you can achieve similar results.

• Care
I never used anki, pathoma, sketchy, or bnb and was in the 95+% on NBMEs. I think for a good prep you need 2 things, a solid content source and a solid qbank. I overdid it on both and didn't finish everything, even after cutting out some stuff.

My suggestion for core content is choose up to 3 of the following: Pathoma vs Goljan, BnB vs Amboss vs Osmosis vs OME, Sketchy vs Picmonic
My ranking is for qbank: NBMEs + UWorld > Amboss > Osmosis (less familiar with other resources, ie OME, BnB(?), usmleRX, etc.)

Most efficient would be: Goljan (can listen during drives, gym, chores) + Amboss (library + qbank) + UWorld + NBMEs.

Reactions: 1 users