Thoughts on programs that did not fill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ideas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Kaiser LA and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why this particular programs and others did not fill. Is this a warning to stay away from these programs. I have already heard about VCM and the residents saying not to rank the program. . . but just wanted to get some info about the other sites.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in the answer to your question as well. I have heard from senior residents at top programs that a job at Kaiser LA is very desirable based on salary and location. And if you look at their faculty, they seem to take a large share from their own program. Thus, if you knew you wanted to go into private practice in LA, it would certainly seem like a good choice.

When I interviewed there, I found it more pleasant than I had expected. The residents were very nice and seemed bright. They claimed to be happy with the education and the workload was very manageable. It was definitely not an academics focused program but they have a huge patient database that you can use for research projects. They have a high patient numbers and see enough of each disease site, including peds...probably better than a large number of programs.

The most obvious "drawback" was the way the resident teaching worked. It wasn't "site specific" so you would follow various attendings and see multiple disease sites during the week. To me it seemed a little off-putting but residents said it was good because you didn't forget how to treat any site, as is purported to be the case when you have one site early on in your residency that you may not have again.

This set-up didn't seem to be enough to deter me from ranking the program, and if i had ended up there I would have been fine with it (it actually would have been high on my list if i didn't think i wanted to work in academics for my career). Sooo, i too would love some insight as to why this program doesn't seem to get a lot of respect.

I'm curious to know what ended up happening with VCU? Did they end up taking 3 this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
the reasons programs dont fill are multi-factorial and usually irrelevant. the rumors about what was wrong with VCU should not change the way you feel about VCU.

here are a list of reasons that i have come up with of why a program may not fill (based on rumors and actual happenings in all fields of medicine):

*programs interviewed applicants that may have been too strong for their program
*programs interviewed/ranked too few applicants
*secretary didnt fax/send the rank list correctly
*programs get screwed by 'under the table' deals with applicants
*rumors are spread about a program, leading applicants to not rank them

basically, if you hear rumors about a program which are not positive, i pose this question to you: would you rather match at that program or would you rather not match at all?

for me, i would rather have matched at any program than not match at all.

I am interested in Kaiser LA and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why this particular programs and others did not fill. Is this a warning to stay away from these programs. I have already heard about VCM and the residents saying not to rank the program. . . but just wanted to get some info about the other sites.

Thank you

I think it is interesting what developed at VCU/MCV. From what I can gather, some of the residents at VCU voiced significant concerns about the hours they were working and the atmosphere of the work environment. That alone was enough to steer all applicants away from a traditionally solid program. Wow!

i think its more complicated than that. the field is so competitive that merely bad mouthing wont dry out a program. there are always people who are happy to take any spot. it make drive a few away no doubt, but only those confident of other placements.

So does anyone have any more information as to whether VCU ended up filling their spots? Any updates on the various programs?