Thoughts on specific neuro programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give their thoughts on any of the following programs?

Indiana University
University of Kansas
Sparrow Hospital (east Lansing, MI)
Chapel Hill (UNC)
Duke
Wake Forest
Cincinnati (Uof Cincinnati)
Charleston, SC (Uof SC)
Galveston, TX (university of Texas)

I've looked at each of their websites but would like to hear anyones thoughts.

TY

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! Thanks for all the input everyone :laugh:

I know you all have opinions about the top 5 programs in the country(FAQ). Anyone have an opinion for someone whos main interests aren't in looking good on paper but instead getting into a good, non-malignant program.

Which of the above programs are malignant? I would appreciate any information anyone has experienced or heard. Information seems to be limited.

Med99

I think its because those midwest and southern folk haven't caught on to the concept of the internet quite yet and the rest of us just don't have any experience with those programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, at least I got some sort of response. ;)

I am actually considering child neurology now. Does anyone have any good websites or thoughts on child neuro?

I guess they just introduced a PGY3 match for medical school seniors in 04'. Do most of the programs feed off from the adult neuro; that is does good adult neuroprogram translate into good peds neuro?

Med99

Sorry for not replying, but I don't know any of the programs that you listed well enough. I bet this is why others haven't replied either--it is not that neurologists are "boring". There just aren't as many neurology residents and students worried about how much money they will make, where they will get in for residency, etc as say in radiology, IM (hoping to do GI), etc. These forums are designed for the neurotic, not the content.

Regarding your question about pediatric neurology programs in general: of course there is some correlation between the quality of pediatric programs and adult programs--but probably only as much as there is a correlation between pediatrics and medicine in general. A much stronger correlation clearly is between pediatrics and pediatric neurology. Thus, Stanford and WashU, while 2nd tier adult programs, are probably 1st tier pediatric neurology program. CHOB and CHOP fall into this top tier as well, while Columbia and JHU, which have great adult programs, don't have the best pediatric programs. Again, I don't know the programs you list very well, but I would suspect that UofCincinatti to have an excellent ped neuro program due to their reputation in peds.

This gets a little complicated if you want to do academics b/c then the quality of neuroscientific research also becomes important. Now the quality of the adult program becomes more important (especially since it will usually be an adult neurologist as a chairman hiring you--with notable exceptions such as at Stanford...)

Pediatric neurology is a great field to enter these days. New options for peds-epilepsy with surgery are dramatically changing the field. You also get to have a breadth of cases while being able to bill for EEGs. The demand for peds-neuro is through the roof and with new changes to Medicare coming soon, this will probably mean more renumeration in the end.

B

med99 said:
Can anyone give their thoughts on any of the following programs?

Indiana University
University of Kansas
Sparrow Hospital (east Lansing, MI)
Chapel Hill (UNC)
Duke
Wake Forest
Cincinnati (Uof Cincinnati)
Charleston, SC (Uof SC)
Galveston, TX (university of Texas)

I've looked at each of their websites but would like to hear anyones thoughts.

TY

about the only programs i can comment on are indiana and wake forest. I interviewed at both of these last year and liked both. they weren't at the top of my list, but i did like them. I wasn't overly fond of wake's program just because it didn't fit with me. it seemed somewhat smaller if i remember, but everyone there was extremely nice. indiana i liked, ut it was a similar situation. it seemed to be a smaller program, but the chairman seemed great even though biller left, pascuzzi was a very nice guy and seemed like a great teacher. didn't interview at other places, so i can't comment. i hear rumors about things being malignant at duke in general, but no proof of that.

also, i can't remember specifics about the strengths in terms of subspecialties of any of these programs. sorry.