thoughts on SUNY-Buffalo vs. SUNY-Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kam9933

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted to Buffalo, and have an interview tomorrow at Upstate. Is it worth going to the interview? I heard mixed thoughts on Upstate and I'm not sure whether it's worth the long drive and overnight stay. Which school is better for going into specialities, not internal medicine disciplines?

Members don't see this ad.

kam9933 said:
I am accepted to Buffalo, and have an interview tomorrow at Upstate. Is it worth going to the interview? I heard mixed thoughts on Upstate and I'm not sure whether it's worth the long drive and overnight stay. Which school is better for going into specialities, not internal medicine disciplines?

Do you have any particular specialties in mind?
In particular, it seems as though Upstate has a great match list for surgical specialties- last year out of a class of 150 students 8 grads got into orthopedic surgery & 4 got into plastic surgery-two of the most competitive specialties around. I'm sure that Buffalo is a great school too although I don't know too much about it. If I were you, I would go to the interview and see how you like the school. Personally, I think one of Upstate's biggest draws is the school's friendly atmosphere. I doubt that the difference between graduating from Upstate or Buffalo is going to be huge when applying for residencies, so I'd worry more about figuring out which school you'll do better at and be happier at.