Thoughts on the Match Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, it really wouldn't matter at the state level unless you change CMS guidelines, which currently state something to the effect that it is not reimbursable if the work is part of a requirement for finishing their degree/program. Also, insurance companies can recognize some of them, but many choose to simply cut and paste CMS guidelines when putting together their LCDs. So, I agree, but the federal change is what you need. So, how do you get that done?

Well, I'm a voting member of APA and my local state org, but our state pays interns pretty well. It would have to be through advocacy though. I'm no lawyer, but it might be a CMS rule change that allows for billing for interns under supervision capped at some reasonable limit to prevent abuse. If there's enough support on here around it, I'd happily co-write a letter. I'm no stranger to writing my representative.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm a voting member of APA and my local state org, but our state pays interns pretty well. It would have to be through advocacy though. I'm no lawyer, but it might be a CMS rule change that allows for billing for interns under supervision capped at some reasonable limit to prevent abuse. If there's enough support on here around it, I'd happily co-write a letter. I'm no stranger to writing my representative.

Unless your state has a lot of training grants that sites qualify for, it's less to do with the state then it does with payor mix at specific sites, when it comes to reimbursements. At least for non-state and federal training sites.

...why can't they require you not to discriminate against applicants based on their geographic location?
Can you expand on how you think internships discriminate based on applicants geographic location? I may have missed something in an earlier post, but I don't understand this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless your state has a lot of training grants that sites qualify for, it's less to do with the state then it does with payor mix at specific sites, when it comes to reimbursements. At least for non-state and federal training sites.

Yeah, I'm talking about UCCs since those are the sites that I'm the most familiar with. The state sets minimum pay guidelines for clinical fellows.

but I have a friend with kids who had fewer apa options because she didn’t want to put her kids through a move.
She is able to move. She’s doesn’t want to. That choice has a cost. Same as choosing to go to grad school instead of working after undergrad.

Every decision has a cost and a benefit.

Reactions: 2 users
This is little to do with training and everything to do with funding. CMS (medicare/medicaid) funds graduate medical education. No external source funds psychology training.
Hypothetically do you think that could change (or would be more likely to change) if we switched to a post-doctoral internship + one year post-doc model? Historical issues aside of psych splitting out from "healthcare" I can understand just on the face why CMS would not want to be funding training for people who don't even have their terminal degree in hand.

Hypothetically do you think that could change (or would be more likely to change) if we switched to a post-doctoral internship + one year post-doc model? Historical issues aside of psych splitting out from "healthcare" I can understand just on the face why CMS would not want to be funding training for people who don't even have their terminal degree in hand.

Well, they also don't fund postdoctoral work now, so would that be an easier sell than allowing for some sort of reimbursement model for pre-doctoral trainees under supervision?

She is able to move. She’s doesn’t want to. That choice has a cost. Same as choosing to go to grad school instead of working after undergrad.

Every decision has a cost and a benefit.
It’s true, some people just have larger costs than others. Inequality is everywhere, but I think it’s helpful to acknowledge it to create space for those with worse circumstances :)

I’m not sure if this exists, but are there ways for students struggling financially to get reimbursement or aid for apps/relocation expenses/other costs of the process? I feel like I read something about a scholarship on the APPIC doc…

This is little to do with training and everything to do with funding. CMS (medicare/medicaid) funds graduate medical education. No external source funds psychology training.

THIS!! We (AMC) lose ~ 150 - 200K a year to our internship program. In fact, every AMC I know of loses money running an internship program. Most states do not reimburse for unlicensed clinicians. Supervisors donate their time. Every time a patient goes to an intern vs. a licensed clinician we lose the opportunity to bill. 200K in the red (intern salaries + benefits, plus small amount of admin time, prgm fees) and lost billing opportunities = a very tenuous situation. It's not like we don't want to pay interns more, it's that we can't. Okay stepping off my soap box.

Also the match benefits the applicants more than the sites...Without it, well, disaster...more admin burden for people who likely donate a lot of their time because they value training. Yeah, all the TD's I know would throw in the towel or recruit from a handful of well-known, high visibility programs....

Reactions: 1 users
THIS!! We (AMC) lose ~ 150 - 200K a year to our internship program. In fact, every AMC I know of loses money running an internship program. Most states do not reimburse for unlicensed clinicians. Supervisors donate their time. Every time a patient goes to an intern vs. a licensed clinician we lose the opportunity to bill. 200K in the red (intern salaries + benefits, plus small amount of admin time, prgm fees) and lost billing opportunities = a very tenuous situation. It's not like we don't want to pay interns more, it's that we can't. Okay stepping off my soap box.

Also the match benefits the applicants more than the sites...Without it, well, disaster...more admin burden for people who likely donate a lot of their time because they value training. Yeah, all the TD's I know would throw in the towel or recruit from a handful of well-known, high visibility programs....

That's the issue. If the suggested plan to get rid of the match were put in place, you would not be able to hire a training director. We are already have trouble recruiting a new TD given the headaches and the on-site requirements.

Question for you--I had my LPC all through graduate school and was told by various TDs that I was not allowed to bill for my services because I was a psych trainee. I presume this would be the case at your site.

Question for you--I had my LPC all through graduate school and was told by various TDs that I was not allowed to bill for my services because I was a psych trainee. I presume this would be the case at your site.

According to federal law, yes, you were not allowed to bill Medicare patients as you were completing services as part of your graduate training. You'd have the LCD for other insurers to see their specific rules.

According to federal law, yes, you were not allowed to bill Medicare patients as you were completing services as part of your graduate training. You'd have the LCD for other insurers to see their specific rules.

One more argument for the proposed rule change, I guess. Let me know when you want to write the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more argument for the proposed rule change, I guess. Let me know when you want to write the letter.

When the yearly comment period comes for CMS, include that sentiment, I always do. And, if a bill comes along that has an author attached, then it's time to talk to your legislator personally. They won't do much unless something is actionable, they have a vested interest, or there is widespread support and it's a media item.

Would likely vary by insurance, but my hospital would not bill for this. Too much risk, not enough reward.

May be an administrative issue, if they accidentally bill one of the payors who does not allow it, they are looking at clawbacks at best, fines at worst.

Yeah, I imagined it would something like there either wasn't a process for it or we fear x outcome. Maybe clarifying these administrative rules to allow some interns to bill might be a second actionable items. But, I also imagine that providers themselves have little power to advocate for such changes.

Yeah, I imagined it would something like there either wasn't a process for it or we fear x outcome. Maybe clarifying these administrative rules to allow some interns to bill might be a second actionable items. But, I also imagine that providers themselves have little power to advocate for such changes.

There are a lot of moving parts in the hospital system in between documenting the services that were performed, to the coding department, to the billing department, to the billers. Lot of steps where something can go wrong. As you are likely aware, care systems are large, unwieldy messes. So much easier to do things in solo or small practice. But then again, I would never start an internship for my current practice, because I am not currently in the giving away large sums of money period of my life.

What's the risk? Wouldn't you want to lose less money?

My hospital would not take the time to go through all the red tape....

But a few main issues. First is risk management. They'd be a trainee within the system so there would need to an attending responsible for the patient from a risk mmgt perspective. Not sure how they could bill under an LPC while still being considered a psychology trainee (resident) within the system. If they were able to figure out the trainee/liability issue, then the next issue would likely be that billing for trainees, when allowed, is insurance specific. Paring trainees with specific insurances is an administrative nightmare and creates unintended equity issues. Third is one I don't really understand but always comes up in discussion. Essentially hospital is risk adverse and will not do anything that runs the risk of messing with medicare guidelines or ACGME standing. They aren't trying to pay a massive fine.

All in all a crap ton of work and my AMC would get rid of the program before spending the capital to solve all of these issues...

Can you expand on how you think internships discriminate based on applicants geographic location? I may have missed something in an earlier post, but I don't understand this.
I do not think that and did not say that. Sanman thinks internship would discriminate based on geographic locations if there was no match by saying "If the match did not exist, programs would just take local candidates we like and ignore someone else." I was just asking why can't APA put regulations to prevent sites from doing that. Honestly, I think if sites want to do that they can (I'm not saying they are) regardless of whether we have the match.

I do not think that and did not say that. Sanman thinks internship would discriminate based on geographic locations if there was no match by saying "If the match did not exist, programs would just take local candidates we like and ignore someone else." I was just asking why can't APA put regulations to prevent sites from doing that. Honestly, I think if sites want to do that they can (I'm not saying they are) regardless of whether we have the match.

How would APA regulate this? What if one site gets 90% local applications, are they forced to take non-local applicants, regardless of the strength of their applications? would they be forced to offer non-local options first? How do you see this pragmatically playing out?

My hospital would not take the time to go through all the red tape....

But a few main issues. First is risk management. They'd be a trainee within the system so there would need to an attending responsible for the patient from a risk mmgt perspective. Not sure how they could bill under an LPC while still being considered a psychology trainee (resident) within the system. If they were able to figure out the trainee/liability issue, then the next issue would likely be that billing for trainees, when allowed, is insurance specific. Paring trainees with specific insurances is an administrative nightmare and creates unintended equity issues. Third is one I don't really understand but always comes up in discussion. Essentially hospital is risk adverse and will not do anything that runs the risk of messing with medicare guidelines or ACGME standing. They aren't trying to pay a massive fine.

All in all a crap ton of work and my AMC would get rid of the program before spending the capital to solve all of these issues...

Thanks for humoring me, really. I appreciate the discussion. A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

1. Wouldn't the attending just be the intern's primary supervisor? Aren't they already taking on risks by having a student?

2. What equity issues would pairing insured people with licensed providers create? I could see how it might create training issues if, say, an intern wanted to work primarily with psychotic patients, but because they had an LCSW/LPC they only had to see billable patients, which primarily didn't include psychotic patients. If this argument is that people with LPCs/LCSWs and psych degree are more experienced providers and therefore patients should have equal access to them, I'm flattered, but I still learned a ton on internship and clinical postdoc :)

I understand the third point (we fear x outcome therefore we won't do it). Tracks with much of my experience in managed healthcare.

How would APA regulate this? What if one site gets 90% local applications, are they forced to take non-local applicants, regardless of the strength of their applications? would they be forced to offer non-local options first? How do you see this pragmatically playing out?
You are missing the point here. What you are saying might be true. But how does having the match solve this problem? With the match system in place, site are still likely getting more local applications therefore would take more local applicants. I was simply saying the argument that the match system makes non-local applicants more likely to be considered is not valid.

You are missing the point here. What you are saying might be true. But how does having the match solve this problem? With the match system in place, site are still likely getting more local applications therefore would take more local applicants. I was simply saying the argument that the match system makes non-local applicants more likely to be considered is not valid.

I think you are missing the point. With the match in place, the algorithm relies on rankings of both the sites AND the applicants. In your shortsighted system, the sites have all of the power in extending offers. As it stands now, the only real power they have is extending interviews, and given that there are more spots than applicants, they need to offer enough interviews to fill their spots. As it stands, applicants own ranks are a very powerful tool. If anything can't aee how your system just further stretched inequity, with sites relying on legacy admissions and top sites poaching the top applicants off the top. Also, I can't see how that system doesn't take several rounds, further increasing both time and expense in applying and interviewing. More cost to both applicants and programs. Or, are you implying that you think your system magically makes it through two rounds of offers?

I think you are missing the point. With the match in place, the algorithm relies on rankings of both the sites AND the applicants. In your shortsighted system, the sites have all of the power in extending offers. As it stands now, the only real power they have is extending interviews, and given that there are more spots than applicants, they need to offer enough interviews to fill their spots. As it stands, applicants own ranks are a very powerful tool. If anything can't aee how your system just further stretched inequity, with sites relying on legacy admissions and top sites poaching the top applicants off the top. Also, I can't see how that system doesn't take several rounds, further increasing both time and expense in applying and interviewing. More cost to both applicants and programs. Or, are you implying that you think your system magically makes it through two rounds of offers?
? I thought we are talking about how the match makes it more equitable for non-local applicants? What you are saying has nothing to do with that. Going off topic and belittling other people's opinion do not make you more convincing. I'm going to stop responding to you so please do not ask me follow up questions. Thank you.

? I thought we are talking about how the match makes it more equitable for non-local applicants? What you are saying has nothing to do with that. Going off topic and belittling other people's opinion do not make you more convincing.

Yes, as the ranking system currently prioritizes both site and applicant rankings, as opposed to a system that prioritizes only offers made by the site. Being obtuse does not make you more convincing. Also, how is the increased cost to the applicant more equitable in your system?

Thanks for humoring me, really. I appreciate the discussion. A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

1. Wouldn't the attending just be the intern's primary supervisor? Aren't they already taking on risks by having a student?

2. What equity issues would pairing insured people with licensed providers create? I could see how it might create training issues if, say, an intern wanted to work primarily with psychotic patients, but because they had an LCSW/LPC they only had to see billable patients, which primarily didn't include psychotic patients. If this argument is that people with LPCs/LCSWs and psych degree are more experienced providers and therefore patients should have equal access to them, I'm flattered, but I still learned a ton on internship and clinical postdoc :)

I understand the third point (we fear x outcome therefore we won't do it). Tracks with much of my experience in managed healthcare.

Not Beantown, but I can see a lot of equity issues. Those with insurances that reimburse trainees/LPCs would also never be allowed to see a supervisor or more experienced psychologist if we can maximize billing elsewhere. Frankly, plenty of places already throw medicaid patients to trainees because it is not worth billing for them. This creates two levels of care. One for those with good insurance and one for those without.

Not Beantown, but I can see a lot of equity issues. Those with insurances that reimburse trainees/LPCs would also never be allowed to see a supervisor or more experienced psychologist if we can maximize billing elsewhere. Frankly, plenty of places already throw medicaid patients to trainees because it is not worth billing for them. This creates two levels of care. One for those with good insurance and one for those without.

Fair point, and one I did not consider.

1. This is really the who is signing the chart and who is responsible if the **** hits the fan. You can't bill under your own license and be considered a trainee in our system. That is if a trainee were to bill under their license they become responsible party which would never be allowed from a risk mmgt perspective.

2. Sanman answered a lot of this. It's the distinction between trainee and non-trainee status and not one of degree.

1. This is really the who is signing the chart and who is responsible if the **** hits the fan. You can't bill under your own license and be considered a trainee in our system. That is if a trainee were to bill under their license they become responsible party which would never be allowed from a risk mmgt perspective.

2. Sanman answered a lot of this. It's the distinction between trainee and non-trainee status and not one of degree.

This is where I get stuck though because these trainee/no-trainee distinction seems arbitrary especially if you hire LCSWs/LPCs to do clinical work. The institution is essentially saying that these people are independent, but theoretical psych intern, who likely has more training and experience in addition to the same independent licensure as your paid full time staff is somehow a greater risk. That doesn't follow, which is fine, I know that institutions make decisions largely based on fear (stick) and whatever's cheapest (carrot) even if either are unfounded. If I had my druthers, I would make psych training would be more in line with master's level licensing requirements so most interns could have an LPC or something similar when they started internship so billing would be a non-issue. In this situation, would you say interns would still be riskier than paid staff with the same credentials?

This is where I get stuck though because these trainee/no-trainee distinction seems arbitrary especially if you hire LCSWs/LPCs to do clinical work. The institution is essentially saying that these people are independent, but theoretical psych intern, who likely has more training and experience in addition to the same independent licensure as your paid full time staff is somehow a greater risk. That doesn't follow, which is fine, I know that institutions make decisions largely based on fear (stick) and whatever's cheapest (carrot) even if either are unfounded. If I had my druthers, I would make psych training would be more in line with master's level licensing requirements so most interns could have an LPC or something similar when they started internship so billing would be a non-issue. In this situation, would you say interns would still be riskier than paid staff with the same credentials?
I'm really entertaining this discussion because I find it interesting. In reality my AMC doesn't hire LPCs so this would have to be a special thing just for our psychology interns. My hospital isn't about making special allowances for a small, low-revenue generating group.

There are also other considerations. For licensing boards/APA accred trainees need to have the title "psychology intern" or "psychology resident." The use of "intern" or "resident" is trainee status designation within our hospital. This designation has implications for just about everything in my hospital system and is not specific to our department or service, They can't be an "intern" or a "resident" and not a trainee.

It is not the institution you are fighting. It is the law. Either you are a fully licensed midlevel that is completely liable for your care or you are a trainee with a supervisor liable for the care. You can't be both at the same time. If you are the former, then why are we taking time to train you. If you are in training, then insurance says we are not paying for you to train your employees. We only pay for trained professionals to care for our customers. While the level of formal training may be similar, a LCSW/LPC with 20 years clinical experience is no where near the same thing as an intern. What you want is for insurance to grant trainees with a certain level of education billable status. Something licensed LPCs just got last December with regard to Medicare. Feel free to fight for it. It is not a bad cause, but you will likely be tilting at windmills.

I hear that. I guess it's just a personal preference then. I feel the doctoral admissions are more similar to the traditional hiring format than the match. I definitely prefer the former, which I have personally gone through as well.
When applying to PhD programs, I was waitlisted at program A ("you're our first alternate...") while simultaneously holding an offer from program B -- I ended up accepting the offer at program B after waiting a period of weeks-to-months to be told that all initial offers extended by program A had finally been accepted.

Sometimes I still wonder... what if that mystery applicant who waited weeks to accept their offer at program A had been holding out hope for an offer from program B? What if we both ended up at our second choice programs because we each were holding onto the offer that the other wanted?

Honestly, I think the Match system also sucks but I'm not sure of how it could be improved. The only thing is not making applicants fly out for interviews, which I think COVID has already helped with?

Honestly, I think the Match system also sucks but I'm not sure of how it could be improved. The only thing is not making applicants fly out for interviews, which I think COVID has already helped with?

Yeah, I moved on to full PP the year after Covid, but my old hospital system still does virtual interviews. And, as I've said before that, we had a decent number of phone interviews every year, with accepting 2 of those phone interviewees in a 4 year span. So, I think that criticism is unwarranted in most situations.

Ah- ok. I honestly don't think they were saying it's discrimination along the lines of "we're not going to offer you a position because of where you are from", but more along the lines of places looking to fill positions quickly getting applicants locally for practical reasons, rather than discriminating against non-locals. With all participating agencies and applicants in the country agreeing using APPIC as a centralized place for lists of internships as well as universal applications, it basically becomes and process with a nationwide scope. APA could certainly continue to mandate this process, but the universal notification day and rank listing hold it all together. Without the ranking lists and match day, you'd likely have a situation where top applicants would get multiple offers, holding out for the best ones, while other applicants (many of whom were also very qualified for the positions) would not get offers- at least until the top applicants had all made their decisions. The end result would be many more applicants not getting a position, and many more sites not filling their positions. From the site's perspective, doing all that work and not getting filling positions makes it a hard sell to continue to fund those positions. From the applicant's perspective, many more degrees are held hostage by factors outside of the control of the student or the degree granting institution. Long story short, if it's going to be a truly nationwide process overseen by a third party (e.g., APA or APPIC) the absence of match day and rank listings would make it much to cumbersome and unwieldy to be managed by the internship sites, and thus more difficult for applicants to match somewhere. As an applicant, a lot would come down to your negotiating and bargaining abilities.

It's hard to come up with a better plan. I do think that anything related to earning the degree should be under the control of the degree granting program. Complete your coursework, thesis/dissertation, and university affiliated clinical training and practicum work, you get your degree. I do struggle at what to do about non-university affiliated supervised fieldwork required for licensure. My instinct is to put that on the student, assisted by networks and contacts of the graduate program and mentor. However, I don't think that would lead to enough students getting good fieldwork training, particularly in more rural areas (and it would create extreme competition in more urban areas).

Reactions: 1 users
Through a quirk in timing of APA site visit and approval, I was able to attend my first choice, APA accredited internship without going through the match. I still did all the APPIC application stuff (snail mail!), but got and accepted and offer enough time before match day that I got to withdraw from match (and cancel some interviews with expensive flights and hotel stays). I did not have to experience the anxiety of match day, but the whole process was still crazy, anxiety provoking, and pretty expensive.

Ah- ok. I honestly don't think they were saying it's discrimination along the lines of "we're not going to offer you a position because of where you are from", but more along the lines of places looking to fill positions quickly getting applicants locally for practical reasons, rather than discriminating against non-locals. With all participating agencies and applicants in the country agreeing using APPIC as a centralized place for lists of internships as well as universal applications, it basically becomes and process with a nationwide scope. APA could certainly continue to mandate this process, but the universal notification day and rank listing hold it all together. Without the ranking lists and match day, you'd likely have a situation where top applicants would get multiple offers, holding out for the best ones, while other applicants (many of whom were also very qualified for the positions) would not get offers- at least until the top applicants had all made their decisions. The end result would be many more applicants not getting a position, and many more sites not filling their positions. From the site's perspective, doing all that work and not getting filling positions makes it a hard sell to continue to fund those positions. From the applicant's perspective, many more degrees are held hostage by factors outside of the control of the student or the degree granting institution. Long story short, if it's going to be a truly nationwide process overseen by a third party (e.g., APA or APPIC) the absence of match day and rank listings would make it much to cumbersome and unwieldy to be managed by the internship sites, and thus more difficult for applicants to match somewhere. As an applicant, a lot would come down to your negotiating and bargaining abilities.

It's hard to come up with a better plan. I do think that anything related to earning the degree should be under the control of the degree granting program. Complete your coursework, thesis/dissertation, and university affiliated clinical training and practicum work, you get your degree. I do struggle at what to do about non-university affiliated supervised fieldwork required for licensure. My instinct is to put that on the student, assisted by networks and contacts of the graduate program and mentor. However, I don't think that would lead to enough students getting good fieldwork training, particularly in more rural areas (and it would create extreme competition in more urban areas).

Yeah, I was specifically referring to known quantities. Why bother wading through 100+ applications if a local extern who you know has done good work in the past is willing to take the spot. Happens all the time in grad school applications. I know a few professors who locked in a spot in their lab for an undergrad they liked. No real chance for outside applicants. Happened with a few match spots outside of APA (in the days before formal Phase 2 when we were faxing stuff for unmatched applicants aka "The scramble")

Yeah, I was specifically referring to known quantities. Why bother wading through 100+ applications if a local extern who you know has done good work in the past is willing to take the spot. Happens all the time in grad school applications. I know a few professors who locked in a spot in their lab for an undergrad they liked. No real chance for outside applicants. Happened with a few match spots outside of APA (in the days before formal Phase 2 when we were faxing stuff for unmatched applicants aka "The scramble")
Also happened to some extent within the match system when I was an internship faculty. Across our different rotations, we had about 6 intern spots. We new at least 4 of them would be going to students from specific graduated labs. The professors would let us know years in advance that they had a student coming down the pipeline for us, and we would meet that student at conferences and know of them and their work. Interview day was more for us to sell ourselves and our program sites, vs. determining if we wanted to offer that student a position. Regardless of the system, networking is the surest way to market yourself and get where you want to go. Another HUGE reason to attend a mentor-model program.

• Angry
Agree that I'm not sure I see a viable alternative to the match process that wouldn't create tons of downstream problems. The last few years it has been: 1) Orders of magnitude less financially burdensome for applicants - which I think was the biggest downside previously; and 2) Substantially less likely to ultimately result in not matching - which usually wasn't a major concern for folks coming out of legitimate programs but was just a crummy system.

RE: #2, I think the match rate is something like 89% now just for Phase 1, yes? Do we know what it is for Phase 1 and 2 combined?

Agree that I'm not sure I see a viable alternative to the match process that wouldn't create tons of downstream problems. The last few years it has been: 1) Orders of magnitude less financially burdensome for applicants - which I think was the biggest downside previously; and 2) Substantially less likely to ultimately result in not matching - which usually wasn't a major concern for folks coming out of legitimate programs but was just a crummy system.

RE: #2, I think the match rate is something like 89% now just for Phase 1, yes? Do we know what it is for Phase 1 and 2 combined?

Last year it was 96%, so, very high, especially given some of the apps in that mix.

I know that my internship is ably to bill for interns under supervision because we were required by our site (and the state?) to get a provisionally licensed (plmhp). Under this my site is able to bill for our services. I think ~70% of my caseload is Medicare/Medicaid. And the site I’m at has most of the interns seeing 25-30 therapy clients a week plus at least one group (billed through local probation services at a full rate). My site is one of the lowest paid in the state, so along with knowing that they are able to bill - them having interns is a money maker for them. I won’t deny that the hours that our supervisors spend in individual and group supervision aren’t billable or that they aren’t provided any additional administrative time to review reports or documentation while they carry 25-30 clients themselves, while getting paid only 65,000-80,000. So it’s sucky for the trainees and psychologists, but I’m pretty sure it works out pretty decently for the training site. What they bill for the interns services more than covers our stipend and our supervisors time. Just adding that there are some sites out there that do make decent money off their interns.

I will also add that while the match process sucked - i do see it as better than no match.

I know that my internship is ably to bill for interns under supervision because we were required by our site (and the state?) to get a provisionally licensed (plmhp). Under this my site is able to bill for our services. I think ~70% of my caseload is Medicare/Medicaid. And the site I’m at has most of the interns seeing 25-30 therapy clients a week plus at least one group (billed through local probation services at a full rate). My site is one of the lowest paid in the state, so along with knowing that they are able to bill - them having interns is a money maker for them. I won’t deny that the hours that our supervisors spend in individual and group supervision aren’t billable or that they aren’t provided any additional administrative time to review reports or documentation while they carry 25-30 clients themselves, while getting paid only 65,000-80,000. So it’s sucky for the trainees and psychologists, but I’m pretty sure it works out pretty decently for the training site. What they bill for the interns services more than covers our stipend and our supervisors time. Just adding that there are some sites out there that do make decent money off their interns.

I will also add that while the match process sucked - i do see it as better than no match.

I'm glad you brought that up--I was thinking earlier in the thread about how a rule change that allowed for interns to bill wouldn't necessarily stop some sites from pocketing the extra money instead of passing it on to the trainees. Ideally, there would be a separate training license (or designation) for psychology interns that covers the full range of services that they provide, but also capped to reduce abuse. Likely though, in such a scenario, it would take enforcement from accrediting bodies to ensure that trainees were protected.

More importantly, that's a heavy load for an intern to carry. You deserve to be paid more.

You can't bill Medicare. That is federal law. In some states you can bill Medicaid. The interesting thing about Medicaid is that in some states for some services it pays decently. In others, it does not pay enough to keep the lights on. The site may be making a lot of money off you or they may be just be breaking even after paying the supervisors . Hard to know without seeing the expenses and the billables.

Either way, 25-30 clients seems like a high caseload for a psychology intern that is required to have didactics and supervision.

Reactions: 2 users
You can't bill Medicare. That is federal law. In some states you can bill Medicaid. The interesting thing about Medicaid is that in some states for some services it pays decently. In others, it does not pay enough to keep the lights on. The site may be making a lot of money off you or they may be just be breaking even after paying the supervisors . Hard to know without seeing the expenses and the billables.

Either way, 25-30 clients seems like a high caseload for a psychology intern that is required to have didactics and supervision.

Response: For the provision of psychiatric services “incident to”, psychology interns are regarded as unlicensed providers. While we regard the training of psychologists to be an important function of many academic institutions, there is no statutory Medicare benefit to pay for these training programs. In the past we have said that on an inpatient psychiatric service, the services of psychology interns would be seen as an incidental part of the overall care provided to these inpatients by licensed professionals, and as long as the services of psychology interns did not form the bulk of the psychological services received by these patients, we would still consider the overall multidisciplinary package of inpatient services to be medically necessary. In the outpatient setting the provision of psychological services by unlicensed individuals, whether psychology interns, clinic social work students, or others, are not covered by Medicare under the “incident to” provision.

Geez, you guys, the poor intern is probably in a CMHC and probably meant Medicaid.

Yes and there is a difference. These are distinctions all trainees should learn. Who pays you, how much, and why it is done is important. More important, IMO, than half the stuff you learn in grad school. Better to make the mistake and be corrected here than when it counts.

Geez, you guys, the poor intern is probably in a CMHC and probably meant Medicaid.

It is a private practice. And I have a client that was transferred to me from a masters level clinician because their insurance switched to Medicare. The majority are Medicaid but there are at least 1 or 2 that are medicare.

It is a private practice. And I have a client that was transferred to me from a masters level clinician because their insurance switched to Medicare. The majority are Medicaid but there are at least 1 or 2 that are medicare.

There is a non-zero chance that this practice is committing insurance fraud. A practice in town here just got nailed for this, federal fine and board action on the owner/supervisor.