Thoughts on U. Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do people feel about U. Rochester. I found their program to be awesome and facilities pleasant. But I'm from NYC and cannot imagine being in upstate NY (after 4 years in Undergrad). Thoughts, comments?

Members don't see this ad.

They waitlisted me, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that they suck ...

Seriously, I enjoyed my visit there and thought the school was very nice. The only problem was it's location. Far away from everything, and though the weather was nice when I visited, frigid for far too many months of the year.

greendot said:

Seriously, I enjoyed my visit there and thought the school was very nice. The only problem was it's location. Far away from everything, and though the weather was nice when I visited, frigid for far too many months of the year.

What was your interview to response turn around time?

Members don't see this ad :)
greendot said:

What was your interview to response turn around time? and howd you find out?

gotdoc said:
What was your interview to response turn around time? and howd you find out?

Although you didn't ask me I will answer. I got a response about a month after interviewing. I was also impressed with the school. I think the curriculum is very strong and I like the whole biopsychosocial model.

I interviewed Oct 17th and still haven't heard a word . . . I'm getting a bit anxious and I fear Thanksgiving might further extend the turn around time . . . sigh . . .

Edit: To answer your question, I liked the facilities as well, and there def seemed to be a lot of opportunities to do research (at some places I've interviewed I get funny looks for just mentioning it). However, I didn't get any particularly strong warm-fuzzies when I visited. So I dunno how much gut reaction should play into this. The location (other than being cold) isn't much of an issue for me, I've lived in suburbia my whole life, so Rochester doesn't seem so bad.

I interviewed on Oct. 10 and I just found out today. I actually liked the school a lot but considering my other options I won't be heading to Rochester, so I shall be freeing a seat up sometime this week. Good luck to everyone applying and who really wants to attend Rochester!!

BTW - my host when I stayed there was possibly the best host I have EVER had. I loved the people at Rochester...very welcoming!

Dakota said:
I interviewed Oct 17th and still haven't heard a word . . . I'm getting a bit anxious and I fear Thanksgiving might further extend the turn around time . . . sigh . . .

/
gotdoc said:
What was your interview to response turn around time?

About 7 weeks. I interviewed on 9/2 and got the letter around the end of last month, though I'm not sure of the date.

K, just checked. The letter was dated 10/26.

gotdoc said:
How do people feel about U. Rochester. I found their program to be awesome and facilities pleasant. But I'm from NYC and cannot imagine being in upstate NY (after 4 years in Undergrad). Thoughts, comments?

Well, Rochester is no NYC, but it's really not a bad place to live. There's tons of stuff to do downtown...Eastman School of Music is a bus ride away, and you can hear amazing concerts there. My parents were students there and loved it. Unfortunately, I got waitlisted so I probably won't be joining you. I'm more of a warm weather gal anyway :) . As for the curriculum, they make a big deal out of the bio-psycho-social model, don't they? However, I don't really see how it is superior to any other school I've been to. In fact, the curriculum seemed a bit broken up to me....if I remember correctly, you
do a brief review of the basic sciences during third year to "refresh" your memory.

funshine said:
Well, Rochester is no NYC, but it's really not a bad place to live. There's tons of stuff to do downtown...Eastman School of Music is a bus ride away, and you can hear amazing concerts there. My parents were students there and loved it. Unfortunately, I got waitlisted so I probably won't be joining you. I'm more of a warm weather gal anyway :) . As for the curriculum, they make a big deal out of the bio-psycho-social model, don't they? However, I don't really see how it is superior to any other school I've been to. In fact, the curriculum seemed a bit broken up to me....if I remember correctly, you
do a brief review of the basic sciences during third year to "refresh" your memory.

A lot of people get in off the waitlist... so you never know.

I think parts of our curriculum are awesome. I love how our histo/physio/anatomy classes are so well integrated and I like the systems based approach our professors take. The professors do a good job of teaching the main concepts and the really important details without making us learn too much useless junk.

Yup, they do make a big deal out of the bio-psycho-social model... I don't know why. I think you'd basically get the same stuff at any medical school. I think they do stress patient interviews a lot and really getting to know what's going on in your patient's life besides the current medical problem. They do give you lectures on non-sciency things, which are sometimes interesting and other times a total waste of time. Frankly, I'd be happy with less bio-psycho-social stuff.

The other thing Rochester likes to stress is PBL. PBL is an awesome way to learn if you have a good group and a good leader. Otherwise, it is the biggest waste of time. I personally hate PBL.

Some of our facilities are great... like the PBL rooms and our first year classroom. Other parts of the school/hospital are old and yucky. But I think most places are like this.

As for living here, I suppose the weather isn't too bad. However, I think Rochester is the most boring place I've ever lived in my entire life (and my dad was in the military, so I've lived everywhere). The Eastman school is great if you like the type of stuff they play. Otherwise, there's nothing to do besides go drink at parties (which gets old very quickly). There are some decent restaurants here. Unfortunately this city doesn't understand the concept of DELIVERY... which is a huge pain when you're stressed and not in the mood to cook.

Overall, I think Rochester is ok. You'll get a decent education (although sometimes I think we learn less basic science than other schools... which could be bad for the boards). Is it better than any other school? Hmmm... I don't think so. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure some of my classmates would disagree.

tinkerbelle said:
A lot of people get in off the waitlist... so you never know.

I think parts of our curriculum are awesome. I love how our histo/physio/anatomy classes are so well integrated and I like the systems based approach our professors take. The professors do a good job of teaching the main concepts and the really important details without making us learn too much useless junk.

Yup, they do make a big deal out of the bio-psycho-social model... I don't know why. I think you'd basically get the same stuff at any medical school. I think they do stress patient interviews a lot and really getting to know what's going on in your patient's life besides the current medical problem. They do give you lectures on non-sciency things, which are sometimes interesting and other times a total waste of time. Frankly, I'd be happy with less bio-psycho-social stuff.

The other thing Rochester likes to stress is PBL. PBL is an awesome way to learn if you have a good group and a good leader. Otherwise, it is the biggest waste of time. I personally hate PBL.

Some of our facilities are great... like the PBL rooms and our first year classroom. Other parts of the school/hospital are old and yucky. But I think most places are like this.

As for living here, I suppose the weather isn't too bad. However, I think Rochester is the most boring place I've ever lived in my entire life (and my dad was in the military, so I've lived everywhere). The Eastman school is great if you like the type of stuff they play. Otherwise, there's nothing to do besides go drink at parties (which gets old very quickly). There are some decent restaurants here. Unfortunately this city doesn't understand the concept of DELIVERY... which is a huge pain when you're stressed and not in the mood to cook.

Overall, I think Rochester is ok. You'll get a decent education (although sometimes I think we learn less basic science than other schools... which could be bad for the boards). Is it better than any other school? Hmmm... I don't think so. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure some of my classmates would disagree.

Hey Tink! I haven't seen you on SDN in a long time :p

I think your post was great...a very honest assessment of medical school :laugh: :thumbup:

Hope you're doing well!! :luck: Congrats on getting through your first semester. I may PM you in the future to ask you some specifics.

~funshine

gotdoc said:

What's wrong with upstate NY???????

j/k - ;)

hey
I 'm from NYC and was a UR undergrad. I’m not gonna lie, Rochester takes some getting used to. However, my friends who are med students there have a lot of fun, they go out a lot more than other friends I have in med school. The city is growing, its not the boroughs, but its not so bad. The curriculum there is amazing, and all of the people I know there love it. Although there are other places I would rather go (I want to stay in the city) I wouldn’t have a problem going back to the ROC. Just bring a warm jacket, and don’t expect to see the sun a 8 months out of the year.

tinkerbelle said:

That sums up Rochester pretty well. After 4 years of undergrad there, I can definitively say Rochester sucks. If you have the option, go to another medical school. The combination of a boring "city", 8 months of horribly depressing weather, and the grind of medical school is just too much.

Nevertheless, to each his (or her) own.

Have a nice day.