Thoughts on UCSD v. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpenglow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to hear any personal experiences having to do with attendance at UCSF and UCSD - both good and bad. I know that they are both great schools, so thank you for not replying with US News rankings. I am looking for personal feelings, "a day in the life" stories, what it is like to live in these area, etc. Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at both and am interested in opinions as well.

Have you interviewed at either or both schools? If you did, I am sure that I don't have to tell you about the major differences in curriculum and grading scales.

Members don't see this ad :)
one thing i can tell about UCSD as an undergraduate is that La Jolla is DEFINITELY not a college town. Great area transportation (UCSD shuttle) but campus life is non-existent (which I guess isn't as big of a deal if you're 21 applying now) and there isn't a whole lot to do in the immediate vicinity.

I hear life as a grad student/med student at UCSD is MUCH better than undergrad though.

Oh yeah, if you love the beach you can't beat ucsd. hop skip and a jump away (west end of campus is pretty much walking distance). And trust me, the weather is much better on Gilman Drive than Parnassus Ave.

I was just rejected at UCSF and still waiting to here from UCSD. Really, when comparing schools like this its a no lose situation. Personally, id go to UCSD if accepted at both. I just like southern california and the san diego area so much better than the bay area. Despite the fact i like UCSF's cirriculum more than UCSD id be much happier living in San diego than in San fran. Its a great decision to have to make if you have to. It like picking between hallie berry and beyonce. good luck

I'd like living in SF more than SD. First of all, there is so much to explore in SF. There are many cool neighborhoods like Hayes Valley, the Mission, and the Haight that have bars, clubs, cafes, restaurants, and lots of shops. Each neighborhood has its own flavor, and it is really hard to not love them all. UCSF is located adjacent to Haight-Ashbury. I've been to SD once, and I believe the Gas Lamp district is the only place that has a bar/club scene at night. I could be wrong.

There are also many things to do outside of SF, too. Napa and Sonoma are within an a one hour drive. Point Reyes National Seashore is a great place to go on weekends. Santa Cruz is also close by. Lake Tahoe is also a couple of hours (I think 2-3) away if you like to do stuff in the snow. SD has Tijuana and Mexico close by, but I've heard that you have to drive farther south to Ensenada to get a better taste of Baja.

In terms of surfing, SD is definetely better, however, there are a few spots outside of SF in Marin that are decent but require a wetsuit.

I don't know. Perhaps I think it depends on what you like. SF is very urban, UCSD isn't. Check both out for yourself and decide. I moved to SF from Washington D.C. a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. :luck:

i am originally from the bay area and have attended UCSD for past 5 years for BS and MS and am now living in Pacific Beach working at UCSD. comments about UCSD lacking the college life are definately true, but i still love the area and my school. i havent left yet. graduate life at UCSD, especially med school, is supposed to be much better. all the med students i know are extremely pleased with their decisions. i am more of a norcal person and prefer the trees and fog of the bay area. i got rejected from UCSF and interviewed and waitlisted at UCSD. it would be hard for me to decide between the two, location makes me want to choose UCSF but i think in the end i would choose UCSD, i like the curriculum, loove the area, the opportunties are great. but who cares i want to go to davis!

So far I got into UCSD, only interview so far at UCSF... (BTW anyone know when they start dishing out acceptances?) I've been rationalizing the two based on what I've seen...

Curriculum Organ based at 18 hours/week vs traditional at 26 hours/week. Both HPF. I think I prefer the Organ based, and it's also cool how UCSF gives you a packet every week with all your notes for all your classes. I think UCSD does something similar but not sure. All I know is that the schedule of my student host at UCSD looked horrible! I'm definitely one of those people that teaches myself so this one goes to UCSF.

School UCSF has no undergrad with it, so it's a lot tinier. Also, housing there is rediculously expensive. UCSD has a beautiful campus, but the facilities at UCSF are nicer. Tough call.

Research Both schools have crazy research, but I'm into biomedical engineering research, which UCSF doesn't have. One of the problems with no undergrad is that the research opportunities are limited in scope to just strict medicine. Definitely need to look into this more though. Giving this one to UCSD just because of my interests.

Prestiege As much as I think this is BS, most of the rest of the world doesn't. It was eye opening to see at my interview day at UCSF everyone from Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. and I'm the poor white boy on scholarship from USC. Obviously the med schools care, and this leads me to believe residencies will too. Goes to UCSF.

Citylife Lots of options in the Bay, didn't see much in SD. SD does have Black's beach with some nice surf and babes. Also the bay is soooo expensive. Blew like 400$ at the weekender against Cal. Between the taxi's, bus, cost of food, entertainment. Also, the weather completely sucks in SF. The whole time I'm there it was like being in a steam sauna, but at freezing cold temperatures. Givin in to UCSD in praise of the surf gods.

If I do end up at UCSF, I think I'll be the only one rocking board shorts, tank tops, and flip flops all year round! :smuggrin: Seems like my lifestyle fits UCSD better, but UCSF has a one up on the academics. So tough to decide. I vote we switch the campuses and all go chill down in SD :laugh:

UCSD: from what I've been told and have experienced (i did undergrad there) the student support is practically non-existant. you got problems? good luck. check out UCSF... and congrats on getting into either.

My thoughts on UCSD vs. UCSF: they both put me on pre-interview hold, so they can both go to hell. :smuggrin:

However, if they extend me an interview, then I'll :love: them. :laugh:

Thanks for everyone's input! To answer the interview questions, I have been accepted at UCSD, and interviewed recently at UCSF. I am still in shock that I'm actually going to medical school! I'm sure that I'll be happy at UCSD regardless of how my other interviews turn out. I hope that I eventually have this tough choice to make!

Thanks again for the info, and good luck to everyone :luck:

I think the schools have pretty different personalities. I've heard (my friend is an M1 at UCSF) that UCSF is super supportive of the students and definitely encourages student imput on everything. She also said that although SF is a large city, they have their own little community (but still have the city life there when they want it.) For me I really didn't think i would like UCSF because I'm not really a city girl, but when i interviewed there I LOVED it! I haven't heard from UCSD, however, but if I got into UCSF I wouldn't think twice. I have *heard* (from a M2 at Davis) that the med students at UCSD aren't very happy/supported. No personal experience though.