thoughts on USC's IM program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyguy909

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been going through USC's IM website and have not been able to access their fellowship matches. Does anyone have a link or a document about this? Also, if there are current residents from USC on the forum, could you provide us with some insight into the programs's strengths and weaknesses?

Members don't see this ad.

From years past, one of the underwhelming features of USC has been an unimpressive match list, this seems to be the sentiment of many of the people who interviewed there. I am also curious if the fellowship match has improved in the past years or is this simply due to a large number of their graduates wanting to become hospitalists or go private practice in SoCal.

From years past, one of the underwhelming features of USC has been an unimpressive match list, this seems to be the sentiment of many of the people who interviewed there. I am also curious if the fellowship match has improved in the past years or is this simply due to a large number of their graduates wanting to become hospitalists or go private practice in SoCal.

Oh, that's unfortunate. Would it be safe to say that the match list for Cedars might actually be better than SC? I just know that UCLA and UCSD are not happening for me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, that's unfortunate. Would it be safe to say that the match list for Cedars might actually be better than SC? I just know that UCLA and UCSD are not happening for me...

That I don't know. Only way to find out is by interviewing :p Did you apply to Scripps?

That I don't know. Only way to find out is by interviewing :p Did you apply to Scripps?

Nope, only 4 CA schools for me. Is Scripps supposed to be pretty solid? I'm still deciding whether or not to go on the SC interview. I think I will probably check it out though.

Nope, only 4 CA schools for me. Is Scripps supposed to be pretty solid? I'm still deciding whether or not to go on the SC interview. I think I will probably check it out though.

From what I hear, Scripps is solid. A couple of my school have matched there in the past and they have raved about it. I plan on going on the interview, I'm sure you will match in a decent spot for a fellowship coming out of there.

From what I hear, Scripps is solid. A couple of my school have matched there in the past and they have raved about it. I plan on going on the interview, I'm sure you will match in a decent spot for a fellowship coming out of there.

Just checked out Scripps and it definitely looks pretty solid. Now I'm wondering if it is way too late to add Scripps on ERAS...

So you are planning to go on the Scripps interview or the SC one?

Just checked out Scripps and it definitely looks pretty solid. Now I'm wondering if it is way too late to add Scripps on ERAS...

So you are planning to go on the Scripps interview or the SC one?

Most likely both since I have them pretty closely scheduled. I told the wife we can make it a Cali trip and take our little one to disneyland.

Actually just did my away at SC and I did county wards. Was my top choice before the month and it this hasn't changed. I have others aways set up so I dont know if it will change after. Residents seemed happy and the match list this last year seemed good to me (Onc and NIH and Stanford, lots of Cards matches). Pathology is great and most faculty teach a lot. I applied to Scripps but don't know much about the program, looking forward to the interview so I learn more about it.

Actually just did my away at SC and I did county wards. Was my top choice before the month and it this hasn't changed. I have others aways set up so I dont know if it will change after. Residents seemed happy and the match list this last year seemed good to me (Onc and NIH and Stanford, lots of Cards matches). Pathology is great and most faculty teach a lot. I applied to Scripps but don't know much about the program, looking forward to the interview so I learn more about it.

In your opinion did the residents seem happy? Also, if you know, are most of the residents originally from the California area, AMGS, etc? Thanks for you post!

In your opinion did the residents seem happy? Also, if you know, are most of the residents originally from the California area, AMGS, etc? Thanks for you post!

Yeah, they seemed happy to me. They also got along really well and helped each other out a lot. I don't know about most of the residents, but all the members of my team were American grads - only one Intern was from California on my team. Others I met seemed to be from all over. I was told that that the intern class this year was mostly American grads and my upper level thinks they had a good match with a great class

USC used to be an img-friendly county hospital until a few years back, when the PD changed and now it's a predominantly AMG program. A friend of mine is an attending there and she said as a resident they worked very hard but learned a lot and she seemed happy enough to stay on.

Yeah, they seemed happy to me. They also got along really well and helped each other out a lot. I don't know about most of the residents, but all the members of my team were American grads - only one Intern was from California on my team. Others I met seemed to be from all over. I was told that that the intern class this year was mostly American grads and my upper level thinks they had a good match with a great class

great-thanks so much for the insight. i will definitely plan on interviewing there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good stuff. I am definitely now more excited to interview there. :)

did u guys have a ridiculous time just trying to schedule your interview?? there's gotta be a better system...

Scheduling wasn't that bad for me. They take from outside CA too (few from my school, they all say they like it there). I hear fellowship match is improving- I'll ask when I check it out I guess... Would be nice to end up in SoCal though (also checking out Cedars, Scripps & UCLA).

Scheduling wasn't that bad for me. They take from outside CA too (few from my school, they all say they like it there). I hear fellowship match is improving- I'll ask when I check it out I guess... Would be nice to end up in SoCal though (also checking out Cedars, Scripps & UCLA).

I'm really looking forward to this interview. I love SoCal, I just hope they can show me a solid path to a fellowship.

Residencies in Southern California:

1. UCLA
2. UCSD/Harbor UCLA
3. Cedars Sinai
4. Olive View
5. Kaiser Sunset
6. UC Irvine/USC

There are others but if you're down to those you better have a really really good reason to want to be in Southern CA (a serious relationship or family issues). You'd be better off doing a university program at a less competitive university such as University of Utah or something close to California but not IN california.

hey,

would you mind clarifying what makes USC so bad? are their fellowship matches not as good?

1. UCLA
2. UCSD/Harbor UCLA
3. Cedars Sinai
4. Olive View
5. Kaiser Sunset
6. UC Irvine/USC

There are others but if you're down to those you better have a really really good reason to want to be in Southern CA (a serious relationship or family issues). You'd be better off doing a university program at a less competitive university such as University of Utah or something close to California but not IN california.

hey,

would you mind clarifying what makes USC so bad? are their fellowship matches not as good?

I feel like USC and Irvine should be better than Cedars which is definitely a legit community program. USC and Irvine are both solid med schools which research money. I am going to check out both and make my decision from there. Irvine seems like a cool program, I just hope the facilities are nice.

1. UCLA
2. UCSD/Harbor UCLA
3. Cedars Sinai
4. Olive View
5. Kaiser Sunset
6. UC Irvine/USC

I'm not going to pretend to know how those programs should be ranked, but I have to say that your list is a little different from what I've heard. My mentor has been pushing me toward academic versus community programs, so I'm more excited about places like USC and UCI than Kaiser etc. He also recommended considering the patient population, which from what I hear varies greatly among those programs.

I feel like USC and Irvine should be better than Cedars which is definitely a legit community program. USC and Irvine are both solid med schools which research money. I am going to check out both and make my decision from there. Irvine seems like a cool program, I just hope the facilities are nice.

I agree with Ron Swanson.

Talking to people who interviewed at USC, none were impressed with the program at all. A few of them really liked Irvine, because it's more cush and is overall less of a clusterf*** when compared with the downtown LA population that you'll get at USC.
Fellowship placement seem to be comparable for the two, though.

Oh, another thing. USC seems to give everyone and anyone interviews. I know a couple guys with really low step scores (one failed once) who got USC interviews. I don't know if that's purely due to the size of the program, or if it's any indication of their attractiveness to prospective applicants.

As a current USC Intern, I really like the program and so glad I matched here. Pathology is great, the program director is awesome, and I feel I'll come out of training as a great doctor. My intern class gets along really well and they are a great group of smart hard-working doctors. Attendings are approachable and teach a lot. I don't regret my choice of this program at all. If you have specifics regarding Intern life here shoot me some questions.

1. UCLA
2. UCSD/Harbor UCLA
3. Cedars Sinai
4. Olive View
5. Kaiser Sunset
6. UC Irvine/USC

You forgot to add Loma Linda University, which is a solid university program in the SoCal area. I'm not sure if the list was made as a strict ranking or not, but I diagree about putting any Kaiser program above any university program as a general rule. I like the SoCal programs like this for general "academic" rank:

1. UCLA
2. UCSD
3. USC/UC-Irvine
4. Loma Linda
5. Cedars/Harbor/Olive View
6. Any Kaiser
7. Any other community program

You forgot to add Loma Linda University, which is a solid university program in the SoCal area. I'm not sure if the list was made as a strict ranking or not, but I diagree about putting any Kaiser program above any university program as a general rule. I like the SoCal programs like this for general "academic" rank:

1. UCLA
2. UCSD
3. USC/UC-Irvine
4. Loma Linda
5. Cedars/Harbor/Olive View
6. Any Kaiser
7. Any other community program

I agree with the guy with the Dark Tower avatar. Except I heard UCSD AND USC are better than UCLA.

Cedars is a research institution, and becoming more so. It isn't some regular community program. Also, cedars doesn't have it's own med school, but is one of the main hospitals UCLA students rotate at.

Cedars is a research institution, and becoming more so. It isn't some regular community program. Also, cedars doesn't have it's own med school, but is one of the main hospitals UCLA students rotate at.

I think Cedars, like CPMC, falls into a 'community program-plus' category: yeah, they're both community programs, but both hospitals have research, attract decent residents/fellows, and both are rotating hospitals for some excellent med schools

I agree with the guy with the Dark Tower avatar. Except I heard UCSD AND USC are better than UCLA.

Depends on what you want to do. UCLA has the bigger academic nuts, but for most things going to a UCSD or USC won't have that big of an impact on your career. Getting into a top 5 cards, GI, or heme/onc will simply be much easier coming out of UCLA, but after that things equalize pretty quickly as long as you have good letters and research.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with Cedars and no one implied otherwise. There are a good bunch of community programs that are much more "academic" and do a lot of research - CCF comes to mind, and even "the world famous" Mayo clinic technically. None of that changes how I see the program in the world of academic medicine. It's a gorgeous hospital in a nice part of town, and I don't think the patient population sucks as much as some people put forward. I ranked it. (though they gave me no love for fellowship :( . . . :laugh:)

Nothing wrong with Cedars and no one implied otherwise. There are a good bunch of community programs that are much more "academic" and do a lot of research - CCF comes to mind, and even "the world famous" Mayo clinic technically. None of that changes how I see the program in the world of academic medicine. It's a gorgeous hospital in a nice part of town, and I don't think the patient population sucks as much as some people put forward. I ranked it. (though they gave me no love for fellowship :( . . . :laugh:)

I felt like Scripps ~=~Cedars in terms of training. I decided to apply to Scripps based on the smaller PGY-1 size and in house heme-onc/cards.

I am a current resident at USC. The program is very good. I am not sure why people speak of it being hard now, as it has adopted a non-overnight call system with night float. As far as learning, you see many common illnesses as would be expected from a county system. So you grow to know those things cold. You also see pathology that needs to be learned but rarely seen. If you come to there to work and learn and participate, you will come out VERY strong. Matching to fellowship is also very good, although I have seen alot of threads that say otherwise. You of course need to do research while there and establish relationships with the faculty, as is the case anywhere. Fellowship directors all over know that if they take a USC resident it will be a strong fellow clinically. Hence, matching is good if you are matchable. Any lacking in the numbers comes likely from people who did not put in effort above there normal rotations or those who are unwilling to leave the area. That being said, many of my friends are matching in S. Cal fellowship programs. USC itself takes its own as well, generally 50/50. Oh yes, and as far as training, USC is best among ALL programs in S. Cal hands down. We have a high level of autonomy which goes hand in hand with experience style learning, not just book learning. I am a third year and moonlight without any apprehension or reservation in my knowledge base.

Furthermore, every department has attending physicians who are at the top of there game. Not that you necessarily work with each of these people, but you have the potential of interaction at some point with any one of them. Hematology - the guy who invented PT/PTT, Cardiology - the world leader on valvular disorders, Pulmonary - the most experienced bronchoscopist in S. Cal by numbers, to name a few.

Last edited:
I am a current resident at USC. The program is very good. I am not sure why people speak of it being hard now, as it has adopted a non-overnight call system with night float. As far as learning, you see many common illnesses as would be expected from a county system. So you grow to know those things cold. You also see pathology that needs to be learned but rarely seen. If you come to there to work and learn and participate, you will come out VERY strong. Matching to fellowship is also very good, although I have seen alot of threads that say otherwise. You of course need to do research while there and establish relationships with the faculty, as is the case anywhere. Fellowship directors all over know that if they take a USC resident it will be a strong fellow clinically. Hence, matching is good if you are matchable. Any lacking in the numbers comes likely from people who did not put in effort above there normal rotations or those who are unwilling to leave the area. That being said, many of my friends are matching in S. Cal fellowship programs. USC itself takes its own as well, generally 50/50. Oh yes, and as far as training, USC is best among ALL programs in S. Cal hands down. We have a high level of autonomy which goes hand in hand with experience style learning, not just book learning. I am a third year and moonlight without any apprehension or reservation in my knowledge base.

Furthermore, every department has attending physicians who are at the top of there game. Not that you necessarily work with each of these people, but you have the potential of interaction at some point with any one of them. Hematology - the guy who invented PT/PTT, Cardiology - the world leader on valvular disorders, Pulmonary - the most experienced bronchoscopist in S. Cal by numbers, to name a few.

Thanks for the insiders posts guys. I read somewhere that the past few years they became less FMG friendly. Is this true or are there still a large number of FMG's they accept?

First year Pulmonary/Critical Care fellow at USC. A few thoughts specific to my experience:

--The ICU experience is probably above average at USC. However, USC has no telemetry beds. The unit is open--the decision on whether to admit to the floor or ICU is made not by a screening resident or an intensivist, but by the ED or the floor. This dilutes the ICU.

--Floor codes are largely run by the ED. Being pushed aside on codes by the ED is a *major* weak point in an internal medicine program.

--Procedures are excellent, and the residents I've worked with seem to have no trouble getting their numbers. They're better at paracenteses after internship than I am. I've let a few intubate, though this is the exception among the fellows.

--A big residency is going to have a high RDW. The top of the bell curve is as good as anywhere. The bottom is really dangerously atrocious.

--Lots of inbreeding. Standards of care depend on what USC happens to do, largely dictated by a few important faculty members. Trying to do something that USC isn't routinely used to is a major struggle. Residents aren't exposed to the variety of opinions I'm accustomed to.

I'm going to throw out a little East Coast-West Coast rivalry here. I did residency in New York because I wanted a lot of patients and a lot of faculty from a lot of different places saying lots of different things. I got that. I came to USC because I wanted better surgical exposure and a different view from the Manhattan way of doing critical care. I got that too.

USC will give you really excellent IM training if (and only if) you apply yourself. But despite the LA County sheen, it *is* in many ways an ivory tower. If you're coming to USC, or anywhere that's not top-10, with the hope of matching into a specialty at the same place, I'd strongly discourage you from doing so. You will get a distorted outlook that's based more on culture than evidence, and the bigger the institution the bigger the bias.

First year Pulmonary/Critical Care fellow at USC. A few thoughts specific to my experience:

--The ICU experience is probably above average at USC. However, USC has no telemetry beds. The unit is open--the decision on whether to admit to the floor or ICU is made not by a screening resident or an intensivist, but by the ED or the floor. This dilutes the ICU.

--Floor codes are largely run by the ED. Being pushed aside on codes by the ED is a *major* weak point in an internal medicine program.

--Procedures are excellent, and the residents I've worked with seem to have no trouble getting their numbers. They're better at paracenteses after internship than I am. I've let a few intubate, though this is the exception among the fellows.

--A big residency is going to have a high RDW. The top of the bell curve is as good as anywhere. The bottom is really dangerously atrocious.

--Lots of inbreeding. Standards of care depend on what USC happens to do, largely dictated by a few important faculty members. Trying to do something that USC isn't routinely used to is a major struggle. Residents aren't exposed to the variety of opinions I'm accustomed to.

I'm going to throw out a little East Coast-West Coast rivalry here. I did residency in New York because I wanted a lot of patients and a lot of faculty from a lot of different places saying lots of different things. I got that. I came to USC because I wanted better surgical exposure and a different view from the Manhattan way of doing critical care. I got that too.

USC will give you really excellent IM training if (and only if) you apply yourself. But despite the LA County sheen, it *is* in many ways an ivory tower. If you're coming to USC, or anywhere that's not top-10, with the hope of matching into a specialty at the same place, I'd strongly discourage you from doing so. You will get a distorted outlook that's based more on culture than evidence, and the bigger the institution the bigger the bias.

I'm a former USC grad, just recently left the program. I'm friends with the current chief residents so I just have to put in my two cents about this post.

1. We do NOT have an open ICU, there is a specific medicine PGY3s and an internal medicine atttending who screen all patients coming up to the ICU from the ED or the floor. I know for a fact this has not changed since I left the program. I don't think this pulm fellow knows since he did not actually attend the residency and the pulm fellows in general have very little to do with the ED or the medicine floor unless they are on pulm consult.

2. We actually do a pretty good job with fellowship matches. For the past 10 years we matched >90% of the people applying to a fellowship program. From last year my friends matched to a bunch of places: Heme-Onc to Stanford, NIH, Irvine, Mayo, USCD; Cards to Kettering, USC, Albert-Einstien, Providence MI; Nephro to Cedars, Olive View, Vanderbilt, UC Houston, etc. We also had people match to PPCM, endo, rheum. I think is actually a strong point that a lot of people also match into Cards, GI, PCCM from residency program itself. For example last year we only had three people apply to GI, 2 of them matched at SC because they wanted to stay. One didn't match but only ranked 1 place. If you want to stay in Cali then why wouldn't you want to go to a program that takes its own. We generally match at least 1-2 people in Cards and GI from the program to the fellowship each year.

3. In terms of procedures I agree, I felt totally comfortable when I left. By my 4th month of intern year I was signed off on all central lines, paracentesis, etc.

4. The pathology is excellent. Some of my favorites that I personally took care of were a Wegner’s with Hgb of 1.4, Neurosyphillis with neuro gumma, Cardiac amyloidosis, Full blown carcinoid, Nevoid BCC syndrome, pulmonary mucor, congenital hepatic fibrosis diagnosed in adulthood, etc. Plus you get a lot of the bread and butter things too. We have our own HIV/AIDS center, dedicated neurosyphillis clinic, leprosy clinic, etc. All kinds of random things that I don’t think a lot of other programs have.

5. It is a big program, definitly you should take that into account when you rank and apply. I loved it. Attendings and residents of the IM program are great, really nice and personable.

I'm going to assume you haven't yet worked in a closed ICU.

Without getting into too much of a debate, I'll point out that the pulmonary attendings here disagree with your characerization of the ICU as closed. The fact that it's NOT closed is one of the attendings' major complaints.

A closed ICU involves an intensivist screening patients for appropriateness and assuming primary care. This doesn't happen at USC.

We can argue all day about whether USC's system of ICU admissions is a good one--I'm not especially interested in getting into this debate with people who haven't seen other systems, but by absolutely no stretch could anyone consider LAC to have a closed ICU.

Hey Luke,
A quick question, my understanding of a closed ICU was that you had a dedicated ICU service taking care of patients in the ICU. Whereas, an open ICU has a variety of services caring for patients in the ICU. I was a med student at USC and did my 4th yr MICU rotation there a few years back. At that time we had dedicated MICU teams caring for the MICU patients. Surgical patients and neuro patients went to their own respective ICUs. Has this changed? I'm not sure who was screening the patients though. I've gotta say that the biggest drawback to USC and the ICU in particular is that you have to round with Dr. S, and Luke, you know who I'm talkin' about!

A closed ICU involves an intensivist screening patients for appropriateness and assuming primary care.

Incorrect. A closed ICU simply means that a separate ICU team manages the patients in the ICU rather than a general medicine service with an ICU attending/fellow consulting on them.

As to who decides if a patient is sick enough to need this ICU, this will vary among hospitals. In our two hospitals, if the ED says a patient needs the ICU, they get the ICU. They may only get the ICU for a few hours but they're coming. Borderline cases often get a review by the ICU fellow but not always. Floor transfers are at the discretion of the ICU fellow/attending BUT often this gets overridden by the floor charge nurse if the patient will be too much trouble for the floor nurse (i.e. they need ICU level nursing care but not necessarily ICU level physician care).

Where I went to med school (an NYC program with a County hospital similar to LAC), there was a medicine R3 in the ED 24/7 who got to make the admit/discharge; ICU/floor call on every patient the ED wanted to admit. Based on the number of patients we admitted every day, it seems like they just said "OK" every time the ED wanted to admit.

Hi,

I'm a current USC resident, and I can confirm that it is indeed a closed ICU. When patients are in the ICU, the MICU team is the primary (or SICU, or neuro etc). The MICU team does not act as a consulting service to the patients in the ICU. So, by technical terms, its a closed ICU.

Who gets admitted to the ICU is mainly an ED decision, but we do have a 3rd yr resident in the ED checking out who is slated for the ICU and whether its appropriate.

Regarding fellowship match, we have been doing quite well. All of our program took internal candidates, which just goes to show that they have faith in our training. We also had a lot of matches to strong outside programs. If you are interested in a fellowship, there are research opportunities at your fingertips. With some big names in each field as well.

We also get to see some great cases, and get very comfortable managing complicated patients. The amount of autonomy is great. Our residents work hard, but I hardly ever feel scutted out.

I am very happy at USC and would recommend it. :thumbup:

Again guys, not strictly true. At any given time any one of the several wings of what is ostensibly the medical ICU is populated by neurosurgery patients, ENT patients, OB/GYN patients who are cared for by their respective specialties rather than by the intensivists.

If by "closed ICU" you mean only that medicine teams don't follow their patients once they hit the unit, that's certainly true. This, however, is not the definition of a closed ICU.

I understand the desire to defend USC. It's a great place. I'm not saying it's not. I ranked it first for a reason knowing its ICU system. To call our MICU a closed unit, however, reflects a misunderstanding of what a closed ICU is. Having worked in both systems, I know which one I prefer. There are advantages to both and reasons for County to have the system it does. But you're not going to turn a rabbit into a duck by putting a beak on it.

USC has plenty of strengths. Its ICU triage and admissions management system isn't one, and I challenge you find a single attending here who thinks otherwise.

If by "closed ICU" you mean only that medicine teams don't follow their patients once they hit the unit, that's certainly true. This, however, is not the definition of a closed ICU.

Yes that is the exact definition of a closed ICU. To the hospital administration, ICU beds are ICU beds, the floor they're on is irrelevant. This is true in any/every hospital in the US.

Our MICU staff has a policy that they will not manage MICU patients who are not physically in the MICU, but nobody gets bent out of shape if the SICU or Neuro ICU teams have patients who are physically located in what somebody one day labeled the MICU. I can't imagine why you would give a s**t if the patient in bed 2 in "your ICU" was a SICU or Trauma ICU patient as long as you didn't have to manage them.

Yes that is the exact definition of a closed ICU. To the hospital administration, ICU beds are ICU beds, the floor they're on is irrelevant. This is true in any/every hospital in the US.

Our MICU staff has a policy that they will not manage MICU patients who are not physically in the MICU, but nobody gets bent out of shape if the SICU or Neuro ICU teams have patients who are physically located in what somebody one day labeled the MICU. I can't imagine why you would give a s**t if the patient in bed 2 in "your ICU" was a SICU or Trauma ICU patient as long as you didn't have to manage them.

Some days I pray for the overflow of patients I DON'T have to manage :laugh:

Some days I pray for the overflow of patients I DON'T have to manage :laugh:

I moonlight on the Onc/BMT service (which shouldn't be a surprise) which is located on 2 floors of our newest/fanciest hospital building. One of the floors is almost all BMT while the other is shared with Med Onc, Surg Onc, Gyn Onc and random other services. I get paged for essentially every issue with every patient on those two floors regardless of which service they are actually managed by simply because there's one pager for the entire BMT/Onc service and it's easier to just page that than actually figure out who "owns" the patient and paging the right service (even though the appropriate night time pager number is located next to the patient's name on the census board). Last night ~1/2 of the pages I got were for patients not on my service.

I can't imagine why you would give a s**t if the patient in bed 2 in "your ICU" was a SICU or Trauma ICU patient as long as you didn't have to manage them.

Because these patients code too, and even when they don't it's frustrating and demoralizing for the nurses when they don't have an easily available intensivist to address the many issues that come up in the course of an ICU day. It weakens any sense of unit cohesiveness and accountability.

I'm certain we don't need to lecture each other on the definition of a closed ICU--I'm sure you've read the same definitions in which it's defined as every patient in the unit being managed by or having a mandatory consult from an intensivist. Fact of the matter is, you don't get a free pass from this simply by calling a patient a "boarder."

And this is why in various initiatives like Leapfrog a closed ICU isn't enough and has to be combined with multidisciplinary rounds, 24-hour availabilty, etc. The model ICU isn't defined by a bunch of patients who happen to make their way to the unit, get followed mostly but not-all-the-time by intensivists, and then make their way out without direct physician-to-physician signout.

But since we're talking about USC, let's redirect to that. I'll again emphasize that I'm giving my take on what goes on here. If this is a ra-ra-USC-is-the-best-residency-in-the-world thread, please let me know so I can bow out. It's a great place but it has its flaws.

The hospital course of a typical County ICU patient:

1. Patient comes to the ED
2. Patient is managed (unusually effectively, usually) by the ED
3. ED decides to send patient to the ICU--calls the medical consult
4. Medical consult will listen to a bit about the patient, occasionally try to redirect the patient to the floor, and sometimes assist in some of the medical management. This is largely consult dependent. Some are excellent, some not.
5. Patient arrives on the unit
6. ICU team hears about the patient after the patient arrives on the floor. The patient is not even assigned a team, in fact, until after they've physically arrived in the unit. This often means that a patient who presumably is by definition critically ill has not physician caring for them for the time it takes this team to get assigned, often 15-30 minutes.
7. Patient is managed. Signout on the patient is obtained from either an overwhelmed medical consult who knows only the basic details about the patient and very often has not seen them, or from the ED's note. To speak to the ED directly about a patient's course requires at least two calls by an accepting team: One to the medical consult, who will give the ED's number, and then to the ED. We have variable luck getting in touch with the treating ED MD in a timely fashion. Again for patients who are presumably critically ill.
8. Patient gets managed and stabilized for floor.
9. Upon transfer to the floor, a transfer note is written and the patient is sent to the floor. There is no standard for resident-to-resident communication upon transfer. ICU patients are transferred out with a note in the electronic record.

This is how it happens. Is it adequate? Probably. Is it ideal? Absolutely not. If you're considering USC as a residency there will be many positives. I'll emphasize again, I believe the ICU is one of them or I wouldn't have chosen to come here. But the system, like many large hospitals, has major transfer and accountability issues.

If you're used to a model in which you receive report about a patient before they arrive so that you can immediately provide them adequate care, and in which you give report to an accepting physician before they leave so you can ensure they continue to receive adequate care, you will be disappointed. Nurses have figured this out. We have not. It's a flaw, and can be improved. USC isn't perfect--it's a great place to train and I'm looking forward to continuing to meet residents who are enthusiastic about making it even better.

I'm not going to diss USC in terms of its medical school and residency experience. In fact, it's incredible. The pathology you see and the patients you manage can be an extremely revealing and educational path.

However, the reputation of USC is still lackluster - this may change I'm not sure but the USC residency program in internal medicine does have a history (and histories are always difficult to overcome) of being less than impressive. The new hospital is amazing and their fellowship programs are awesome to say the least (friends in the cards and GI programs as well as friends who are attendings there now). I came seriously close to ranking this place high for cards fellowship.

In terms of my previous rankings, there's no way any of the SoCal programs are considered more prestigious than UCLA, sorry. Harbor-UCLA is an amazing place as well and they do extremely well with fellowship matches. The training they get is really amazing. People keep touting UCSD and I agree it's an amazing medical school but UCSD has some DOs which turned me off to it when interviewing.

Cedars Sinai is better than Scripps. Scripps Green doesn't even have an emergency room for goodness sake! Cedars residents also rotate at the VA and the Cedars system is extremely involved in academic pursuit more so than most people realize. Just because a program is community based does not mean it has no academic influence. Cedars Sinai has incredible influence in current medical practice. It's much better than CPMC as well though they're close.

Of all the university programs in SoCal, UCI is the worst. Kaiser Sunset may be similar to UCI's training (though UCI may sound better) but the benefit of Kaiser is matching into its own specialties (which are many). UCI rarely takes its own for cards and GI. The UCI hospital is beautiful though. I ranked USC with UCI only because of reputation purposes but I think the training at USC would be better.

And that leaves discussion about the Kaiser programs (NorCal and SoCal). From my personal experience, Kaiser programs are actually really good in terms of training, though the name may be less prestigious. The Kaiser fellowship programs are actually really good and majority of people who go into them are from pretty good residency programs. The volume is huge in terms of patient population. Kaiser Socal does the most cardiac caths in California with Kaiser Norcal number 2. Kaiser has millions of members and they all get referred to Sunset or San Francisco for tertiary care. I know the cards and GI fellowships are pretty decent.

My opinions are mostly based on personal knowledge and being in the medical community in Socal and Norcal...so take what you will from it.

Last edited:
I just interviewed at USC last week. I was pretty impressed. Morning report was good. Lots of faculty there. It's a lot better than at my medical school where only the chief resident and one faculty shows up. I think that they had a dozen or so faculty there that all contributed. Program Director seemed very friendly, although they interview so many people that he only ends up interviewing half or so of us. I had to stick around afterwards to talk with him. Everyone interviews with him or an Associate Director though. So far I've only interviewed at Kaiser Sunset, Harbor UCLA, Cedars and USC. USC was the most impressive so far. Harbor and Cedars follow. Kaiser seems like a joke, totally set up to be cushy and friendly. Not sure if their focus is on making you as good of a doctor as possible. The PD kept telling me how much money I could make and about the Kaiser benefits. Never spoke about learning. Weird. Cedars and Harbor were nice, but don't seem as resident focused as USC. Weird b/c all the old posts claim that USC is so unfriendly. But the residents that came out to talk with us (and there were about 30 total residents I talked to) seemed to really be happy. Perhaps it's their leadership change? New hospital? Don't know. Anyone else feel the same way?

Hey all,

Just wanted to get some info on the program in Santa Barbara, Cali affiliated with USC. Pros? Cons? Looking to possibly do a subspecialty at some point, and I know that they don't have fellowships really because it is a community based program. Cottage Hospital is the largest private one between LA and San Fran on the coast. I'm not from California so just want to get some info other than what's listed on their web site. Board pass rate is almost 100%, only 7 categorical spots, and listed that 2-3 go on to do fellowships elsewhere per year. Thanks

Hey all,

Just wanted to get some info on the program in Santa Barbara, Cali affiliated with USC. Pros? Cons? Looking to possibly do a subspecialty at some point, and I know that they don't have fellowships really because it is a community based program. Cottage Hospital is the largest private one between LA and San Fran on the coast. I'm not from California so just want to get some info other than what's listed on their web site. Board pass rate is almost 100%, only 7 categorical spots, and listed that 2-3 go on to do fellowships elsewhere per year. Thanks

Hey I interviewed there last week, was really impressed by the feel of the program. Great supportive pd, diverse pathology, went on a ward round and it seems like you will learn a lot by training here. They are building a new hospital which will be ready by feb 2012, pd took us on a tour of the new facility, it was pretty amazing. They treat their residents pretty well. Don't remember details of their fellowship placement but it was decent for a community program. If you have an interview there it's definitely worth checking out. And of course the town of Santa Barbara is beautiful.