thoughts on USC's IM program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey i dont know if anyone can answer this question for me, but i interviewed at USC and really liked it but one of my concerns was that i am not proficient in Spanish and i was wondering how big of deal this is at USC where most patient are only spanish speaking?

As per the residents: helpful, but not required.... You'll probably end up learning on the job.

Members don't see this ad.

As per the residents: helpful, but not required.... You'll probably end up learning on the job.
To add to this, Spanish-speaking patients are not unique to only USC... you're going to find them in abundance in many hospitals all over California and in other states as well. Obviously it is a great skill to have but the vast majority of physicians in California (70-80%) don't know Spanish so until bilingualism is the "standard of care" taught in medical school you're fine not being proficient in the language. I doubt that this is something that would affect the ROL...

Being functionally proficient in medical Spanish really isn't that hard, and as stated, you'll be able to pick it up as you go along.

Someone mentioned a call from a chief resident, anybody else getting this?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea.. one of my friends got a phone call. The other one did not get a phone call, but instead got 2 thank you cards personally signed by the pd and another interviewer. Don't know what to make of that... both are confused now. :)

yea.. one of my friends got a phone call. The other one did not get a phone call, but instead got 2 thank you cards personally signed by the pd and another interviewer. Don't know what to make of that... both are confused now. :)

It doesn't sound very confusing...

I'm very interested in this program. I was wondering how important the abim board pass rates are when considering a residency program? I would imagine if you're a hard-working resident that you're likely going to pass your boards, so it doesn't matter as much what the board pass rates are for a particular program. I noticed that USC's board pass rate for the past 3 years was lower than other university programs, and was just wondering if this has any indication about the strength of the residents matching into the program, or if it's not really something to be concerned with?

Does anyone who interviewed at usc mind posting their match list? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
USC resident here. We do quite well in the fellowship match. I unfortunately can only remember our R3's placement for heme-onc: MSKCC, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Scripps. I believe all applying to heme-onc matched. The ratio of residents going into fellowship appears to be less because many of our residents become hospitalist. They have tons of job options and you can't beat livin in socal. If fellowship is your thing we have lots of research, stellar faculty...

Our program has gone through a great deal of change over the last few years that has substantially improved the quality of training and the competitiveness of the program. The rumors are true we unfortunately have become less IMG friendly. Our most recent intern class hail from top - middle tier med schools(hopkins,nyu, tufts...). We have a "traditional" reputation of malignancy because we are "the county" hospital in la county, the sheer volume of patient's, and the myriad of associated social issues but that's for the most part much improved. On wards we created a team of NP's that accept the "rocks" and we've beefed up our ancillary services. Our team list and clinic encounters are on par with other residency programs. As for our board pass rates, they have been at our above the national avg. Irregardless, this is still not a program for the faint of heart.

interviewed at UCI. pleasant place and nice campus. although they say they match internally most of these internal matches seem to be for the chiefs who actually do 4 years of internal medicine and with that Cards -2 and GI -1 . if you plan to live in irvine, uci is definitely a possibility. if not, it seems like uci has trouble matching outside of the area. training doesnt seem that rigorous.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is horse****.

UCLA>UCSD>USC>cedars=harbor=LLU>UCI=OV>Kaiser
I interviewed at a number of those programs last year and I'd agree, though I might put OV in the same tier as harbor and cedars.

I'd probably put scripps green with the big LA community programs and scripps mercy down with kaiser.

I interviewed at a number of those programs last year and I'd agree, though I might put OV in the same tier as harbor and cedars.

I'd probably put scripps green with the big LA community programs and scripps mercy down with kaiser.

There's some wiggle room in the middle

I agree with wildcatsniper about the UCLA-affiliate programs. I personally interviewed there and thought they had great morning reports and their affiliation to UCLA is a huge advantage. Oliveview rotates at UCLA proper 20-30% of the time and they have great ties with that program if you're looking to get fellowships at UCLA. USC didn't impress me that much when I interviewed there. The interview day seemed staged and it seemed like they were hiding things. During morning report 0/55 USC interns were present suspicious for overworked interns or an entirely staged process. Cedars and Harbor are definitely good training programs. UCI 's morning report seemed a little "basic" for a residency program and from talking with the residents there it seems like many of the residents start with hopes of fellowship but later realize this is not going to happen and just end up doing hospitalist jobs or chief residency then fellowships.

these are my personal rankings UCLA> UCSD> Cedars> Harbor-OV>USC>>UCI=LLU=Kaiser

I wouldn't bank on community programs or affiliated programs doing much to help you going forward, all other things being equal.

I agree with wildcatsniper about the UCLA-affiliate programs. I personally interviewed there and thought they had great morning reports and their affiliation to UCLA is a huge advantage. Oliveview rotates at UCLA proper 20-30% of the time and they have great ties with that program if you're looking to get fellowships at UCLA. USC didn't impress me that much when I interviewed there. The interview day seemed staged and it seemed like they were hiding things. During morning report 0/55 USC interns were present suspicious for overworked interns or an entirely staged process. Cedars and Harbor are definitely good training programs. UCI 's morning report seemed a little "basic" for a residency program and from talking with the residents there it seems like many of the residents start with hopes of fellowship but later realize this is not going to happen and just end up doing hospitalist jobs or chief residency then fellowships.

these are my personal rankings UCLA> UCSD> Cedars> Harbor-OV>USC>>UCI=LLU=Kaiser

Cedars and Harbor UCLA are much better regarded for cardiology fellowship applicants than USC, FWIW. They also have better cardiology fellowship programs than USC.

p diddy

FYI ABIM pass rates :
UCLA 93
UCSD 96
Cedars 89
Harbor 86
OV 83
USC 79

You rarely hear people talk about scripps green when discussing california programs, and it's a shame. Great fellowship matching, great boards pass rate, and solid variety of pathology given its a tertiary care center. It has its downsides like any other program, but for some reason people don't mention it when discussing programs like cedars, OV, or harbor. Sorry for derailing the thread lol.

Does anyone have an accurate fellowship list for USC? Their website, which breaks down 2012 and 2013 (http://www.uscimresidency.com/why-usc/career) is all messed up and I'm not sure which is which.

Looks like A lot of people applied and matched into GI. The program director / apd all seem really nice and approachable. Residents were pretty laid back, but did mention that this is the place for people who like to learn by doing rather than reading. New social workers and new nurses were recently hired to reduce the scutwork that residents do on the floor. + a huge 75 patient non teaching service to absorb rocks. I didn't visit this program with much expectations given SDN's comments on USC, but was pleasantly surprised.

for 2013
cards
usc x 2
uc davis
AECOM
California pacific Medical Center
UCI
Texas heart Institute- Methodist Hospital
Kaiser- Los Angeles
Henry Ford
Harbor UCLA

GI
USC x 4
UCI
Scripts Green
SUNY Brooklyn
UPenn
Kaiser-LA
Scripps Green
Washington Hospital Center- DC
Winthrop Hospital
Virginia Tech
Cook

Pulm Crit
Usc x 2
USI
UCSD
UCSF Fresno

Heme Onc
USC
Cornell x 2
Stanford
UCI
Moffitt- University of South Florida
Boston U

Nephro
USC
Olive View

Endo
UCLA
USC

Rheumatology
usc x 2

ID
USC

Hey guys, I'm a resident at USC and wanted to add more info because this program has changed DRASTICALLY in the past few years and a lot of what was true a few years back isn't the case anymore...made a throw-away account just so I could speak freely.

First off, I would argue that LAC+USC is the best program in all of California when it comes to actual clinical training. If you want to come out of residency knowing that you are prepared to handle anything and everything you will encounter in practice, this is the program for you. Lot's of our patients present in the late-stages of their disease and so we get experience taking care of very sick patients routinely. Lots of our patients come from all around the world without ever seeing a doctor their whole life and present to LAC+USC and get amazing and rare conditions diagnosed. I've often heard the phrase "you'll only see this at County" many times. And its true. The volume of patient flow as well as the complexity of our patients make us incredibly well equipped. On top of that, we get an unbelievable amount of autonomy that really makes us feel comfortable taking care of these patients after a while. Don't get me wrong there is always backup in-house even when you stay overnight when you're an intern ... whether its your senior resident, a fellow, or an attending who I feel no hesitation at all to call when I have a question. But you don't have someone holding your hand all the time... it's scary a little at first but it makes you so much stronger. So I would say that the clinical training is the #1 strength of the program.

The second thing I wanted to mention is the prior reputation of this program. When I was interviewing at other Cali schools I was constantly hearing "don't go to USC... it's malignant" more than once. Then I went on my interview and found the opposite to be true. The PD (Dr. Hsieh) is one of the coolest most laid-back PD's I met. Anyone who has interviewed at USC will definitely agree. And it isn't an act, it's how he is. I can go to him with any concerns and I know he has my back. But more than that, he definitely has turned this program around in the few years he has been PD. There is no longer any malignancy and I feel we are very well taken care of. Don't get me wrong, we still work very hard and I agree with the above post saying "this program is not for the faint of heart". But I feel the program actually is looking out for me. He has frequent meetings with all the house-staff and all the associated PD's where we are given the opportunity to voice any and all complaints with what is happening and we openly discuss solutions and options. Just the fact that we have meetings like that says a lot.

Our morning reports are also unbelievable. In fact I think that was the thing that initially caught my attention about USC. Basically the residents sit on the right side of the room and the left side of the room has lots of attendings all from different fields (heme-onc, pulm/cc, nehprology, etc depending on the topic of the day). Basically one of the residents will present one of our amazing and unique cases that we seem to get everyday and the residents take turns asking about the patient, asking what labs they want, interpreting the labs, and adding to the differential etc. A microphone is passed around and it puts the spotlight on each resident and really makes them think hard. Then the best part is that the multiple attendings from the different fields will also weigh in and add excellent learning points about the disease from their specialties perspective. Some people might not like that style of morning report, I thought it was awesome.

Anyway that's all I can think to write off the top of my head. Overall, I'm VERY happy I chose to come here. USC was my #1 choice and I have no regrets. Oh and Los Angeles isn't bad at all... ha

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a resident at USC and wanted to add more info because this program has changed DRASTICALLY in the past few years and a lot of what was true a few years back isn't the case anymore...made a throw-away account just so I could speak freely.

First off, I would argue that LAC+USC is the best program in all of California when it comes to actual clinical training. If you want to come out of residency knowing that you are prepared to handle anything and everything you will encounter in practice, this is the program for you. Lot's of our patients present in the late-stages of their disease and so we get experience taking care of very sick patients routinely. Lots of our patients come from all around the world without ever seeing a doctor their whole life and present to LAC+USC and get amazing and rare conditions diagnosed. I've often heard the phrase "you'll only see this at County" many times. And its true. The volume of patient flow as well as the complexity of our patients make us incredibly well equipped. On top of that, we get an unbelievable amount of autonomy that really makes us feel comfortable taking care of these patients after a while. Don't get me wrong there is always backup in-house even when you stay overnight when you're an intern ... whether its your senior resident, a fellow, or an attending who I feel no hesitation at all to call when I have a question. But you don't have someone holding your hand all the time... it's scary a little at first but it makes you so much stronger. So I would say that the clinical training is the #1 strength of the program.

The second thing I wanted to mention is the prior reputation of this program. When I was interviewing at other Cali schools I was constantly hearing "don't go to USC... it's malignant" more than once. Then I went on my interview and found the opposite to be true. The PD (Dr. Hsieh) is one of the coolest most laid-back PD's I met. Anyone who has interviewed at USC will definitely agree. And it isn't an act, it's how he is. I can go to him with any concerns and I know he has my back. But more than that, he definitely has turned this program around in the few years he has been PD. There is no longer any malignancy and I feel we are very well taken care of. Don't get me wrong, we still work very hard and I agree with the above post saying "this program is not for the faint of heart". But I feel the program actually is looking out for me. He has frequent meetings with all the house-staff and all the associated PD's where we are given the opportunity to voice any and all complaints with what is happening and we openly discuss solutions and options. Just the fact that we have meetings like that says a lot.

Our morning reports are also unbelievable. In fact I think that was the thing that initially caught my attention about USC. Basically the residents sit on the right side of the room and the left side of the room has lots of attendings all from different fields (heme-onc, pulm/cc, nehprology, etc depending on the topic of the day). Basically one of the residents will present one of our amazing and unique cases that we seem to get everyday and the residents take turns asking about the patient, asking what labs they want, interpreting the labs, and adding to the differential etc. A microphone is passed around and it puts the spotlight on each resident and really makes them think hard. Then the best part is that the multiple attendings from the different fields will also weigh in and add excellent learning points about the disease from their specialties perspective. Some people might not like that style of morning report, I thought it was awesome.

Anyway that's all I can think to write off the top of my head. Overall, I'm VERY happy I chose to come here. USC was my #1 choice and I have no regrets. Oh and Los Angeles isn't bad at all... ha

Thanks, chief resident at USC.

p diddy

Reactions: 1 user

I had a great day at my USC interview. DiD not get the sense of any malignancy. Wish I had saw intern morning report though. We were showed 2nd + 3rd years

With the class size at 55, doesn't it take a lot extra to stand out? Especially if going for fellowship. How can the program director have time to advise and mentor the whole class?

Thanks, chief resident at USC.

p diddy
Ha nice diddy. I'm not a chief or even an upper level resident. Honestly, I'm trying to be objective and non-biased here...but you're right... I should definitely add some possible negatives to the program to help put everything into perspective. First, this is a classic county program.... so you get lots of exposure to LA's homeless population. Lot's of them are drug abusers. We see a higher proportion of HIV and Tb patients as a result. We also have a large spanish population... while knowing spanish is definitely not a must, it definitely helps to be able to know the basics. Personally, I like treating this population because they all are very appreciative of the care they get and you can make a difference. But I can certainly imagine other people seeing the patient population as a concern. If you go into this program expecting a patient population like Cedars Sinai, etc then you are in for a shock. The other downside I can think of is the fact that since it's a county program, lots of tests take longer than at other institutions. TTE's, MRI's, Stress Tests, etc all won't happen the same day (or maybe even the next) and often it can hold up your treatment plan. I imagine its faster at other hospitals. The other thing is that when we order higher level imaging (MRI, CT, etc) that test must be approved by a radiologist. So sometimes when they deny a test, you have to call and fight for your patient a little. But I think that's good too because you learn to order imaging when it is actually indicated and you learn what is appropriate and in what circumstances. But overall it's a small issue that hasn't really been a pain at all. Overall all these issues are only at the county hospital, we spend time 2nd and 3rd year across the street at the private hospital where everything is "normal" and tests happen immediately, etc. So it's nice to get both sides of the coin...it seems like most of the residents prefer county over the private hospital. We work hard regardless of where we are rotating... this is not a walk in the park program but I didn't want that in a program when I was applying. The other major downside is the initial intern pay is low however it bumps up substantially after intern year and from what I hear they are currently working on raising the rate even more. But there is no denying it is low now. The plus though is that parking is free and THEY FEED YOU. SO MUCH. 10 dollars a meal... x 3 meals a day. Thats a lot of food. And you get even more money to spend per meal per day at the private hospital and then even MORE money to spend at the cancer center. Essentially you have unlimited food for 3 years. It's nice. haha.

With the class size at 55, doesn't it take a lot extra to stand out? Especially if going for fellowship. How can the program director have time to advise and mentor the whole class?
Honestly, you may think 55 is a large class... but after a month it really seems small. Each intern is assigned an associate program director at the start of intern year who acts as their actual adviser and even sets you up with research on day 1, its nice not having to spend months hunting for a project. So the PD isn't directly a mentor 1:1 with everyone, its the associate PDs. But the PD is VERY available and if I wanted to run anything by him or just talk about how residency is going, etc... I wouldn't think twice of shooting him an email.

The pay is about 8k less intern year, and even after intern year the pay is still lower than other programs in the area. While the free food is nice, several other programs in the area also offer unlimited food.

Free food is always good for cash-strapped residents. However, like Rivoli mentioned, 8-9K less than most other programs is pretty steep. This forces you to take advantage of the free food to compensate for the decreased salary which essentially forces you to eat whatever's in the cafeteria.

USC def has a lot of pathology and a lot of work. So you will definitely get your training's worth whether you like it or not. If you want a reasonable life and a solid track record of going into fellowship, Cedars is the way to go.

I loved USC on my interview day. As I said the only thing I worried about was the class size. I however did not like the Cedars interview. It sounded like they were making excuses for losing the VA. Training wasn't up to par compared to usc, harbor ucla, and olive view.

Btw did anyone else receive a thank you card in the mail?

I loved USC on my interview day. As I said the only thing I worried about was the class size. I however did not like the Cedars interview. It sounded like they were making excuses for losing the VA. Training wasn't up to par compared to usc, harbor ucla, and olive view.

I got hand-written cards from both interviewers last year.

got thank you cards and a phone call from the chiefs last year saying i was ranked to match.

With regards to USC, is it true that IM residents don't run floor codes? Also, do residents routinely start central lines/intubate?

Last edited:
Received a handwritten note in the mail. It was written in chicken scratch and was pretty generic.

I interviewed at USC and absolutely loved it. I am a DO from a prestigious Cali program and am glad that the program doesn't screen out DOs and bases acceptances on merit. I met several DOs in the program and DO attendings at the program who seemed really smart and friendly and really appreciate the program really looking at the caliber of the applicants and not discounting DOs just because we are not MDs. Props to USC!

I interviewed at USC and absolutely loved it. I am a DO from a prestigious Cali program and am glad that the program doesn't screen out DOs and bases acceptances on merit. I met several DOs in the program and DO attendings at the program who seemed really smart and friendly and really appreciate the program really looking at the caliber of the applicants and not discounting DOs just because we are not MDs. Props to USC!

Wat....

To the USC resident: Why did I see 0/55 USC interns at morning report?

To the USC resident: Why did I see 0/55 USC interns at morning report?
Because interns have their own morning reports scheduled at a different time. It's better that way. Allows the teaching points and overall focus to be directed to what interns need to know.

Seeing as interview season is about to start, I figured I would share my thoughts on USC. I just graduated last year and can probably help clear up anyone's questions regarding the program. Overall I loved my 3 years at USC and in LA. Everyone in the program from the PD to the APDs are very approachable and there is a very collegial atmosphere throughout. There is no malignancy in the program and everyone gets along really well.

I think one of the main strengths of the program is the amazing pathology. You really will see everything and anything here, way more than any other program in SoCal guaranteed. It'll leave you very clinically prepared for the future. Lots of hospitalist groups want USC grads because they know they'll be getting a well-trained physician. The other thing I really liked about the program was how approachable everyone was. I could easily go chat with the PD (great guy) or the APDs. If I ever had a question and the attending wasn't there, I could easily shoot them a text without it being weird.

The PD is very receptive to change and really has the best interest of the residents at heart. He started a new Board Review course where 3rd years are relieved of clinical duties for a week and are given a complimentary board review course.... the board scores have shot up to >96% now. He's also greatly increased the protected didactic time the interns get so they have a strong fund of knowledge when they finish. Everyone knows he will go to bat for any resident at any time.

The other things that shouldn't be overlooked.... FOOD. They give you so much food it is unbelievable. I didn't think this would be a big deal, but don't be mistaken... it's a huge huge deal. You have nearly $25 per meal per day (counting each of the 3 hospitals). That's roughly $75/day. Obviously you won't use all your money every day... but it adds up! Also the union has improved salaries drastically so USC residents are now getting paid as much as other SoCal residents.

If I had to critique the program, I would say that this is a very clinically focused program. You learn by doing and by taking care of patients. It isn’t a “cush” program…. but at the end of the day that’s what makes USC grads very strong clinicians when we leave. And honestly it isn’t too taxing at all. The other thing is that it is a County hospital and you need to be comfortable taking care of the patient population that comes with it. But for me, I love that population since they are so grateful for the care you give. I used to have old critiques about didactics, etc but they’ve now completely revamped them so that you’re protected for the entire afternoon on didactics and it’s much better.

I’m always asked how I feel about having a ‘large’ program of 55 residents and if I felt like I was “lost” in the crowd. Looking back at the past 3 years, I don’t think I ever felt that way. I would say all of us enjoy having a large amount of co-residents. You are able to find coverage for weddings, short trips, etc without any problem because there are so many people able to cover you! Plus we’re all really close and with a large program, there’s usually plenty of people off on any day to hang out. None of the concerns I originally had actually played out.

Overall the program has made drastic changes over the past few years. The days of them accepting lots of IMGs and DOs are gone. It's quite a competitive program now with the last few classes coming from prestigious schools with good scores. And I agree with the people above....these days the general consensus is that USC is hands-down above other local institutions like Cedars Sinai, Harbor-UCLA, UCI, or Olive View and it’s not even close. As always, take any single persons opinion with a grain of salt…. But I had a great 3 years here and would definitely choose USC again.

Seeing as interview season is about to start, I figured I would share my thoughts on USC. I just graduated last year and can probably help clear up anyone's questions regarding the program. Overall I loved my 3 years at USC and in LA. Everyone in the program from the PD to the APDs are very approachable and there is a very collegial atmosphere throughout. There is no malignancy in the program and everyone gets along really well.

I think one of the main strengths of the program is the amazing pathology. You really will see everything and anything here, way more than any other program in SoCal guaranteed. It'll leave you very clinically prepared for the future. Lots of hospitalist groups want USC grads because they know they'll be getting a well-trained physician. The other thing I really liked about the program was how approachable everyone was. I could easily go chat with the PD (great guy) or the APDs. If I ever had a question and the attending wasn't there, I could easily shoot them a text without it being weird.

The PD is very receptive to change and really has the best interest of the residents at heart. He started a new Board Review course where 3rd years are relieved of clinical duties for a week and are given a complimentary board review course.... the board scores have shot up to >96% now. He's also greatly increased the protected didactic time the interns get so they have a strong fund of knowledge when they finish. Everyone knows he will go to bat for any resident at any time.

The other things that shouldn't be overlooked.... FOOD. They give you so much food it is unbelievable. I didn't think this would be a big deal, but don't be mistaken... it's a huge huge deal. You have nearly $25 per meal per day (counting each of the 3 hospitals). That's roughly $75/day. Obviously you won't use all your money every day... but it adds up! Also the union has improved salaries drastically so USC residents are now getting paid as much as other SoCal residents.

If I had to critique the program, I would say that this is a very clinically focused program. You learn by doing and by taking care of patients. It isn’t a “cush” program…. but at the end of the day that’s what makes USC grads very strong clinicians when we leave. And honestly it isn’t too taxing at all. The other thing is that it is a County hospital and you need to be comfortable taking care of the patient population that comes with it. But for me, I love that population since they are so grateful for the care you give. I used to have old critiques about didactics, etc but they’ve now completely revamped them so that you’re protected for the entire afternoon on didactics and it’s much better.

I’m always asked how I feel about having a ‘large’ program of 55 residents and if I felt like I was “lost” in the crowd. Looking back at the past 3 years, I don’t think I ever felt that way. I would say all of us enjoy having a large amount of co-residents. You are able to find coverage for weddings, short trips, etc without any problem because there are so many people able to cover you! Plus we’re all really close and with a large program, there’s usually plenty of people off on any day to hang out. None of the concerns I originally had actually played out.

Overall the program has made drastic changes over the past few years. The days of them accepting lots of IMGs and DOs are gone. It's quite a competitive program now with the last few classes coming from prestigious schools with good scores. And I agree with the people above....these days the general consensus is that USC is hands-down above other local institutions like Cedars Sinai, Harbor-UCLA, UCI, or Olive View and it’s not even close. As always, take any single persons opinion with a grain of salt…. But I had a great 3 years here and would definitely choose USC again.

so what are the things that need improvement....and the things you didn't like.

so what are the things that need improvement....and the things you didn't like.

Honestly I have very few complaints. I will say that I thought my primary care experience wasn't the most ideal (felt chaotic), largely because it was during a transition period where they switched to a new EMR and were moving to newly renovated clinics. I imagine it'll be back to normal in a few months when the new clinics open up.

Honestly I have very few complaints. I will say that I thought my primary care experience wasn't the most ideal (felt chaotic), largely because it was during a transition period where they switched to a new EMR and were moving to newly renovated clinics. I imagine it'll be back to normal in a few months when the new clinics open up.

yeah...right...

sorry, but its harder to believe that you are not here as a cheerleader...no program is perfect.

Well, I don't know about cheerleading, but the USC IM residency is regarded by many PD's to be a much better program now than that of 5-8 years-ago... In general, for any IM residency program: look for solid leadership, no DO's or IMG's unless with Step 1 scores 230 or >, a resident run outpatient clinic, a varied population/pathology, and advancement to strong fellowship programs in solid numbers.

Hey guys,

I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I'm posting because when I was looking for a residency I scoured SDN for as much info on programs as I could to make a good decision. I remember USC posts being out of date with bad impressions, which now that I have done residency there, think need to be corrected/updated.

I did residency at USC and would definitely do it all over again.

It's not made for everyone, but if you will like USC if you like the following:
- A bit more autonomy than smaller, more cush programs
- Want to work with the indigent population that really need your help (you're their last line of help)
- Care about seeing very interesting and broad pathology
- Care about location (I loved working in East LA and living in cool parts of town)
- Like a large class
- Want to do fellowship. Who writes your letters means a lot and USC has some well known people. Only program in LA (not UCLA or UCSD) that I think maybee could be better for fellowship would be Cedars because they pump out research- but it's also a very different program and I definitely would not have been happy there)

It's not made for you if this is you:
- Not completely sure why you did medicine and aren't motivated or hardworking
- Can't empathize with the underserved population and some of the barriers they face outside of the hospital
- Learn through lectures and didactics and don't look up things for yourself
- Like smaller programs

I'm here to answer any questions you may have. Just PM me.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user