Thoughts Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krystanm077

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might get lengthy, but I want to be thorough.

To begin, what I'm looking for are some thoughts on my chances of getting into medical school.

So here goes!

I currently work in a large Children's hospital as an xray tech. I graduated my radiology program with a 3.9gpa and will have about 5 years experience by the time I am ready to apply to medical school.
Currently, I am finishing my undergrad degree, and have a 3.36gpa. I am hoping to improve this, but due to working and family, I have been averaging only B's lately.
Here's the catch (besides my low gpa) - I have about 10 W's. Some of them are from a semester in which I decided to change my major. I withdrew from the classes that I no longer needed and focused on the relevant classes. I received A's in these classes.
2 W's came from a semester in which I was pregnant and lost the baby. I had many complications leading up to that, and just couldn't keep focused.
One W was for an introductory chem class - I took Chem l the next semester and earned a B
Now, I just today withdrew from Chem ll (I missed the drop deadline by 3 days :( ) but plan to take it next semester. I just found out last night that my 6yr old daughter will have 30 min of homework EVERY night, and my chem class was 3 nights/wk. I want to be home with her to help her with her homework and develop a stable, consistent schedule for her, and next semester I can take Chem ll during the day, when she is also in school.

I am wondering if these W's are going to affect my chances of getting into medical school?

I have not taken the MCAT yet.

I am also wondering: with my experience, an improvement in gpa, hopefully a decent MCAT score, and my xray program gpa -- will this outweigh the W's -- and will my chances of acceptance be good?

Thanks for the info/help/advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

There's really no point in speculating without an MCAT score so for now, just focus on doing well in your remaining classes and acing the MCAT.