Thoughts pleasee!!?? Chances of getting in and imporvements I can make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alprimo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soo...it’s my first time posting... long story short..kind of... I started out undergrad in Finance, was unfocused didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and my grades pretty much reflected that I just wanted to get by. My freshman year wasn't the best academically due to my immaturity and no sense of direction. Beginning of my sophomore year I had a couple of personal tragedies/events that furthered me from a positive direction. begging of the semester I lost a very good friend in a car accident, both my grandparents(Who I were extremely close to), and my father lost his job...This was all within a month and half. At this point I was so distraught that school was my last worry. I actually withdrew halfway through the semester due to these family deaths and not being able to pay for school. My father was the main source of my family’s income so after loss of his job I needed to start working full time to help the family out as much as possible. We had to sell two of our three cars due to money problems. My dad myself and mother had one car for transportation back and forth to work while also shuttling my little brother around.

This is when I took a little break from school, about a year off to get my life together. During this time I met my current girlfriend who has motivated me to do something with my life. Dentistry has always been and interest so I decided to pursue it. I decided I will be focused this time around and not let anything slow me down in the process. I started by taking a few classes at a CC, received 2 A's in non prereqs, and an A in Chem 1 Lecture/Lab. Then enrolled back at my old 4 year university and took on a few more classes. Received an A in Bio 1, A in Chem 2 Lab, B in Chem 2 Lecture, and an A in a non prereq. Before going back to school I had a embarrassing 2.82, but after last semester and my transfer credits I have a 3.01. I'm currently enrolled in orgo 1, Bio 2, Cellular BIo, and a non prereq. If I stay on track with mostly A's I’ll be hovering around a 3.2 or so.

I have also been volunteering in my spare time(about 50+ hrs. currently) and have shadowed 3 different dentists for a total of (50-60 hrs.). I plan to continue both throughout this semester till I reach about 100 hrs. each. I am also active in our pre-professional/Medical society, Last semester I put together, developed, and ran a fundraiser in association with a local Alzheimer’s organization. I also plan on studying for the
DAT for about 4 months before taking it in June after my Orgo 2 class. I'm hoping that my upward strong upward trend, dedication to the field of dentistry, and involvement in the community will be enough but I just don't know....

What do you guys think my chances are??? I know DAT score is very important, so lets say I score around 20AA(hypothetical)?? what can I do to improve my chances this time around? I want this more than anything like most of you on here..

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

One last question... My 4 year school gpa still shows the 2.8xxx because they don't factor transfer credit into gpa... Will this make a difference or will adcom a see a total gpa with cc transfer credit included ?? (My 3.0+) ..Thanks

When you apply, AADSAS calculates your gpa based upon your course work from every college and university you've attended. So your overall gpa, overall science gpa, and BCP gpa will be calculated form the dental schools.

In regards to your grades, you're right on track with your upward trend. I suggest to bring up your overall gpa to ~3.3 and it shouldn't pose as too much of a road block for dental schools.

As for your DAT, I would suggest to aim a little higher, probably a 21+ just because your gpa is on the lower end and you really need to prove to D schools that you are capable of entering this profession. Don't get me wrong, a 20AA is a good score; I even made a 20 haha. However, with each cycle becoming significantly more competitive, I think it's best to shoot a little higher (20AA is average for some schools) I was still uneasy with my 20AA. I think, if you want peace of mind, shoot for a 21+ AA and no section under 18.

Are you thinking about applying this upcoming cycle? If you are consider getting a jump on physics I/II and their subsequent labs, biochem, and anatomy/ physiology as a lot of dental schools of these as prereqs for matriculation.

From your post, you seem to really want this and I hope you rock out in your classes this semester! I wish you the best of luck applying. Yeah, applying is hell, but once you get your first acceptance it's all worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response.. And yes this is something that I wan more than anything else!! Appreciate your input... Yes I am applying this coming cycle, prob June right after I finish orgo 2 and take my DAT...
The second half of summer I'm going to take biochem, and the coming fall I plan on taking physics and a few other upper level sciences. Ill def be shooting for a 21+ .. Like the rest of us lol... Do my ec's seem up to par for my stats? Nerves are getting shot the closer applying comes!!

I read somewhere that in 2011 around 14,000 people applied to dental school but only 1000 got 21 or higher. So I think you will be fine if you get a 20 but a 21 obviously wouldn't hurt to fully prove that your early grades are not a reflection of your ability. I think you have an excellent chance of acceptance as long as you maintain a strong upward trend and apply broadly. Make sure you explain all of your hardship in your personal statement and show how it helped you grow as a person and work as hard as you can to become a dentist. They like it when you tie it all together. Circumstances like that will show that your early grades do not reflect badly on you.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply also. I def plan on incorporating my past life experiences into my personal statement ... Wow some pretty interesting stats right there.. Just hope they don't focus on the bad so much but rather the good and increasing grades ..