Thousands of Dead Birds

Started by drwildlife
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drwildlife

SGU Class of 2017?
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not exactly sure where to post this, possibly one of the general forums but I thought it would be interesting to see what the pre-veterinary and veterinary students made of it.

Apparently, thousands upon thousands of dead birds fell out of the sky about 40 minutes from where I live.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=136195&catid=2

65 were collected for testing and have been sent to Game/Fish Commission as well as the National Wildlife Health Center.

😕😕😕😕
 
Umm... 😱

Let's hope some conclusive evidence is obtained from those 65 sent for testing!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I've seen the CNN article too. It's so crazy. Apparently it has happened in other cities too over the past few years.
 
Yeah, I just saw the article on my google news. Crazy! And I'm sure it scared plenty of people that it happened on New Years Eve! It doesn't rain cats and dogs, but it rains birds and ducks...😕
 
Did they figure out what happened in these other cities?

I can't find any of the articles I had read but, in other cases it had been lightning strikes or something caused by airports, even chemicals. But, the strange thing about this is it doesn't seem to be any of those. There's not an airport near by, the closest lightning strike at that time was over 50 miles away, and the officials said it didn't appear to be a toxin. They were traumatized some how...and only that species of bird.

It's even weirder that only one species of fish was dying. If it ends up being human related (chemicals, pesticides, etc) maybe it will wake people up to the damage we are causing to ecosystems.