Three interviews. Is it safe to think I’ll get into at least one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be honest, all three schools I interviewed at had higher average gpa than mine.

I heard that it’s safe to think one acceptance every three interviews.. althought I’ve seen people who didn’t get into any with five interviews.

I think my interviews went great but I’m scared what they would think of my grade when they have committee meeting after the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, all three schools I interviewed at had higher average gpa than mine.

I heard that it’s safe to think one acceptance every three interviews.. althought I’ve seen people who didn’t get into any with five interviews.

I think my interviews went great but I’m scared what they would think of my grade when they have committee meeting after the interview.
Nobody really knows how decisions are made. It is common to hear of people who thought an interview went great end up getting rejected, and people who thought an interview went poorly end up getting accepted. There is no "safe" number of interviews. If you interview poorly in general, then it doesn't matter if you had 1 or 20 interviews.

Unfortunately, it is a common myth that once you get an interview from a school, you are on an even playing field with everybody else who interviewed. The schools I interviewed at mentioned that they will look at the interview feedback combined with the rest of your application when voting on who to accept. I really wish this wasn't the case, and do think that it is unfair to make an applicant waste their time and money if they were going to be turned down due to a lower GPA or DAT score.

Its like dating a girl. If I go out with 3 girls, is it likely that I am going to marry 1 of them?

It all depends on a few character traits as well as a few other factors that come into play.

They can call love me and I can love them and there can be potential for marriage for each one

Or I can hate each one of these 3 girls and don't see a future AT ALL!

So, these 3 schools you're interviewing at, they can all accept you, or they can all reject you, or some can accept you and some can reject you, or majority can reject you and 1 accepts you, or majority accepts you and 1 rejects you lol. You get my point.

Be you're very best at each interview and put your best foot forward and what's meant to be will be. No point in looking into averages and likeliness that they accept you or reject you. Just be yourself, and crush that interview like you would a first date with a girl you like, and if both parties involved are interested, then maybe a wedding will come about lol

YOU GOT THIS!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not all interviews are made equal either. If you have 3 pre December interviews I'd still like your chances better than say someone who has only 5 post December interviews.

I really wish this wasn't the case, and do think that it is unfair to make an applicant waste their time and money if they were going to be turned down due to a lower GPA or DAT score.

do you really think that the schools are conspiring to make applicants waste time and money?
the schools have an investment in this too, they do not want to waste their time and money interviewing candidates that are unable to succeed in their school. they offer interviews to people that they think will be good fits for their class. they interview them to confirm or deny that fact. they go back and review all interviewees and select their first group, then adjust it as time goes by.

Nobody really knows. But statistically, depending on how many people each school you went to interview, you probably have a decent chance of getting accepted.

do you really think that the schools are conspiring to make applicants waste time and money?
the schools have an investment in this too, they do not want to waste their time and money interviewing candidates that are unable to succeed in their school. they offer interviews to people that they think will be good fits for their class. they interview them to confirm or deny that fact. they go back and review all interviewees and select their first group, then adjust it as time goes by.
Well I have heard of applicants getting rejected after the interview calling to ask why, and the school cited stats as the reason why they weren't selected. This happens more at schools which interview tons of applicants per seat (e.g., UDM).

Definitely not. Nothing is "safe" to say. I was in a similar position to you my first cycle applying. I interviewed at three schools (1 pre-Dec, 2 post) and got wait-listed at all three with no acceptances in the end, unfortunately. I thought I had a decent chance, but you really never know what can happen. Hold onto hope, but don't let it get to your head that you're definitely a shoe-in with having three interviews. Nothing is ever certain. I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You are only safe if you are in a pipeline program or your interviewer told you you're in

I'm sure all these questions and more are running through all of our heads at some point but all we can do is wait till Dec. 3. It's driving me crazy with the wait and I'm sure it is with a lot of people but hey what can you really do.

Try to occupy yourself with something and keep yourself busy. It doesn't always have to be dental related, like take a baking class! Who knows maybe it'll be meditative, you get to eat AND improve them hand eye coordination skills! FOOD is always gooooood.

Reactions: 2 users
Your interviewer ain't gonna tell you that unless he/she is certain

there are certainly people who have posted how the interviewer told them/emailed them that they're in or assured and they ended up being rejected. There is absolutely no guarantee, no matter whoever told you so

Reactions: 5 users
there are certainly people who have posted how the interviewer told them/emailed them that they're in or assured and they ended up being rejected. There is absolutely no guarantee, no matter whoever told you so
I have also seen someone post this before. It can still happen. Nothing is guaranteed until you have that offer in hand.

Reactions: 1 users