Three-Year O.D. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are probably right. I finished training and did a residency with not that much clinical contact. My brother is an OMD and I have to be honest.. when he came out of training he did have a lot more clinical experience and knowledge of eye diseases than I did. Its just the truth. It doesnt mean he is a better person or smarter, he just had more training. Now over time I have started to even things out more but I recognize that there are some problems with OD schools and standardization. I felt that my experience in school was a lot worse than some of my friends who went to other schools. In practice I feel the OMDs and much more standardized than us. Why is that?
 
You are probably right. I finished training and did a residency with not that much clinical contact. My brother is an OMD and I have to be honest.. when he came out of training he did have a lot more clinical experience and knowledge of eye diseases than I did. Its just the truth. It doesnt mean he is a better person or smarter, he just had more training. Now over time I have started to even things out more but I recognize that there are some problems with OD schools and standardization. I felt that my experience in school was a lot worse than some of my friends who went to other schools. In practice I feel the OMDs and much more standardized than us. Why is that?

What optometry school did you attend?