Thrombocytopenia and Neuraxial Anesthesia?

Started by secoy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

secoy

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys:

New private attending here. Just wanted some input on how other departments manage parturients with thrombocytopenia.

What are the acceptable lower limits for platelets prior to epidural/spinal placement at your hospital?

Do you recheck the platelet count prior to discontinuing the epidural?

Also, is there a system in place where by parturients who develop gestational thrombocytopenia are seen by hematology prior to their deliveries?

Currently, our department has no policy in regards to managing these patients. I personally use a 70,000 platelet minimum as my cut off. Although, I believe recent literature suggests using 50,000 platelets as an acceptable cutoff.
Also I consider the trend of the platelet count, and may be less hesitant to place an epi in a pt whose platelet count is dropping rapidly. We currently have no system in place to determine which patients, if any, need a hematology consult.

I would be interested in hearing how things are done at your hospitals.

Thanks,
Secoy
 
There was a thread here covering some of these issues a few months ago - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=663595


My personal answers to your three bolded questions -

1) I have no rigid limit, but generally 75K, maybe as low as 50K for the right patient.

2) Yes, if placing the epidural in the first place was a borderline decision.

3) Not routinely. Hematology consults would be considered for people with known or suspected disorders. Just benign gestational thrombocytopenia - no.
 
Elective labor epidural -- 100K

Spinal for Csection- I've done as low as 70K. Would go a little lower for the right patient. e.g. difficult airway
I would and have placed an epidural with 75K and a spinal for anything over 50K. I don't know of any really good literature either way, but there are case reports of spinals with platelets as low as the teens w/o complications.