Throwing out App Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EqSci

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing some spring cleaning and trying to get rid of a lot of junk. Any reason I'd need to keep my application materials? Rejection letters, correspondence e-mails, essays?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing some spring cleaning and trying to get rid of a lot of junk. Any reason I'd need to keep my application materials? Rejection letters, correspondence e-mails, essays?

just for the ceremonial bonfire!

Edit:

I'd be wary of getting rid of everything until after class starts...but I can be paranoid like that. Just in case you got a class cleared or something, and they try to give you grief about it...

I plan to keep my application for a couple of reasons.

1) I worked my ass off to make it a good one and I want to remember it always!!!! :)

2) Some day I can share my essays and experiences with a student, just like one of my mentors did with me! :)

But I am throwing away everything else except for the application itself. Who needs that crap????

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. I HATE getting rid of stuff, because you never know when you might need it... but I love when everything is clean and organized! Makes it difficult. lol

Last edited:
Ahh triple post...

Last edited:
I saved a lot my application materials to use when I apply for scholarships. Many scholarship applications require essays / personal statements and CV's.

im going to make copies of everything to keep in this study room at my school so that pre-vetters can see everything that i did and learn from it....and know how much everything costs!

I sorted through a lot of my materials. I picked out what I need or would think I'd need in the future. So I took everything and made 2 piles: one to recycle and one to keep. I also sorted through the things on my computer (i.e. the billion essay drafts I had were deleted, and I kept my final essay).

I am going to give my application materials to my pre-vet club to help the future applicants! :)

All of the essays that you wrote, definitely keep. Also the list of activities, awards, etc. As someone else said, I've DEFINITELY borrowed from those to fill out scholarship apps this year. Very helpful!