1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Thru Hiking

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Quixotic, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Quixotic

Quixotic Member
    7+ Year Member

How much time off could one typically expect once in practice? Is it realistic to expect 8 weeks off a year to travel the world?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can sign whatever deal you want. I would imagine finding a gig that gives you 8 weeks off is touch 4-6 seems like it is more standard. All that being said though I have heard people with insane work schedules then a ton of time off. Whatever works for you.

4. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some groups work 12 hour shifts, 7 days on, 7 days off. A friend of mine works the following schedule:

7a-7p x 7 days, 7 days off, 7a-7p x 7 days, 7 days off
    7p-7a x 7 days, 7 days off, 7p-7a x 7 days, 7 days off

He gets 2 weeks of vacation (3 weeks starting next year), which means when he takes a week off, he gets 3 weeks off at a time.

5. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just remember that 7 12 hour shifts in a row in a place with any significant volume will kick your keister. Don't expect to do anything else that week except sleep, and you may be a little groggy for a day or two later.

Yes, you can get a lot of time off in EM, especially if you go somewhere where they need docs so much they're willing to negotiate. Usually if you're near a metro they have plenty of docs so the groups/chairpeople are less flexible.

6. Quixotic

Quixotic Member
    7+ Year Member

The 7x7 shift sounds great! Of course I may get burned out on it after a while. I am doing my IM rotation right now and working 18 hour days doesn't seem like a big deal to me because as long as I am busy, I enjoy working. Of course the patient load in the IM compared to the ER is a bit different. I guess I'll find out more after I do my ER rotation.