1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Thru Hiking

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Quixotic, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Quixotic

Quixotic Member
    7+ Year Member

How much time off could one typically expect once in practice? Is it realistic to expect 8 weeks off a year to travel the world?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can sign whatever deal you want. I would imagine finding a gig that gives you 8 weeks off is touch 4-6 seems like it is more standard. All that being said though I have heard people with insane work schedules then a ton of time off. Whatever works for you.

4. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some groups work 12 hour shifts, 7 days on, 7 days off. A friend of mine works the following schedule:

7a-7p x 7 days, 7 days off, 7a-7p x 7 days, 7 days off
    7p-7a x 7 days, 7 days off, 7p-7a x 7 days, 7 days off

He gets 2 weeks of vacation (3 weeks starting next year), which means when he takes a week off, he gets 3 weeks off at a time.

5. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just remember that 7 12 hour shifts in a row in a place with any significant volume will kick your keister. Don't expect to do anything else that week except sleep, and you may be a little groggy for a day or two later.

Yes, you can get a lot of time off in EM, especially if you go somewhere where they need docs so much they're willing to negotiate. Usually if you're near a metro they have plenty of docs so the groups/chairpeople are less flexible.

6. Quixotic

Quixotic Member
    7+ Year Member

The 7x7 shift sounds great! Of course I may get burned out on it after a while. I am doing my IM rotation right now and working 18 hour days doesn't seem like a big deal to me because as long as I am busy, I enjoy working. Of course the patient load in the IM compared to the ER is a bit different. I guess I'll find out more after I do my ER rotation.