Tier 2 or Tier 3 Med schools...

Started by Eric1881
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Eric1881

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know people are probably tired of hearing self-absorbed users posting new threads but I got to ask this straight up (already posted a thread similar but not quite the same).

Is there any hope I can get into a tier 2 or tier 3 medical school (non-state--because I am a Canadian citizen)?

Applying as a junior from Cornell with a major in biology...

Cum: 3.1
BCMP: 2.9
MCAT: 31
Exp: University of Chicago Academic Medical Program this past summer, community services at low-income public schools in district, volunteer work at hospitals and museums...
Research: A year thus far (not including this summer) under a prestigious faculty member from Cornell's Weill Medical School in biochemistry/cancer
Letters: Strong, not the best you'll ever come across, but not weak
Interviews: (After mock interviews with Deans/faculty): very strong

Any thoughts?
 
I know people are probably tired of hearing self-absorbed users posting new threads but I got to ask this straight up (already posted a thread similar but not quite the same).

Is there any hope I can get into a tier 2 or tier 3 medical school (non-state--because I am a Canadian citizen)?

Applying as a junior from Cornell with a major in biology...

Cum: 3.1
BCMP: 2.9
MCAT: 31
Exp: University of Chicago Academic Medical Program this past summer, community services at low-income public schools in district, volunteer work at hospitals and museums...
Research: A year thus far (not including this summer) under a prestigious faculty member from Cornell's Weill Medical School in biochemistry/cancer
Letters: Strong, not the best you'll ever come across, but not weak
Interviews: (After mock interviews with Deans/faculty): very strong

Any thoughts?


nope you are going to have to try tier 47 or lower!
 
nope you are going to have to try tier 47 or lower!
A little harsh, but there is some truth to it...If you're considering DO it's still not too late to apply to Tier 1 schools like PCOM, NYCOM or CCOM...if MD is in your sights and you don't mind waiting till next cycle, it looks like boosting that GPA with more sciences pre-graduation or completing a post-bacc will land you a spot if you apply broadly enough...GL:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Praytell what is tier 2? or tier 3 for that matter? I thought they all awarded MDs after four years 🙂
 
the biggest fear of a medical school is that they let you in, and you aren't able to handle the science course work. Despite the circumstances that caused you to have a low BCPM GPA, schools are going to be hesitant in accepting you because at "face value" it may appear that you can't handle science coursework. Rather than applying broadly (40 schools) in order to increase the possibility of you getting an interview, I advise that you do a postbac program that shows that you can do science course work. With a strong post-bac GPA, and your already strong MCAT score, research ECs, etc., you should be in a much better position when you apply. Getting a good post-bac GPA would give YOU choices when you apply, rather than you hoping and praying for ANY medical school to be merciful. I know how much it sucks to wait, but waiting a little longer may be what's best for you.
 
I think most people who get into DO schools with numbers like that are non-trad. It is really hard to say how they'd look at this case. I'd say apply very broadly to the DO schools and see what happens.
 
Praytell what is tier 2? or tier 3 for that matter? I thought they all awarded MDs after four years 🙂


Yeah there's no such thing, at least not like there is with law school, where schools actually do receive "tiered" rankings.
 
I know people are probably tired of hearing self-absorbed users posting new threads but I got to ask this straight up (already posted a thread similar but not quite the same).

Is there any hope I can get into a tier 2 or tier 3 medical school (non-state--because I am a Canadian citizen)?

Applying as a junior from Cornell with a major in biology...

Cum: 3.1
BCMP: 2.9
MCAT: 31
Exp: University of Chicago Academic Medical Program this past summer, community services at low-income public schools in district, volunteer work at hospitals and museums...
Research: A year thus far (not including this summer) under a prestigious faculty member from Cornell's Weill Medical School in biochemistry/cancer
Letters: Strong, not the best you'll ever come across, but not weak
Interviews: (After mock interviews with Deans/faculty): very strong

Any thoughts?

You have very little chance with the GPA below 3.0 of gaining admittance to any medical school in the US. Some have recommended DO schools but this number is well below their averages as well. As already said, your best option is to pursue a postbac program. Try to do it before that MCAT expires and then you have a shot.

Praytell what is tier 2? or tier 3 for that matter? I thought they all awarded MDs after four years 🙂
What do they call a graduate from the lowest ranked school? Doctor.
 
I know people are probably tired of hearing self-absorbed users posting new threads but I got to ask this straight up (already posted a thread similar but not quite the same).

Is there any hope I can get into a tier 2 or tier 3 medical school (non-state--because I am a Canadian citizen)?

Applying as a junior from Cornell with a major in biology...

Cum: 3.1
BCMP: 2.9
MCAT: 31
Exp: University of Chicago Academic Medical Program this past summer, community services at low-income public schools in district, volunteer work at hospitals and museums...
Research: A year thus far (not including this summer) under a prestigious faculty member from Cornell's Weill Medical School in biochemistry/cancer
Letters: Strong, not the best you'll ever come across, but not weak
Interviews: (After mock interviews with Deans/faculty): very strong

Any thoughts?

International applicants require significantly higher GPA and MCAT than the average matriculant, and with your stats I think you have very little chance. Options: 1. Do post-bacc or graduate school to raise GPA, 2. Apply to Caribbean or Osteopathic schools.

tier 2 or tier 3 medical school
Even the "lowest tier" schools have students that match into neurosurgery and derm.
 
Praytell what is tier 2? or tier 3 for that matter? I thought they all awarded MDs after four years 🙂

Yup, it's all equal untill some pesky prospective employer asks where you went to school.

After all, what's the difference between a BA from Harvard and a BA from Jeb Bush U. South Texas?
 
International applicants require significantly higher GPA and MCAT than the average matriculant.

I don't think that's true. He graduated from a U.S college (and a respected one, at that). I may be wrong, but I think what matters is that you went to school in the U.S.
 
I know people are probably tired of hearing self-absorbed users posting new threads but I got to ask this straight up (already posted a thread similar but not quite the same).

Is there any hope I can get into a tier 2 or tier 3 medical school (non-state--because I am a Canadian citizen)?

Applying as a junior from Cornell with a major in biology...

Cum: 3.1
BCMP: 2.9
MCAT: 31
Exp: University of Chicago Academic Medical Program this past summer, community services at low-income public schools in district, volunteer work at hospitals and museums...
Research: A year thus far (not including this summer) under a prestigious faculty member from Cornell's Weill Medical School in biochemistry/cancer
Letters: Strong, not the best you'll ever come across, but not weak
Interviews: (After mock interviews with Deans/faculty): very strong

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately with your stats and your Canadian residency it will be impossible for you to gain acceptance to a US medical school. What is your canadian province of residency? If you don't have residency in ontario, and you manage to raise your GPA to a 3.4ish you stand a shot in your provincial canadian school.

P.S. I'm from McGill!
 
I know people are probably tired of hearing self-absorbed users posting new threads but I got to ask this straight up (already posted a thread similar but not quite the same).

Is there any hope I can get into a tier 2 or tier 3 medical school (non-state--because I am a Canadian citizen)?

Applying as a junior from Cornell with a major in biology...

Cum: 3.1
BCMP: 2.9
MCAT: 31
Exp: University of Chicago Academic Medical Program this past summer, community services at low-income public schools in district, volunteer work at hospitals and museums...
Research: A year thus far (not including this summer) under a prestigious faculty member from Cornell's Weill Medical School in biochemistry/cancer
Letters: Strong, not the best you'll ever come across, but not weak
Interviews: (After mock interviews with Deans/faculty): very strong

Any thoughts?


As others have mentioned, med schools, unike undergrad, are not divided into tiers by any reputable services, and it will serve you well to lose that concept. There are USNews rankings, but that is a number, not a tier system, and has some fairly questionable methodology so I would rely on that only very loosely, not as gospel. With a 3.1 and no state school, your question should be whether you have the stats to get into an allo school at all (not a tier issue). 50% of all applicants won't get into med school, and the average for allo schools is over a 3.5. You need to address your shortcomings before you apply -- get all your ducks in a row before applying, not wing it and hope for a lower ranked school. Your smartest course would be to hold off applying for a year and take more science courses, either by continuing undergrad or by graduating and doing an informal postbac at an open enrollment school -- raise that BCPM above a 3.0 and up your GPA a 0.1 or two. This is not a race, you need to apply with your best foot forward. And you only want to apply to med school once.
 
Know a girl from Vanderbilt with a 2.8/33, that is in Univ. of Hawaii MS class of 2012.. there's always hope. If you want it, you'll get it.

She probably was in-state, and had some "hook" that another applicant wouldn't. Anecdotal evidence is not useful in this process -- there will always be exceptions to the rule, but 99.99% of all applicants have to be the rule.

As for your last two sentences -- 50% of applicants won't get in -- I suspect they all wanted it. This isn't about hope, it's about fixing any flaws in your application. The OP ought to take more science courses to bring up his GPA if he wants a realistic shot at med school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Know a girl from Vanderbilt with a 2.8/33, that is in Univ. of Hawaii MS class of 2012.. there's always hope. If you want it, you'll get it.

I agree with L2D. For Hawaii, they won't even look at your app unless you have either HI residence or serious connections to the state.
 
you will not get in. even if you had a 35-40 MCAT it would be tough. with a 31, no way.

just my opinion after weeks of studying the stats and where people are getting in, etc.
 
Yup, it's all equal untill some pesky prospective employer asks where you went to school.

After all, what's the difference between a BA from Harvard and a BA from Jeb Bush U. South Texas?

Hey man, you better s***can that talk, I went to Jeb Bush Univ. @ ST !!! :laugh:
 
I believe all he's saying is "not the most competitive tier."

Nah- By breaking it into multiple tiers, he is assuming a structure that doesn't exist. But honestly, with a sub 3.0 BCPM and a 3.1 the attitude needs to be to try and fix the credentials to get into ANY med school, not worry about some hierarchy. Because many people in his situation won't.
 
I got into a good DO school with a 2.7 GPA, but most of that was from the 2.2 I got the first time I went to college.

I'm 30 now, with 3.4+ in 80+ hours of post-bac work, most of which is pretty difficult science coursework, and I got a 33 on the MCAT. And even then, the DO schools haven't exactly been beating down my door. I think if I wasn't non-trad, and I had just gone straight through college with a sub-3.0 GPA, I'd be hearing crickets.

I also got a few MD interviews, but no acceptances. I am perfectly happy with DO though.

The good news for the OP is that he's not THAT far off. He really looks like the ideal candidate for a structured post-bac/SMP program. I know Drexel has a good one. So do PCOM and TCOM. Tulane, I think, too? They are all over the place. Good performance in one of those will boost the GPA up over 3.0, and someone will look at you. The MCAT is solid.

Also, I think people who go through PCOM's post-bac program are automatically granted an interview at PCOM. You could do a lot worse, that's for sure.
 
The good news for the OP is that he's not THAT far off. He really looks like the ideal candidate for a structured post-bac/SMP program. I know Drexel has a good one. So do PCOM and TCOM. Tulane, I think, too? They are all over the place. Good performance in one of those will boost the GPA up over 3.0, and someone will look at you.

You are mixing concepts -- SMP and postbac are actually two different routes. A postbac (taking additional undergrad courses, either informally, or in a specified program) can boost the GPA up. (On AMCAS the ugGPA + ugPostbac is the column schools reportedly use as your "undergrad" GPA). An SMP is a graduate program (special MASTERS program) and thus will not affect your undergrad level GPA -- graduate GPA is in its own separate column and schools don't really reportedly use the combined ug +grad numbers.. But it will show recent success in the sciences at a med school caliber level, which can help a borderline applicant. I think Georgetown has one of the better known SMP programs. There is a postbac board where you can find out more details about these programs.
 
I think Georgetown has one of the better known SMP programs. There is a postbac board where you can find out more details about these programs.



According to students at one school at which I interviewed, several of their fellow M1's did the Georgetown SMP and are the ones honoring many of the classes first year. They seemed a tad resentful, but that's surely a nice feeling for those SMPers I'm sure.

Just my two cents. If you think you'll be able to hack it at an SMP, go for it. Like L2D said, it will show schools that you're capable of doing work at that level, and it apparently might give you a leg up on your first year medical school classes.
 
Now the problem is... assuming you get into a SMP program. The pressure is on.

You'll be competing with medical students and other SMP students to get high pass or honors in medical level coursework. Given your past academic performance, you'll have to take your performance up more than a few notches on top of the fact that the coursework will be getting substantially more intense. If you think you can handle this, then it may be the best way for you to demonstrate to admissions committees that you can handle the demands of medical school, however, if you fail... you're essentially done. You might want to explore a few options before opting for the end-game.
 
And you take pride in that?

Congrats?

Thanks for the congrats. I am just bursting with pride.
Relax my friend, a figure of speech.

Are all medical schools equal? No. Some have a lot of "big name" faculty, some have more research money, some have shiny new lab benches, and some have better hospitals and larger networks. On the other hand, accredation standards are so narrow that for any US accredited school, you can't really find a bad school here (unlike undergrad or other proffesional programs like law) or it would loose accredation. It is more a factor of what has more opportunities you are looking for and where you fit in best. If you like academic medicine, than Harvard or JHU or WashU would be a good fit (But not necessarily). If you want to be an internist in Love County Texas, it really doesn't matter where you go.

The caliber of each school does vary, but the "tier" distinction is arbitrary and vague.

And we all know that Stewart University SOM is the #1 school.
 
I understand that someone with his stats will almost always been in for heartbreak if they apply now, but the point of my post was to counter those who make comments like "you wont get in.. no way, no how". I feel as though SDN is riddled with these people who seem to think they know all the answers and their word is that of God's. Do I think the canuck will get in? no, but I'm not arrogant enough to say I know they wont... stranger things have happened

You do people more favors with tough love than with cheerleading. If everyone on SDN who was told to "go for it -- stranger things have happened" did so, rather than rehabilitating their application, the acceptance rate would be even more dismal than it is now. Nobody should ever "wing it". You fix things, line those ducks in a row and THEN take your shot. It doesn't matter that some one armed blind girl in Hawaii was able to hit a moving duckling at 80 paces with a revolver. You don't strive to be the outlier exception, and should never try to be the "stranger things have happened" guy.
 
You do people more favors with tough love than with cheerleading. If everyone on SDN who was told to "go for it -- stranger things have happened" did so, rather than rehabilitating their application, the acceptance rate would be even more dismal than it is now. Nobody should ever "wing it". You fix things, line those ducks in a row and THEN take your shot. It doesn't matter that some one armed blind girl in Hawaii was able to hit a moving duckling at 80 paces with a revolver. You don't strive to be the outlier exception, and should never try to be the "stranger things have happened" guy.


x
 
I agree with some of what you said. You are right, she is in-state, but honestly no other "hook" you speak of.

I also hear where you're coming from about the whole "hope" thing, but think you may have missed my point (or I didn't explain it well enough). All I was saying is that if you want it enough, you will get there. I understand that someone with his stats will almost always been in for heartbreak if they apply now, but the point of my post was to counter those who make comments like "you wont get in.. no way, no how". I feel as though SDN is riddled with these people who seem to think they know all the answers and their word is that of God's. Do I think the canuck will get in? no, but I'm not arrogant enough to say I know they wont... stranger things have happened

did you know that "canuck" (sp?) is a highly derogatory term?
 
Praytell what is tier 2? or tier 3 for that matter? I thought they all awarded MDs after four years 🙂

It's just a way for the typical elitist pre-med to brag about their so-called "top-tier" school. When you have an MD, no one gives a @#$! about where it came from.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You do people more favors with tough love than with cheerleading. If everyone on SDN who was told to "go for it -- stranger things have happened" did so, rather than rehabilitating their application, the acceptance rate would be even more dismal than it is now. Nobody should ever "wing it". You fix things, line those ducks in a row and THEN take your shot. It doesn't matter that some one armed blind girl in Hawaii was able to hit a moving duckling at 80 paces with a revolver. You don't strive to be the outlier exception, and should never try to be the "stranger things have happened" guy.


You are wise beyond your years. Or perhaps you are just wise. Career goal for you, be a Dean of Admissions at a medical school. You would be wonderful. I am assuming you are in your mid thirties, given your experience as a lawyer, but you have a talent for advising folks. Might want to consider that as a career. You would do alot of good.
 
I know people are probably tired of hearing self-absorbed users posting new threads but I got to ask this straight up (already posted a thread similar but not quite the same).

Is there any hope I can get into a tier 2 or tier 3 medical school (non-state--because I am a Canadian citizen)?

Applying as a junior from Cornell with a major in biology...

Cum: 3.1
BCMP: 2.9
MCAT: 31
Exp: University of Chicago Academic Medical Program this past summer, community services at low-income public schools in district, volunteer work at hospitals and museums...
Research: A year thus far (not including this summer) under a prestigious faculty member from Cornell's Weill Medical School in biochemistry/cancer
Letters: Strong, not the best you'll ever come across, but not weak
Interviews: (After mock interviews with Deans/faculty): very strong

Any thoughts?

Looking at Cornell data for the last few years, since 2000, only 10 out of 24 Cornellians w/ 3.0-3.2 GPA and 30-34 MCAT have made it into med school, any med school.
 
Looking at Cornell data for the last few years, since 2000, only 10 out of 24 Cornellians w/ 3.0-3.2 GPA and 30-34 MCAT have made it into med school, any med school.

And it is likely that they did it after years of post-college experience or was accepted to DO programs.
 
And it is likely that they did it after years of post-college experience or was accepted to DO programs.

Actually, the data specifically said first-time, senior applicants applying to allopathic programs lol

But, I understand what you mean. It is likely that those applicants were from states with friendly state schools (which the OP does not have the luxury of) or had some sort of other notable quality.
 
If you don't explain why the low gpa in your application, they wont even look at most of your file....
 
Ok this has been very helpful. I guess I am royally screwed (or have royally screwed myself over). Junior and Senior year i am just taking all science course (5 a semester) and getting As in them. That will act as my post-bacc (because I ain't doing one after) gpa boost.

I am definitely going to apply my senior year now that I've talked with you guys, junior year would be a mistake. I just don't want to take that damn year off and sit around doing nothing!

Also, for any canadians, how is it getting into canadian medical schools from reputable US schools? Would I stand a chance?
 
did you know that "canuck" (sp?) is a highly derogatory term?

So since there are a whole host of Canadian teams and other institutions with 'canuck' in the name can we assume that like other derogatory terms it is okay for Canadians to say it? 🙄
 
Yup, it's all equal untill some pesky prospective employer asks where you went to school.

After all, what's the difference between a BA from Harvard and a BA from Jeb Bush U. South Texas?
This isn't law school, and we're not applying to law firms.
 
A little harsh, but there is some truth to it...If you're considering DO it's still not too late to apply to Tier 1 schools like PCOM, NYCOM or CCOM...if MD is in your sights and you don't mind waiting till next cycle, it looks like boosting that GPA with more sciences pre-graduation or completing a post-bacc will land you a spot if you apply broadly enough...GL:luck:

agreed
i think he's a shoo-in for a DO school
maybe another year of good grades can get his foot in some MD schools
 
Junior and Senior year i am just taking all science course (5 a semester) and getting As in them. That will act as my post-bacc (because I ain't doing one after) gpa boost.

:scared: Good luck.

Personally I would just take the extra year (or two), you can work at a hospital or do research or anything, you can think of it as time for rounding out your ECs and not wasted time. Slow and easy, easier to do it right the first time than to have to go back and try to salvage your GPA later.

Plus it sounds like you are a sophomore? If your BCPM is a 2.9 at this point, do you think a 4.0 in your major classes (up to 5 classes at a time) is going to be doable?
 
You do people more favors with tough love than with cheerleading. If everyone on SDN who was told to "go for it -- stranger things have happened" did so, rather than rehabilitating their application, the acceptance rate would be even more dismal than it is now.

If more people applied then the overall acceptance rate would go down? Groundbreaking revelation!
 
I actually would like to hear MDRus' explanation on this.. how he thinks it's derogatory..

all i know is that Muskie lost the Democratic nomination in 1972 because of a letter in which he allegedly used the term canuck. It was actually a "dirty trick" by the Nixon bad boys in the Watergate era, who wrote the letter to make it look like Muskie wrote it.

off to google. Here:

Canuck
1835, cross between Canada and Chinook, the native people in the Columbia River region. In U.S., often derogatory.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
all i know is that Muskie lost the Democratic nomination in 1972 because of a letter in which he allegedly used the term canuck. It was actually a "dirty trick" by the Nixon bad boys in the Watergate era, who wrote the letter to make it look like Muskie wrote it.

off to google. Here:

Canuck
1835, cross between Canada and Chinook, the native people in the Columbia River region. In U.S., often derogatory.

that's fine - but i dont think we're on the same level as the "n" word here... in fact, canada is often used as a "derogatory" word in america.

anyway, good history lesson.. thanks
 
Ok this has been very helpful. I guess I am royally screwed (or have royally screwed myself over). Junior and Senior year i am just taking all science course (5 a semester) and getting As in them. That will act as my post-bacc (because I ain't doing one after) gpa boost.

I am definitely going to apply my senior year now that I've talked with you guys, junior year would be a mistake. I just don't want to take that damn year off and sit around doing nothing!

Also, for any canadians, how is it getting into canadian medical schools from reputable US schools? Would I stand a chance?

Your GPA will leave you dead in the water for consideration at any Canadian medical school. At this point, I would say you have more or less zero chance back home.

I don't know about the US...but if you're a Canadian, then there's only a few "canadian friendly" schools, and they're generally more competitive than 3.0 GPA.
 
Also, for any canadians, how is it getting into canadian medical schools from reputable US schools? Would I stand a chance?


I can only speak for Ontario, as I didn't apply OOP, but you're looking at a 3.7 minimum to get into any of the Ontario schools. Where you come from is trivial (since we don't really have the tier system present in the south).

I can break down the Ontario schools for you:

Western -- You need two full years above 3.7 (though if you have one year above 3.7, you can get a conditional acceptance based on getting a second year above the cutoff during the year you applied). MCAT - has been a balanced 30 (10/10/10 minimum), I can't remember the WS score.

Queen's -- GPA for last two years = 3.78 or a cumulative GPA of 3.68 (as per last year). MCAT is set to a balanced 30-32 (10 minimums), depending on the applicant pool.

McMaster -- No idea. No MCAT needed. High GPA. Weird things they look for.

Ottawa -- 3.85 minimum cumulative for anyone Ontario residents outside of certain areas (rural areas near Ottawa + native reserves). Lord knows how high it is for out of province applicants. Has a weighting scheme that will help marginally, but...

U of Toronto -- Cumulative GPA of 3.89 last admission process, but that's after a generous weighting scheme that'll generally bump you about 0.1-0.2 up. So, about the same GPA as Queens and Western. MCAT needs to be a minimum of 30, with nothing below a 9, but they're more forgiving. They don't have hard cutoffs.


NOSM -- Forget it unless you've lived in a rural town your entire life and want to work there.

Hope this helps. If you can get two solid years under your belt (3.7+ for Western, 3.8+ for Queen's), you can have a fighting chance. As you stand, you have none.

Also, as a Canadian, let me tell you that I don't know anybody who would get offended over being called a Canuck. Silly Yankees! 😛
 
I can only speak for Ontario, as I didn't apply OOP, but you're looking at a 3.7 minimum to get into any of the Ontario schools. Where you come from is trivial (since we don't really have the tier system present in the south).

I can break down the Ontario schools for you:

Western -- You need two full years above 3.7 (though if you have one year above 3.7, you can get a conditional acceptance based on getting a second year above the cutoff during the year you applied). MCAT - has been a balanced 30 (10/10/10 minimum), I can't remember the WS score.

Queen's -- GPA for last two years = 3.78 or a cumulative GPA of 3.68 (as per last year). MCAT is set to a balanced 30-32 (10 minimums), depending on the applicant pool.

McMaster -- No idea. No MCAT needed. High GPA. Weird things they look for.

Ottawa -- 3.85 minimum cumulative for anyone Ontario residents outside of certain areas (rural areas near Ottawa + native reserves). Lord knows how high it is for out of province applicants. Has a weighting scheme that will help marginally, but...

U of Toronto -- Cumulative GPA of 3.89 last admission process, but that's after a generous weighting scheme that'll generally bump you about 0.1-0.2 up. So, about the same GPA as Queens and Western. MCAT needs to be a minimum of 30, with nothing below a 9, but they're more forgiving. They don't have hard cutoffs.


NOSM -- Forget it unless you've lived in a rural town your entire life and want to work there.

Hope this helps. If you can get two solid years under your belt (3.7+ for Western, 3.8+ for Queen's), you can have a fighting chance. As you stand, you have none.

Also, as a Canadian, let me tell you that I don't know anybody who would get offended over being called a Canuck. Silly Yankees! 😛

Good information for US kids. To add:
A good general rule of thumb for US students is that getting into Canadian medical schools is FRICKIN hard. Seriously...it's way harder than getting into US schools if you are a canadian student. However, if you have residency in a province then its considerably easier than getting into US schools.
If you are a US student, it's pretty fair to say in general (not everywhere) that you shouldn't bother applying if you have anything less than a 3.75 Cummulative GPA and a 35 MCAT. Most schools in canada that accept inernational students only have 5-10 spots for them total. In addition, usually the schools that consider international students are highly ranked schools so their entrance stats are high to begin with. 🙁