Tiers in EM Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A residency is a lot like everything else in life...you'll get out of it what you put in. You could go to a theoretical top residency and come out a worse physician than someone that went to a theoretical terrible residency and, of course, vice versa.

But the hypothetical question that is begging to be asked is: If we created the theoretical top two resident twins (quantum entanglement maybe), and then put one at In N out (Tier 1) and the other at White Castle (Tier 3) and they put forth the exact same effort, would the In N Out resident be a better physician?

Run ons FTW.

Members don't see this ad.

would the In N Out resident be a better physician?

Of course. Nobody has ever argued that this isn't true. However, ~50% of us are below average.
Go where you think you'll be most likely to survive/thrive. If you're motivated to learn on your own, you'll continue learning after residency. If you're not, you won't.

I'm a very average student at a top 20 school. My clinical grades are all High Passes (and even this is saying more than it is because my school has grade inflation). How hard will it be for me to get into EM residency? I'm not going for the most competitive program or anything - just want to get in somewhere in the northeast or west coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a very average student at a top 20 school. My clinical grades are all High Passes (and even this is saying more than it is because my school has grade inflation). How hard will it be for me to get into EM residency? I'm not going for the most competitive program or anything - just want to get in somewhere in the northeast or west coast.

Not hard in northeast. Harder on west coast (but totally doable).

Thanks! What programs should I consider on the west coast? And which ones would be out of my reach?

I'm currently ranking Shake Shack as #1, way above the #2, which is In-N-Out.

Although, I suppose the usual advice on here is to go where you will be happiest. If you get the warm and dizzied from Shake Shack, go for it.

In-N-Out Burger traditionally is viewed as a stronger program on SDN.

Although, I suppose the usual advice on here is to go where you will be happiest. If you get the warm and dizzied from Shake Shack, go for it.

In-N-Out Burger traditionally is viewed as a stronger program on SDN.

A friend has a strong interest in the international field. Do either of the above offer a taco truck rotation?

Reactions: 3 users