Tiger Woods blaming prescription meds for DUI?

Started by kboy23799
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kboy23799

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my opinion, one of the greatest golfers of all time. A person I certainly looked up to and revered in the pinnacle of his career. With all the negative press (infidelity, numerous injuries, missed cuts, etc.) he's been going through and now this new DUI compounding on top of what already he has on his plate, his fall from grace has been certainly disappointing.

As a pharmacist, I find his quote, "What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn't realize the mix of medications had affected me so strongly...", disturbing. I ask myself, was counseling given by the pharmacist that dispensed these medications to him? Should the pharmacist have done more to make him aware of what could happen if he got behind the wheel? When I was in retail, I made sure I told my patients about the dangers of getting behind the wheel when on medications that could cause risk. Even if he didn't pick the meds up for himself and sent a representative, I would have still printed and highlighted the main side effects. I did this religiously in my retail practice.

Here is the link if you don't know what is going on with Tiger Woods; Tiger says alcohol 'not involved' in DUI arrest

What do you guys think?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ridiculous, when a celebrity blames something on a drug, the public will start to believe in the celebrity's ridiculous claims rather than what existing scientific evidence will support. Reminds me of that astronaut (Glenn) making the claim of "statins" being responsible for Alzheimer's.

What, you don't say? Opiates/pain killers apparently get metabolized to EtOH...discovered by that Woods et al circa 2017...
 
this is what society has come to...it's everyone's fault except for the end user....blame the doctors/pharmacists/drug companies...yadda yadda.

"you know what Sally? How about you get your freaking life together....how about that?"
 
If I'm not mistaken driving under the influence of a prescription drug is still a DUI offense. Tiger is doing nothing more than putting blame on someone else essentially trying to justify his actions. Many "high profile" people don't even get meds filled for them, they have others get them filled in their name by shady docs with the end user being the celebrity unbeknownst to the pharmacist. Evidently this is a huge problem for suboxone/buprenorphine/zubsolv.
 
If you truly ever believed, even for less than a split second that this dude didn't know the effects of "mixing" meds...well...yeah, you got me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SDN mobile
 
I do believe people blame everything on lack of being aware or "plausible deniability". I don't think you can counsel every side effect and the package insert doesn't even address the very rare ones. I know this first hand and I couldn't tell you how dumb I felt after it was all said and done. My husband was prescribed some medications after his surgery and he had one of the rarest reactions to morphine I have ever seen. He had hallucinations, narcolepsy, and other things with a low dose. I had taken him to the ER when I couldn't even wake him up and the ER just scoffed it off that he's a drug addict but I'm arguing there has to be something else. A little digging and research and lo and behold, I find it being a very rare side effect and he was taken off and had no issues. Even with all my training and reading the package insert, not one mention of it in school or anywhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tiger is a fraud. I read all his steamy texts to that porn star he "dated" and on and on about how much he loved Ambien sex.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app