Time between Secondaries and Inteview offers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

oneironaut

For those of you who have received interview offers: How long do you have to wait between submitting the secondary and receiving an offer for an interview? On average of course . . . whats the variance you've seen?
-Thanx, Oneiro-

Members don't see this ad.

I've had two interviews thus far...

At Michigan I sent in my primary (yes primary) July 31st and was offered an interview on August 7th. They did early interviews a little weird over there.

At Wayne State I turned in my secondary on September 5th and was offered an interview on October 19th.

On the other hand, I submitted a secondary to MSU-CHM on 9/12 and have not yet heard back, and I submitted a secondary to MCW on 8/20 and have heard nothing.

Hope this helps!!

I hope it's not rude to bump your own thread- but really. There's a slew of people here who've received interviews.. I'm just wondering how long this period of empty self-doubt and second-guessing is gonna last? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't think it's rude to bump your own thread. Better get used to long periods of waiting interspersed with occasional news of both varieties. At least that's what those who've applied before say. People really do get interviews all the way into March and April and acceptances all the way into July and August. My one and only interview wouldn't help much with the timing issue, as I took the August MCAT.

I don't know how typical my experience was, but I received both of my interview invites around 3-4 weeks after my secondaries were complete.

I know people who interviewed last year who had a much longer lag time between secondaries and interviews. Now is not the time to start getting too nervous. Last year - maybe, this year - I wouldn't worry too much yet. :)

I've got this little chart that sits in front of my computer with all the dates of when I completed and sent stuff out just so I can obsess and drive myself insane over who's sent what and who hasn't. Sick, but I hope it helps you. :)

School-Secondary Sent-Interview Offered

Yale (7/18) Nothing
Tufts (8/01) Zip
Jefferson (7/30) (9/25)
U Penn (8/13) (10/16)
Dartmouth (7/25) (8/31)
UCSD (8/20) (9/10)
Johns Hopkins (8/01) Nada
Harvard (8/21) Zero
UCSF (9/13) (10/4)

hehe, mine's on an excel sheet, and includes what checks have cleared the bank and which haven't. ;)

Thanks oneironaut! Best of luck to you...it's just a matter of time. What type of social work do you do?

Re: Social Work
I work in a skilled nursing facility. It's a pretty cool gig actually. I'm basically a jack-of-all-trades. I arrange discharges with nursing, talk to psychiatrists and mental health workers about patients, intervene between arguments, and look for lost socks. Oh- and deal with crazy familiy members. I really like my job, but as far as challenge, *shrug*. I miss research and lab work, and I miss science. But I get to work on my bed-side manner every day. *sigh* but I'm hoping a 32 MCAT will offset a 3.2 gpa :-

And i thought i was the only anally retentive individual with a excel spread sheet. Working in research has really taken over my personality. Don't know if that is a good or bad thing (but at least i am organized)! :p :p

Re: Spreadsheets

I think anyone who's even remotely organized should keep some kind of sheet going. Personally, I can't keep all my schools straight without it, of course I am from CA and applied to 25 schools.

Regarding the time between secondary application submission and interview invitation, I think it really depends on the school itself and how competitive your stats are. I think most schools first scan for applicants with better stats and invite them for interviews first, and then work their way down to those with lesser stats. So the wait could be from now until the end of the interview period. So sit tight and enjoy the ride!

I have all my info on a PDA. I guess I'm set for UCLA, which requires all students to have a PDA. Not that UCLA has given me any sign of being interested in whether I have a PDA. Oh UCLA.... Why won't you call me? I NEED you!!