Time crunch seeking advice

Started by od101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

od101

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello fellow optometrists,

I am highly interested in Optometry ever since high school. I have graduated a year now from undergrad with a Bio degree/Soc minor. I have not taken my OAT yet, didn't start my application process yet, or even my personal statement. I was honestly going through personal issues which definitely held me back a bit. I took a strenuous OAT course which I feel like helped a great deal. My overall GPA is 3.3, Science 3.1. I was part of some clubs in college, volunteered, and did research on multiple projects. I was also part of my college's honor program. I currently have been working at an optical for three years now with a great deal of experience. Do you recommend to still try to apply for fall 2019 or just not waste my time with that? I don't want to waste money/time as does anyone. I feel like I can obtain some good LOR. I want to make sure my application is really really outstanding and do great on my OAT. I want to give it my all in order to get accepted right away.
 
I think it’s still worth it to apply and with a decent OAT of >300 you’ll have a good shot at getting in.

The months of November/December are not too late to apply, and I’ve seen a good amount of people even get accepted even with apps submitted in January/February. Of course, the sooner you can get everything in the better because they do operate on rolling admissions.
 
I planned on studying for the exam for around three months then applying,do you think I should definitely atleast sign up for the exam and make my decision after that? Is it still worth it at this point?