Time crunch seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

od101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow optometrists,

I am highly interested in Optometry ever since high school. I have graduated a year now from undergrad with a Bio degree/Soc minor. I have not taken my OAT yet, didn't start my application process yet, or even my personal statement. I was honestly going through personal issues which definitely held me back a bit. I took a strenuous OAT course which I feel like helped a great deal. My overall GPA is 3.3, Science 3.1. I was part of some clubs in college, volunteered, and did research on multiple projects. I was also part of my college's honor program. I currently have been working at an optical for three years now with a great deal of experience. Do you recommend to still try to apply for fall 2019 or just not waste my time with that? I don't want to waste money/time as does anyone. I feel like I can obtain some good LOR. I want to make sure my application is really really outstanding and do great on my OAT. I want to give it my all in order to get accepted right away.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s still worth it to apply and with a decent OAT of >300 you’ll have a good shot at getting in.

The months of November/December are not too late to apply, and I’ve seen a good amount of people even get accepted even with apps submitted in January/February. Of course, the sooner you can get everything in the better because they do operate on rolling admissions.

I planned on studying for the exam for around three months then applying,do you think I should definitely atleast sign up for the exam and make my decision after that? Is it still worth it at this point?