Time for a wedding in a PhD program???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Famousams

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be starting my clinical psych PhD at University of Central Florida this fall. I am currently engaged and my fiance will also be starting his PhD (chemistry yick) there. I am just wondering for those who are in or have been through a clinical phd program, can i take time to get married? I have already been engaged for a year and dont want to make it 6 if we wait to be done with school. What is the best time to have a wedding? Any one with any advice would be great!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of people getting married while in programs...in fact, students' recent weddings were a frequent topic of conversation while I was at interviews...at each school. :) So it must be happening!

Hi all,

I will be starting my clinical psych PhD at University of Central Florida this fall. I am currently engaged and my fiance will also be starting his PhD (chemistry yick) there. I am just wondering for those who are in or have been through a clinical phd program, can i take time to get married? I have already been engaged for a year and dont want to make it 6 if we wait to be done with school. What is the best time to have a wedding? Any one with any advice would be great!!!

Yep, it can be done. I suspect it depends entirely upon what "wedding" means to you, however, and how much help you possess. Extremely elaborate weddings may still be possible but require assistance from friends & family if you're working on a deadline. We personally didn't care about any of it, so we just up'd & went somewhere on our own to do the deed. Simple & no hassle (except for the travel arrangements)! But, I have talked with a few who planned more traditional weddings during grad/med/law school, so it can definitely be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so psyched (no pun intended) to see this thread! My now-fiance proposed two weeks ago, right after I finalized my school decision. We're planning to have a long engagement because neither of us can really imagine fitting wedding planning in next year. But I'd love to hear more about what others are doing or have done.

LOTS of people get married in grad school (and have babies, etc.). It's that time of life. Most do it either in the summer or over winter break, unless they're more advanced students and are no longer taking classes. It may be best for you to plan your wedding for before your second year, so you're not seeing clients (that will allow you to take a longer honeymoon!).

Good luck with your wedding planning!

I've heard of people getting married while in programs...in fact, students' recent weddings were a frequent topic of conversation while I was at interviews...at each school. :) So it must be happening!

I'm getting married this July (7/7/7) at 7 no less. We've been engaged for over a year now and we're tying the knot in Charleston, South Carolina and moving to Philadelphia to start my program less than 2 weeks later.

I, also, spoke about my significant other and "family planning" while interviewing for positions as a doctoral student. I felt as if one PhD program sort of frowned upon it and kept hammering me with "how are you going to pay for it?" and "you won't be able to find the time to have a family life?". I was really interested in the program, but not in losing my life. I mean, let's face it, I'll have to lose a big portion of my life as it is. The bottom line is that some programs discourage putting too many coals on the fire and some are a little more accepting about marriage and starting a family. After all, as someone mentioned earlier in this post, graduate school age is typically marriage age. I say go for it! Just schedule it for the summer months and you should be fine.

I'm getting married this July (7/7/7) at 7 no less.

I'll be at a wedding on 07/07/07.

Do we know each other?!

:laugh:

My friend just got married. She is finishing up her 3rd year, and she scheduled the wedding around her research and seeing pts. She only took a week off. It can be done, but good luck trying to do the wedding stuff AND your other things. I think she had a pretty simple wedding...so YMMV.

My other friend just got married (she is going on internship this summer). It was also very simple, with the plan of taking a big honeymoon when she and her husband get settled.

If you want some scary marriage stats....check out James Bray's research in the area, spec. the engagement length and likelihood of divorce. :laugh:

-t

Well...it looks like you're also down here in the dirty south T4C, so you never can tell with us "southerners":laugh:, although, I'm not really from the South. One piece of data I would like to see is how many folks got married on 6/6/6. I didn't really think of the religious connotations of 7/7/7 until much later. I imagine people will be marrying their dogs and cats on that day, too.. Best of luck, right. I'm going to check out Bray's research now. I need a good scare. Thanks.

Many people in my program (clinical psych PhD) have gotten married while they were students, including myself. The easiest times seem to be right after first year, since you don't yet have patients, or in the later years, when you're done with coursework. As others have said, the main problem is trying to arrange to take time off for the honeymoon! There are ways around that, though, like going on your honeymoon later in the year--or just giving people a lot of advance notice....