Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Time for accreditation - KKI Center for Child and Family Traumatic Stress

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ProfessionalStudent5, Jan 1, 2018.

1. ProfessionalStudent5

Psychology Student
    Has anyone accepted an internship at a site that wasn't accredited when they started but was accredited by the time they finished? I'm interviewing at Kennedy Krieger Center for Child and Family Traumatic Stress and it is not accredited yet but the website states that they are currently making an application for accreditation. I was curious about anyone's thoughts or experience with this type of scenario. The program is new and looks amazing but I am unsure of how long it normally takes for a program to get accreditation. For example, is it even possible that the program will become accredited by the end of my internship year if I match there. Thanks for all of your help.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    It's a gamble, but the Kennedy Krieger Institute already has a psychology internship and hopefully this bodes well for the new program. I would ask why they are creating a separate site as opposed to adding a track to the existing internship. I would also ask when they submitted their self-study and when their site visit is scheduled. If they're not yet on the site review calendar, I'd be very concerned.

DrNightblood likes this.
  4. ClinicalABA

Psychologist

Psychologist
    I did, but it was quite a while ago. Everything was in place when I accepted (final site review done, with good feedback; well established, solid program).

5. psych.meout

Pre-Psychology
    Maybe I'm too conservative and risk averse, but something like this seems like too much of a gamble to me. The APA-accreditation status of one's internship so drastically changes one's later career prospects that it really seems like something that is not worth risking on a pending accreditation.

6. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
  7. psych.meout

Pre-Psychology
    I read it as the latter based on what OP wrote:

If it was the former, I probably wouldn't have any qualms about the site.

8. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    Yeah, I don't see it on the list at all, looks to be the former. I'd stay away, it will be an unaccredited internship.

DrNightblood and psych.meout like this.
  9. ProfessionalStudent5

Psychology Student
  10. debbicakes353

I’m at KKI right now, and the current internship is all behavioral psych focused which is why they didn’t just add it on. Also, since it is a new site, they need at least one intern cohort to go through everything before they can get their final stamp of accreditation. So essentially it wouldn’t be until you’re almost done with internship that they would be able to know if they’re approved for accreditation, if that makes sense.

11. psych.meout

Pre-Psychology
    But have they submitted their application yet? It sounds like they are still putting it together from the OP.

12. dynamicdog

Psychologist
    I did this at a site a few years back. It was in it's 3rd or 4th year running and everything in terms of paper work was submitted. I forget if the site visit was already scheduled, if not then there was a sense it would almost definitely happen during my internship year. Btw, if the site visit occurs during internship year, even if accreditation occurs after you have finished, it will still count as APA-accredited for you. As others have said it is a gamble. For me, I took the gamble 1., Because the chances of accreditation were so high 2., It was in my home city/city I planned on staying after graduation and 3., it was a particular kind of site with opportunities that mirrored my professional goals.

13. ProfessionalStudent5

Psychology Student
    Yea. I was told that earliest date on which self-study materials can be submitted is Match Day, depending on whether a full class is committed on that day. If not, self-study materials are submitted as soon as an internship class is committed. Then they expect to submit in the week following Match Day or Secondary Match Day- that is, by the end of March, 2018. They are currently unaware of when the site visit will occur but it will likely in the spring of 2019- if all goes well. They also told me that they were working very closely with the other Kennedy Krieger track clinical directors to make sure they have everything in order.

I really liked the program during the visit but I’m not sure what to do.

14. smalltownpsych

Psychologist

Psychologist
    Rank them behind the APA sites.

FreudianSlipper likes this.
  15. debbicakes353

I’m not sure! I can try to pick my current training directors brain about it. I think they’re working closely together to make sure everything goes smoothly. I believe KKIs behavioral psych track is one of the oldest appic approved sites? So they have a great model to follow.