Time for Match Lists!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wishperk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of making my rank list, and thus far, my top 6 programs are as follows:

MGH
Brigham
U of Chicago
U of Michigan
Stanford
UCSF

They're all great places, but I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the inside scoop on some or all of these programs.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by wishperk
I'm in the midst of making my rank list, and thus far, my top 6 programs are as follows:

MGH
Brigham
U of Chicago
U of Michigan
Stanford
UCSF

They're all great places, but I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the inside scoop on some or all of these programs.

Thanks in advance!

It looks like you are ranking all high caliber schools. Would you mind disclosing some info about what school your from, grades, and board scores? I'm just curious about what numbers you need to get interviews at those places. Did you think that board scores or grades were more important then your letters of recs? Thanks.

"MGH
Brigham
U of Chicago
U of Michigan
Stanford
UCSF"

wishperk, you must be the man.

i would say that ucsf and the brigham should top your list. i interviewed at both for neurology (and w/ the PD of IM at both places). the residents at the brigham were the happiest and brightest IM residents that i've met, and they aren't full of themselves.

as for cities, sf wins hands down.

dos centavos

Members don't see this ad :)
For me it is:

1. Johns Hopkins
2. Brigham
3. MGH
4. UCSF
5. WashU
6. Penn
7. Duke

Best of luck for all!

If you guys wouldn't mind listing your stats and home med school, that would be useful for me to figure out what ballpark I am in when it comes to applying for IM programs. I know that we are supposed to ask our IM PD, but ours is a nephrologist, and I'd like to get opinions from people at other schools too. There's no need for modesty in an anonymous forum. Thanks! And congrats on your guys stellar match lists.

Hey wishperk-

if you end up at U of M I'll see you there...

After interviewing at Brigham, U of C, etc and cancelling UNC, Duke, Emory and Wash U, I decided to return to my alma matter...

For ckent:

If you did well during yrs 2 and 3 and you score fairly well (>230) on step I you will be in really good shape for medicine interviews. Don't, however, be seduced simply by the big names of the traditional academic powerhouses. Choose somewhere where you think your talent will be appreciated and where your contribution will be felt.

UCSF
Brigham
Cornell
Columbia
Stanford
Hopkins

The further in the process I got, the more important location became. Cornell vs. Columbia is still a tough call for me....

Good luck all, it's been helpful reading everyone's posts...

For me, staying in SE Michigan was a vital part of my decision, percluding the opportunity to hit some of the big guns mentioned in earlier posts. You guys have some very impressive lists. My ROL looks like this...

1. Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center
2. U of Mich

Ckent - I agree with SeeDiph, except that you can probably overcome <230's on Step 1 with good clinical evaluations and letters of recommendation. I also agree that you should not be sold on a program soley on the basis of a name, but rather what's best for you and your goals. A good start is to look for aggressive pathology, supportive faculty, and finding a place where you feel you can make a difference.

you should not be sold on a program soley on the basis of a name, but rather what's best for you and your goals. A good start is to look for aggressive pathology, supportive faculty, and finding a place where you feel you can make a difference

So Papa Boz... what are you really saying? Huh? Huh?

Originally posted by SeeDiph
So Papa Boz... what are you really saying? Huh? Huh?
Just what I said, my friend. Not to hijack the thread, but SeeDiph and I have had long-running conversations on DMC vs. U of M, and it looks like we may be tragically parting ways. It's all about finding the best fit, and the DMC provides that for me - not that I didn't have a good experience with the UMich people. I mean, I'll still cheer for them in the NCAA hoops tourney and all...:laugh: