time for research in MS-III?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlianaSedai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After sitting around on my butt for two years, I think I've figured out what area(s) of interest I'd like to get into. I'm hoping to start by looking around for a suitable opportunity/project that is ongoing here.

Step I is around the corner and MS-III begins soon thereafter. Anyone have tips for a research-newbie about good ways to fit research experience into the next couple of years? How much time were you able to commit, and how much real work were you able to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you given a research elective opportunity? We have an option to do a rotation (1 month) in our 3rd or 4th year. I am getting a poster presentation here in a few months at a conference, where I will be one of 3 authors, all because I can do stats. Seriously. One of my attendings figured this out in casual conversation and BOOM I was on the project. So that was my job for it. I think if you just want to get onto a project, you will have enough time if you make time. Meaning, a few nights less sleep, some hours spent extra than your current rotation , etc. (I am not choosing the extra month because I don't really need it at this point.)

If you put your feelers out and start making your wishes known, I bet someone will have something for you to do.

Here are a couple options.

First, use your elective 3rd year to do research instead of doing family medicine or neurology then.

Next, if your school is like mine, your 3rd year is approximately 46 weeks long. Thus, you should have something like 6 weeks in which you can do research which is technically your vacation time. But hey, if you want to do derm at Stanford, you might want to think about taking that time to spend in the lab. I'm actually starting up research this year after I'm done with family med (2 week break) and then during the 2 weeks off between 3rd year and 4th year. Sure, it sucks not really having a vacation, but I too want to go into a competitive field (urology).

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely possible...during my medicine and OB rotations I spent some nights and weekends (whenever I had a few hours free) to continue working on 2 research projects. It's possible...and I'd recommend it, especially if you're considering a more competitive residency.

try doing a retrospective clinical study instead of lab work. much easier to do during off-hours -- and much easier to get published doing it. It can't of course compare to the joys of pipetting and running gels . :)

Originally posted by pikachu
try doing a retrospective clinical study instead of lab work. much easier to do during off-hours -- and much easier to get published doing it. It can't of course compare to the joys of pipetting and running gels . :)

Exactly. Clinical medicine is where it's at. :)