"Time limit" for prelim IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bb10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG and thinking of alternative plans if I don't match this year. I am well aware of the difficulties of matching into ophthalmology. I understand that doing a prelim IM year will not increase my chances of getting into ophthalmology. But what if I proceed with the prelim IM year, and then do research ie research fellowship for 2-3 years, and then apply to ophthalmology. Is there a "time limit" on how long I can use my prelim year let's say if I am fortunate enough to match into ophthalmology after 2-3 years or even more of research? or do I have to redo the prelim year again once I matched into ophthalmology?

Or would others suggest do the research fellowship first before applying again to both ophthalmology and prelim IM. I just wonder whether a prelim year (or at least one year of US clinical experience) is one of the requirements for a research fellowship?

Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Help... anybody? I would really appreciate for any advice.

It's a tough situation, for sure. I can answer the last part of your question: no, clinical experience is not needed for research fellowships (postdoc). At least not required for most. An MD or PhD degree is sufficient to qualify.

As for the IM prelim year, I strongly think it would be preferable to do research first, then apply to prelim and ophtho at the same time. A prelim year won't help your application, and you really want ophtho, right? If you already went on prelim interviews and then you find out you didn't match in ophtho, you can always just not turn in your rank list and try both matches again the following year.

To simplify: I would only accept a prelim spot when I've given up on ophtho. Or after matching in ophtho, of course.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great advice. Yup, definitely want to do ophthalmology. I think I have to start the ball rolling for these research fellowships/postdocs at the rate I am going with interview offers.

Thanks again Alcon.