Time Line?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oilsooner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the repost....posted in the wrong forum.

When are you guys taking the MCAT/applying to med school?

Summer between Junior and Senior year?

Summer after Senior year?

I see so many topics stating that you should study for the MCAT after your pre reqs are done, and not while taking a large class load, so it got me wondering.....

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the repost....posted in the wrong forum.

When are you guys taking the MCAT/applying to med school?

Summer between Junior and Senior year?

Summer after Senior year?

I see so many topics stating that you should study for the MCAT after your pre reqs are done, and not while taking a large class load, so it got me wondering.....

There are a million options but the 'traditional' path is:

Finish pre-reqs by Junior year.
Take MCAT Spring on Junior year
Apply summer of Junior year
Finish Senior year taking upper-levels and electives.
Take the summer off
Start medical school ~3 months after you graduate.

While I'm not a traditional student I think taking the MCAT the summer between jr and sr year and applying after sr year has the largest advantage.

• It give you max opportunity to study for the MCAT and take it while classes are fresh
  • an opportunity to retake the MCAT if necessary
  • a chance to apply early
  • an extra year for ECs, letters etc.
  • a gap year to be away from academics and be in "the real world"
  • a chance to change your mind
  • if you are a younger than normal student it can help with admissions (hint: take a look at acceptance rates for under 20yr olds into schools)

While I'm not a traditional student I think taking the MCAT the summer between jr and sr year and applying after sr year has the largest advantage.

• It give you max opportunity to study for the MCAT and take it while classes are fresh
  • an opportunity to retake the MCAT if necessary
  • a chance to apply early
  • an extra year for ECs, letters etc.
  • a gap year to be away from academics and be in "the real world"
  • a chance to change your mind
  • if you are a younger than normal student it can help with admissions (hint: take a look at acceptance rates for under 20yr olds into schools)

What do you propose doing during this magical year after you graduate?

You most likely have a BS in Biology which means you can't find crap for decent work, especially that will take you knowing you intend to quit in a year. In addition, your student loans if you have them will come due around December without any income to pay them....

So unless you have mommy/daddy to support you this is not a well thought-out plan for most. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you propose doing during this magical year after you graduate?

You most likely have a BS in Biology which means you can't find crap for decent work, especially that will take you knowing you intend to quit in a year. In addition, your student loans if you have them will come due around December without any income to pay them....

So unless you have mommy/daddy to support you this is not a well thought-out plan for most. :rolleyes:

Applying once with the strongest application is the best plan.

Taking time allows people to do that, there's nothing "magical" about it. And finding work with a Bio degree is part of the point, it will give an opportunity for more perspective and motivation out in the world and a last "out" for people on the fence. I believe applying early with your best MCAT and EC experiences without rushing to have your app ready gives you your best chance. The list of reasons given is solid, but it is only my opinion.

There are a million options but the 'traditional' path is:

Finish pre-reqs by Junior year.
Take MCAT Spring on Junior year
Apply summer of Junior year
Finish Senior year taking upper-levels and electives.
Take the summer off
Start medical school ~3 months after you graduate.

Just to clarify -- do you mean finish pre-reqs before Junior year, or during Junior year? I'm planning on taking Physics I & II during Junior year, but it would be a better idea to take it earlier (if possible)? Taking it earlier would be less than ideal for many reasons, but if that is the best way to prepare for the MCAT, what can you do? Haha. Thanks!

(I know, it's pretty early to be thinking about all of this for me as a freshman. But I'm a planner and would prefer to not get any nasty surprises that are beyond adjustment later on! :) )

if you're already a strong applicant, then apply early summer of senior year, take mcat after you are thoroughly prepared.

if you're a weak applicant, take a year or two off and do something you'd enjoy (americorps, teach for america, some experience with people, or go the research route with volunteering, or a medical job) and same thing for the mcat, take it once you're thoroughly prepared.

If I could start from college again, I'd go the traditional route but tragedy strikes who are unfortunate. If you do the time off, you will mature being independent and have experience outside of school.

If you want to take time off before med school, go the traditional route and then defer for a year. And travel.