TIME Mag says not to become a dentist..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That drug is probably going to evolve a strain of s. mutans that turns people into zombies. Good thing I'm prepared for a zombie apocalypse.

I love how all these news organizations are copy pasting their entire news reports. In undergrad If I did anything close to this I would get kicked out of school. Period.

This articles gives nothing new compared to the other articles. They all come from Gizmodo article which was probably copied from the Chilean news-site.

Either that, or the researchers don't have enough money because they wasted it all to find antibiotics to S. mutans. Keep 32 will be probably useless upon introduction of this drug into the mass market and after S. mutans evolves. This is these researchers' 5 days of fame.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Because I'm going to school for four years just to learn how to treat cavities... how ignorant.

Surprisingly, this is the most popular article on TIME.com now

This is absolutely something we should all embrace and really push for.

from what I have been told by a renowned cariologist, out of the strains of S. mutans that are cariogenic, there is one strain that has been completely impervious to all antibacterial agents currently available, and of all the strains, it is supposed to be the absolute worst.

The last thing you want to do is eliminate all the bacterial competition for this resistant strain. Probiotics that outcompete the S. mutans strains seems to be the stuff to research.

I implore you not to rely on the news to research your prospective career fields. Journalists are unqualified as well as biased. We rely on them far too much in the united states, just look at whats going on politically (decisions being made by the uneducated masses because they believe what they see on tv).

Members don't see this ad :)
dont worry get rid of one bacterial strain another will take over or mutate to make the molecule useless and last thing you want is for the bacteria to create an anti keep32 enzyme, like it happened with penicillin when bacteria evolved to create Penicillinase. This is just a scare tactic, this molecule has to enter the digestive track anyway and we all know what damage it will do once it reaches the bacteria in the intestines.

This is absolutely something we should all embrace and really push for.

Dream on baby, dream on. Dreams never come true...:xf::scared:

I have an enzyme ready for you baby. I bet you don't know what my enzyme does.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Almost every ailment, especially caries, in dentistry is preventable. The problem isn't that we don't have the necessary methods to combat caries. Rather it is that people neglect to brush, floss or rinse their teeth twice a day. People in low socioeconomic classes tend to have poor diets including sugary drinks and fatty foods. "Keep 32" is going to be placed in toothpastes and people will still have to brush teeth. Taking care of your teeth regularly in the traditional way by itself is prevention enough against caries. There is no need for any wonder drug and the majority of these claimed S. mutan killers are only marketing ploys to sell to Colgate-Palmolive and make big bucks.
Nothing from that TIMES magazine is new or ground-breaking.

http://www.dentistry.ucla.edu/news/...ia-may-render-tooth-decay-a-thing-of-the-past

Last edited:
Almost every ailment, especially caries, in dentistry is preventable. The problem isn't that we don't have the necessary methods to combat caries. Rather it is that people neglect to brush, floss or rinse their teeth twice a day. People in low socioeconomic classes tend to have poor diets including sugary drinks and fatty foods. "Keep 32" is going to be placed in toothpastes and people will still have to brush teeth. Taking care of your teeth regularly in the traditional way by itself is prevention enough against caries. There is no need for any wonder drug and the majority of these claimed S. mutan killers are only marketing ploys to sell to Colgate-Palmolive and make big bucks.
Nothing from that TIMES magazine is new or ground-breaking.

http://www.dentistry.ucla.edu/news/...ia-may-render-tooth-decay-a-thing-of-the-past

Right on. My microbiology teacher in undergrad had a quote that pretty much sums it up; "If you had to bet, ALWAYS choose the bacteria. They are going to win every time."

from what I have been told by a renowned cariologist, out of the strains of S. mutans that are cariogenic, there is one strain that has been completely impervious to all antibacterial agents currently available, and of all the strains, it is supposed to be the absolute worst.

The last thing you want to do is eliminate all the bacterial competition for this resistant strain. Probiotics that outcompete the S. mutans strains seems to be the stuff to research.

"Shi's Sm STAMP C16G2 investigational drug, tested in the clinical study, acts as a sort of "smart bomb," eliminating only the harmful bacteria and remaining effective for an extended period."

By the way, when is predents going to be back online? :D

"Shi's Sm STAMP C16G2 investigational drug, tested in the clinical study, acts as a sort of "smart bomb," eliminating only the harmful bacteria and remaining effective for an extended period."

By the way, when is predents going to be back online? :D

The other factor too that needs not be forgotten, is who is going to pay for this? In this modern society of ours, where so many people are seemingly expecting that most anything should be given to them for free, does one really expect that someone who has become used to getting "something for nothing" will actually go out and purchase whatever toothpaste P&G decides to incorporate Save32 into and then also actually use it, and keep using it??

If the government decides to make this Rx only, then it would get down to either the insurance companies or the government taking a look at the cost to supply whatever means Save32 is delivered in to its clients vs. what the average expected restorative cost would be for their clients. More than likely, since let's be honest, at somepoint, even the government will have to actually factor real costs into the equation :rolleyes: , if the cost for say a years supply of Save32 is more than the average restorative cost for a client in a certain demographic, then you better believe that they'll be some serious financial debate about is the cost to the insurer(government) worth the added expense, and if not, then what percentage of the population will both want to purchase Save32 on their own and use it as recomended??

That is the HUGE question. Unfortunately there are many people who in the theoretical world of public health and/or academia/research/government seem to fail to grasp the concept that not everyone will do as they're told they should do, so very often the actual results WON'T equal the hypothesized results. It's not that different when as a practicing dentist a sales rep comes in backed with a slew of "benchtop" and/or CONTROLLED study data about how their latest and greatest product that they're trying to sell you is the ultimate answer to all of life's dental problems :rolleyes: All that research is fine and dandy, as long as in YOUR hands you can get the same results in the mouths of your patients that their researchers got on the benchtop and in their controlled trials. :idea:

I have no problem with Time mag telling people not to become a dentist...move along, nothing to see here...just a boring, dying profession.

agreed, just another dying profession. Move along predents, theres nothing to see here.

I have no problem with Time mag telling people not to become a dentist...move along, nothing to see here...just a boring, dying profession.

If you don't like it, then should have done more research before applying, and getting in the dental school.... But please elaborate.

agreed, just another dying profession. Move along predents, theres nothing to see here.

Didn't you recommend dentistry just a few months ago?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11896433&postcount=11

Please elaborate what changed your mind...

Last edited:
It requires 8 years to train a competent dentist, in which diagnostic knowledge and dexterity are emphasized rigorously in procedures. No single miracle drug is going to make any dentist disposable

Don't become a dentist artvan. You should become an engineer.

Repost from old thread. Hope it helps.
--

Look, innovations will incur, everything I've read and everyone I've spoken to says so. From adcom to retiring oral surgeons. Dentistry is not like how it was in the 70s and 80s(shocker of the year, someone call the Higgs-Boson guys, this is the discovery of the century.) We'll all have to change at some point. It's part of life. I can't understand why pre-dents and pre-meds try to look at their profession with rose colored goggles. We all act in self-interest.

I know some of you special little flowers will think I'm being 100% serious, so I'll annotate things for you. The following paragraph is a hyperbole:

Yeah, maybe there will be some magic pill that automatically fixes everything - even orthodontic work. Maybe there will be a pill that induces bone regeneration - no more implants. Maybe we can invent a cavity eliminating once a week pill.

Who knows? Maybe?

hyperbole
Maybe we'll all just genetically engineer humans to not even have flaws and look like Kim Kardashian. The fact is, we're forgetting what we are before "healthcare professionals" - we're scientist too, or at least we should be. Use your dental education and be creative. For being some of the most educated and intelligent people in society, healthcare professionals make quite a cluster fest when little changes happen.

Has the blush gone off dentistry? Are we to be put on the shelf with pharmacy and optometry(which btw is an inaccurate and very uninformed statement)? Well, no, but let's assume it has.

So you lost your practice right? Because everyone is able to afford a 1000 dollar a pop magic pill to protect all your teeth. Your practice will close because people trust a pill and pharma companies over a dentist. All the elderly people just love change anyways. Why visit a dentist? We have pills!

Well, want to eat and have a home? Best to get a job I'd say. Go research dentin properties, salivary gland research, oral oncology, sublingual drug treatment research, oral biology, go study to become something else! Go utilize your hand skills in another form of surgery. Evolve with dentistry. Yeah, it won't be as hands on and there won't be as much patient contact. And worst of all we'll be poor! You will still be employed.

An education really is priceless. I know most people don't understand what I'm getting at here. 300k+ debt yes, I know. You'll never pay it off unless you have your dentist salary, yup you bet. Healthcare professionals are all about money, most of them, yes. Patients? Did you mean customers?

We'll simply have to evolve with the field.

Even in the worse case scenario, I don't think we're in much trouble. Too bad I'm an optimist.

Go become a doctor.

They were both being sarcastic...

Haha- Dentistry is MUCH more about reading people and emotions than anything else. I know everyone always told me that and I never understood it until I've lived it and now I understand. If you couldn't catch the sarcasm in that, and you actually went and searched an old post to quote him on, you seriously need to reconsider. No, that isn't sarcasm.

The utility of dentists is now as vain as that of travels agents.

sarcasm

It requires 8 years to train a competent dentist...

I think you mean 4 years, with a pre-requisite of 4 years of feeding big education that is largely wasted in a professional sense. :cool:

Haha- Dentistry is MUCH more about reading people and emotions than anything else. I know everyone always told me that and I never understood it until I've lived it and now I understand. If you couldn't catch the sarcasm in that, and you actually went and searched an old post to quote him on, you seriously need to reconsider. No, that isn't sarcasm.

To answer you I will quote wikipedia:

Emotions are the various bodily feelings associated with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation and also with hormones such as dopamine, noradrenaline, and serotonin

There is no bodily feelings in plain text. So you can't seriously expect me to know recognize people's emotions based on a text that doesn't even have emoticons. Now if you can't reason with my logic, which is entirely apparent within this text, then you need to reconsider dentistry.

I remember reading that post. I forgot who posted but always thought they were misinformed and reactionary. Take the repost with a grain of salt.

Repost from old thread. Hope it helps.