School says MUST buy 2.5x mag loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoftGel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming D1. The school sent us a notice that says "please do not order higher magnification than 2.5x."

So what's the deal with this? Almost everyone (not everyone) on these forums seems to prefer 3.5x or even higher. I have my conspiracy theory how this is a sales scam, since it will force us to buy additional loupes in the future. But what's the actual reason? Is it better for learning, developing hand skills, seeing the "bigger picture" as a baby dentist? Is it just to standardize teaching so we are all on the same page? I could see it making teaching more difficult if everyone is using a different magnification.

I am annoyed to spend so much money with such limited information. There is also no vendor day at the school due to coronavirus, so we have to meet with vendors ourselves. This means we cannot compare brands side by side.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest doing what you want. I would not be satisfied with 2.5 even as a student during clinical years. I have tried several different brands and a few magnifications through the years; for the money, I recommend 3.5 q-optics. I was impressed with their optical clarity and comfort. You also need a good light. Unless they're offering a package deal I would look into LumaDent. I don't have any ties to these companies but I have had better luck with these products than their competitors. The only major company I do not have experience with, but have heard positive things about, is Zeiss. Barring that I've been most satisfied with q-optics.

Reactions: 2 users
Your preclinical director is out of touch if he/she is mandating 2.5 max magnification. If you have to meet with the vendors yourself, then just pick up a 3.5x. No one will be going around to check if everyone in your class has 2.5x loupes, and it's impossible to tell by looks alone

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What? What’s their logic behind that? I would Just ignore them. It’s up to you how to spend your money. I recommend getting 3.5s or higher.

I currently have 3.5x Prismatics with Q-Optics and love them. Even now I wish I had 4.0x. It takes a little while to get used to at first but by the time you start clinic you will be happy you made the investment.

Reactions: 1 users
My school includes loupes in the tuition fee and only offers us 2.5x. So If you want 3.5x, you would have to buy your own and also be stuck with an extra pair of 2.5x loupes.

Orascoptic gives a student discount. I plan on using this and getting higher magnification before i graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
I love my 3.5x Q-Optics. Met with the salespeople from Designs for Vision, Orascoptic, SurgiTel, and Q-Optics and liked these the best - lightweight, great clarity, amazing after-sale support.

Paired it with a Lumdaent light from a group buy my classmates did, and I'm tremendously pleased with my setup.

Reactions: 3 users
They advise you to start with 2.5x, because it is easier to get used to. I started with 3.0x and they were enough for the whole schooling time. Unless you are forced to, make your own decision. You will have to purchase another pair before graduation anyway

It’s not a steep learning curve, I recommend 3.5X at least.

They advise you to start with 2.5x, because it is easier to get used to. I started with 3.0x and they were enough for the whole schooling time. Unless you are forced to, make your own decision. You will have to purchase another pair before graduation anyway
Why will you have to buy another pair before graduation? To get in on a student discount before you leave?

@NADDUCK

I just wanted to dispel a few other loupe myths.
1.) You don't need to start at less magnification for learning.
2.) Magnification does not make eyes worse or cause them to deteriorate.

As previously stated, 3.5 is great for general dentistry. A good light is mandatory because of the physics of magnification. As soon as you get your loupes you should start using them in simulation clinic. The only time this is not practical is if they have you do preps "bench top" because of the working length of loupes. However, as soon as you start working on a mannequin use your loupes exclusively. This will make you use good ergonomics, due to your limited depth of field, and you will have a smooth transition into clinic where not using loupes is almost malpractice.

More experienced, older, dentists may not agree with using loupes so early; my professors didn't. However, You do not want to start your education behind the times. Their reasoning for not using loupes was based on the above listed myths and their experience of not using them for the majority of their career. By using loupes and a light you'll be faster, more precise, and have better ergonomics.

EDIT: Expanded view is a great option at higher levels of magnifications.

Last edited:
@NADDUCK

I just wanted to dispel a few other loupe myths.
1.) You don't need to start at less magnification for learning.
2.) Magnification does not make eyes worse or cause them to deteriorate.

As previously stated, 3.5 is great for general dentistry. A good light is mandatory because of the physics of magnification. As soon as you get your loupes you should start using them in simulation clinic. The only time this is not practical is if they have you do preps "bench top" because of the working length of loupes. However, as soon as you start working on a mannequin use your loupes exclusively. This will make you use good ergonomics, due to your limited depth of field, and you will have a smooth transition into clinic where not using loupes is almost malpractice.

More experienced, older, dentists may not agree with using loupes so early; my professors didn't. However, You do not want to start your education behind the times. Their reasoning for not using loupes was based on the above listed myths and their experience of not using them for the majority of their career. By using loupes and a light you'll be faster, more precise, and have better ergonomics.
Those same faculty will brag that they also used to practice without gloves, a mask, and with a cigarette in their mouth.

Reactions: 4 users
Those same faculty will brag that they also used to practice without gloves, a mask, and with a cigarette in their mouth.

Back in March, I decided to visit a new dentist for an exam/cleaning. During the hygiene check, he came, gloved up, picked up a mirror, and started looking at my teeth.

He wasn't wearing a mask and was exhaling all over my face. Time to find a new DMD.

I'm thanking my lucky stars since that's right when COVID was picking up. Anyways, those dentists are still out there. We practice excellent infection control in dental schools in comparison.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't flame me for this stupid question since I am an orthodontist meaning I've never needed loupes, but .........

With covid and all. How do you wear both the face mask and loupes? No distortion looking through the facemask?

You can get cheap loupes on amazon for $50, they all do the same thing. Once you get to clinic you can spend the big bucks on a nice pair of loupes with whatever mag you want.

Don't flame me for this stupid question since I am an orthodontist meaning I've never needed loupes, but .........

With covid and all. How do you wear both the face mask and loupes? No distortion looking through the facemask?
Mask, loupes and a shield. Unless you wanna die :)

Like others have said, 2.5x is the easiest to start with. When you go higher magnification, your field of view becomes narrower, so sometimes when you already have the muscle memory it’s easier.

My school made all of us buy Orascoptic 2.5x and it was fine for the preclinical portion. I made the switch to a Surgitel 5.5x in my last year and it made a huge difference in the quality of my work. You can just see so much more. I started with fillings and endo and now I’m using it for oral surgery just fine.

Is there a way to just pay for new lenses with the magnification portion to update my existing 2.5x ones? or do you have buy a whole new pair?

2.5x is fine to start with. Our school only offered 2.5x so that's what we all had throughout school. Most of us upgraded around graduation with student discounts. I still use me 2.5x for exams and extractions. Use 3.5x for most operative, prosth, and endo

I think it is ridiculous to mandate that you start with 2.5x. Maybe if you're in hygiene school. 3.5x is probably the consensus of most reasonable place to start. I went from 3.0 to 5.5x in my third year. Now I literally have my loupes on for every single procedure and I don't regret a thing.

The only way to check how bad your work is using higher magnification loupes.