time management advice/classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dipbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to one-year postbac programs (bryn mawr, goucher, JHU) and was just accepted to Columbia. I've been out of school for 3 years and even back when I was in the swing of school, I was a terrible procrastinator.

Anyone go so far as to take a class on time management skills? Any books you read that finally whipped you into shape? Looking for advice on how to create a good framework so as not to do 10,000 things at once and leave them all to the last minute.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretend school is a full time job and be on campus 40 hr per week. When you're not in class, do your homework. When you've finished your homework preread. You'll find that you'll be able to get quite a bit done if you take this approach.

Google Calendar....I was taking classes M-Th. I initially scheduled all my classes and set up a routine to study, do homework, read, and other non related school things (friends, family, doc appts, etc). After the first week of school when you have received all your syllabi you can pencil in quizzes, exams, and any other due dates for your exam. After the first couple of weeks you'll have an idea of the type of work you need to do during the week to keep up with your classes. One of the most important things I did was at the end of each week I would reflect on how much work I got done, then make a detailed list of everything I had to do for the next 7 days an approximately how long it would take for me to complete. Then I would go into my calendar and fill it in. Color coding my classes/ tasks also helped- I would make my study block blue, assigned hw orange, additional problems yellow, family time purple, etc. If you want any more advice pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this advice!

Pretend school is a full time job and be on campus 40 hr per week. When you're not in class, do your homework. When you've finished your homework preread. You'll find that you'll be able to get quite a bit done if you take this approach.

This. :thumbup:

A 40 minute commute to campus has been a big grade booster for me for that exact reason. Find a favorite study spot in the library, keep a comfy sweater in the car for when you're seated under an air vent, and grab one or two study buddies from your classes to keep you company if you're an extrovert. :)

Google calendar helps, too... if you look at it. :p The most difficult habit for me to form was checking that thing. I got a special app for my droid (business calendar?) that lays everything out on the homescreen. Also, there's an assignment planner app that gives you reminders - also helpful. I never had the patience for color coding.