Time Management and Scheduling Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garyinthehouse

---
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, with all the hoopla around the January exam, I think this is a good time to post this.

I started to study for the mcat back in jan, and since then have taken 2 exams (23 and 27). Not happy with my score, I want a retest in january.
I decided to study with EK (10 week course) and started at the end of september, but I am having difficulty with GChem/OChem/Physics since its been a while since I've taken those courses (im scoring 6's in these sections) so im generally covering this stuff now to know what I know well and what I dont.

Over the winter break (december 5th for me till Jan5) is when Im deciding to go full speed with the gchem/physics/ochem with Berk Review stuff since I have an entire month, and do a boat load of problems from EK 1001's and start doing full length tests.

I cant do too much now b/c I have 3 different classes + research (approx 20 Hours/week) + work (valet) + volunteering + mcats....

how does this look? and please, I know taking the mcat three times is not that good, but I'm determined to become a physician, and if it means taking this exam 3 times, I will. Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is a very bad idea to spend only a month of hardcore studying, especially considering it would be your third test. I think you should take a solid three months COMPLETELY devoted to the MCAT. No school, no research, no job (if you can help it), just the MCAT. Worry about applying AFTER you have a good score. Again, let me stress that it is NOT a good idea to spend only a month. You must do everything you can to ensure you get a score that makes you happy. Lastly, do NOT retake the test if your practice test scores aren't +2 points above your acceptable score. If you don't have access to new practice tests, do not take your score on retaken practice tests seriously.

I don't believe a month will be enough. Now, you could prove me wrong, and that would be great - but improving from 6s takes time. If I were you, I would take the test in at least March, and dedicate at least a month EACH to these subjects.

If you take your time with this, you will improve. Make it your mission to LEARN the science. Don't memorize the equations - understand why they work. If there is a topic or paragraph that confuses you, find a better explanation in a different book, and draw it out with examples until you really GET why it has to be that way. Find your old Gchem professor, go to his office hours and ask him how you can possibly remember the difference between Raoult's law and Henry's law. Write it down. Explain it back to him. Anything you can't explain to another person with some confidence is something that you need to study until you can.

Also, if you're determined to take this in January, you will need to drop one of your activities and get started now. I know it's hard - I'm going to have to do the same thing this next semester, and I don't look forward to telling my volunteer organization that I will be scaling back my hours across the board. I did the same thing a few semesters ago when I quit my job because I realized I was running the risk of getting Bs in my prereqs when I could have As with more hours to study. But I've picked up other ECs and it looks like a strength for my application.

Think about it, anyway, because priorities are going to matter here - I know it's tough, but med schools won't see the volunteering or the research if your application doesn't make it to their minimum cutoff for the MCAT. Good luck!

Also, if you're determined to take this in January, you will need to drop one of your activities and get started now.

dude I feel you, and I did start in september, but I feel very pressured with all the stuff going on. Im still debating as to what I want to do

thanks for your inputs guys. Its very appreciated.