Time needed for Step 2 CS and CK for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

Tomorrow I am having my step 1 exam. I spent about 6 months studying for it but 4 of those months were during morning classes for uni so I guess I could do the same level of studying in 3 months of studying just step 1.

I am planning to start my step 2 studying when I finish med school(in 1,5 years). I know that most of the US students spend 4-6 weeks studying for each step while IMGs spend some months. After some research I found some people saying they studied 4 weeks for CK while one IMG spent 6 months.

I am not asking an exact amount of time, just a correlation of step 1 vs step 2 ck studying. Also, as I understood CS is more practical and everyone needs a few weeks. What is your input on that? I would prefer inputs from IMGs as it seems I am following their tempo

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an IMG personally but I've tutored a lot of IMGs. You'll get a much better sense of how much time you need for Step 2 CK when you get your Step 1 score back. I've seen IMGs need 6 months like you mention, others who do fine with 8 or so weeks. Step 2 CS study time will depend on many other factors, such as English proficiency and availability of a live study partner.

Reactions: 1 user