1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

time off after residency?

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by justwondering, Feb 15, 2007.

1. justwondering

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i'm not in residency yet, but im thinking ahead as far as trying to plan when to have kids. im wondering if there are any issues/problems (professionally) with trying to plan to have a baby right after residency is over and then not working for 6mo or more. any licensing issues? would it be much harder to find a job (i want to work PT) if i wait to apply?

i plan to practice in TX.

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

No professional issues from my understanding. Some get the license before they finish residency. (You didn't ask about board certification which is not state related.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shodddy18

Shodddy18 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I cant imagine it would be a problem. Some residency programs may have a problem with it, but once you are done and have your own license, you can work as little or as much as you want... as long as you keep up with your license.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    justwondering

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks for the responses. as far as keeping up with my license. what does that entail? how long can i be not practicing medicine and still have an active license?

5. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Every state is different. If it's only six months or so, I doubt you'll have any worries. If it was going to be years, you'd still have to keep up CME requirements, pay fees, etc.

6. OP
    OP
    justwondering

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    cool, thanks!

7. jmsMD

jmsMD Perpetual Student
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That brings up an interesting question.

I dont have a license yet so, I am not sure. But the important question to ask is, how often do you need to reapply for your state license once it is already granted? Annually? Does it vary from state to state. And when applying for renewal what questions are there on the form?

I am sure that each state has a renewal applications every year that is downloadable on the states website. Go check out the state you are asking about. If they ask have you had a leave of absence int he past year, and ask you to explain that leave, there might be an issue. I am sure however, that having a child is a legit reason.

Any practicing FP's want to take a stab at it?

8. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In VA, you just show them the money. ;)