time off after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwondering

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm not in residency yet, but im thinking ahead as far as trying to plan when to have kids. im wondering if there are any issues/problems (professionally) with trying to plan to have a baby right after residency is over and then not working for 6mo or more. any licensing issues? would it be much harder to find a job (i want to work PT) if i wait to apply?

i plan to practice in TX.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not in residency yet, but im thinking ahead as far as trying to plan when to have kids. im wondering if there are any issues/problems (professionally) with trying to plan to have a baby right after residency is over and then not working for 6mo or more. any licensing issues? would it be much harder to find a job (i want to work PT) if i wait to apply?

i plan to practice in TX.

No professional issues from my understanding. Some get the license before they finish residency. (You didn't ask about board certification which is not state related.)

I cant imagine it would be a problem. Some residency programs may have a problem with it, but once you are done and have your own license, you can work as little or as much as you want... as long as you keep up with your license.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses. as far as keeping up with my license. what does that entail? how long can i be not practicing medicine and still have an active license?

thanks for the responses. as far as keeping up with my license. what does that entail? how long can i be not practicing medicine and still have an active license?

Every state is different. If it's only six months or so, I doubt you'll have any worries. If it was going to be years, you'd still have to keep up CME requirements, pay fees, etc.

That brings up an interesting question.

I dont have a license yet so, I am not sure. But the important question to ask is, how often do you need to reapply for your state license once it is already granted? Annually? Does it vary from state to state. And when applying for renewal what questions are there on the form?

I am sure that each state has a renewal applications every year that is downloadable on the states website. Go check out the state you are asking about. If they ask have you had a leave of absence int he past year, and ask you to explain that leave, there might be an issue. I am sure however, that having a child is a legit reason.

Any practicing FP's want to take a stab at it?

I dont have a license yet so, I am not sure. But the important question to ask is, how often do you need to reapply for your state license once it is already granted? Annually? Does it vary from state to state. And when applying for renewal what questions are there on the form?

In VA, you just show them the money. ;)