Time off

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by mcatkitkat, Nov 17, 2002.

1. mcatkitkat

mcatkitkat Member

Can I take time off (around 10 months) after the pre-clinical years? Do I have to get permission from the med school to do that?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

Every school has their own policy. Some are quite lenient if you have a good reason. There are a number of women in the classes ahead of mine that took a year off because of having a baby. Other reasons for time off include other family issues, doing research at other institutions, getting other degrees, etc. I'm not sure they just let you take a year off to sit on your butt. Depends on the school though.

4. DrBravesgirl

DrBravesgirl Surgeon for a year

Resident [Any Field]
    I've been accepted to med school already, but I'm thinking about taking a year off before I absorb myself in med school life..chiefly because the past 3 1/2 years have been really stressful, and I'd just like to recoup before I start...I'd either be interning with a healthcare-related organization, or working in a doctor's office...but I'm not 100% sure I really want to take an entire year off? Any comments/suggestions from those who have taken a year off, and whether it worked out? My real concern is being rusty after all that time of doing absolutely nothing..can anyone offer some words of wisdom? :confused:

5. well many people have taken a year off for different reasons, family, pregnancy or just for the heck of it. u have to find out from the school u got accepted to, cos some schools wont allow u to take a year off without a valid reason, and i dont think it should affect ur wisdom ;)

6. IlianaSedai

IlianaSedai Senior Member

DrBravesgirl, I took a year off before starting. My school was very supportive of that (ask 'em first). I had no problems getting back into the swing of studying. It made me a lot LESS stressed than people who went straight in, even though I did the same amount of work, and I could breathe easier than the kids who went straight in.

Why....

Because I worked-- left at 8:30 and came back at 5:30 every day, and when I left the office I put the work behind me and didn't think about it anymore. The med school day does not end at 5:30 because you have to go home and read the books for a few hours-- but I know that at 10pm or 11:30pm or whenever I get tired, I close the books and the work day is over.

I find that some students who don't have the experience of working "in the real world" do not know when or how to stop during the first semester, and I can sometimes see that they physically study themselves into the ground. They get ill, break out with zits and cold sores, get crabby during the day, and so on. The funny thing is that, with all of that self-torture, their grades aren't necessarily any better. So I think that taking a year off, especially after 3 1/2 years of really struggling in college (I did too) is a great idea.

And I didn't have a fun year off either-- the economy collapsed and I spent more than 6 months looking for a job. That was fairly depressing-- but even that experience made me so much better equipped to approach grad school in a healthy (and happy) way.