Time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cal_Irish04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's an issue that I haven't heard addressed yet: How many of you are planning to defer your MSTP a year? Is this even allowed like the regular MDs?

Since MSTP is so long, I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys want to get started ASAP to get out ASAP. However, I was considering doing a year of foreign medical work to give myself a little bit of exposure to real world medicine while allowing my brain a short reset period after non-stop school since kindergarten. I figure I'll be in school so long, one extra year probably won't make that big of a difference. Though I'm still debating this issue and I'm not even sure if it is allowed.

I know another option would be to just apply for the next cycle, but going abroad would definitely complicate the whole application process and I'm not willing to go through the hassle. It would be nice to just have a spot in the next year's class waiting for you when you get back.

Really interested in hearing your responses!:)

Members don't see this ad.

heyo -
i definately think taking a year off is a fantastic idea. though i don't feel tired or burnt out now, i'm still trying to look for options to defer a year. especially for mstp - this is really some sort of juncture point. many people i know are defering mstp, and most schools are cool with that. i know a girl who decided to teach in the dominican and will be attendin washU next year - number of other examples. especially since our scheduales are essentially packed for the next 7 years, this is a great time to go do what you'd like to do - international work, travel etc... it isn't impossible later, but just becomes more hectic i imagine.

even though mstp is going to take a long time - and people usually argue, 'why waste time when its already so long' - i couldn't disagree more. if one keeps on looking at each phase as a block to be passed - they must realize that there will always be something new to chase after - residency, assis prof, tenure etc... we're in it for so long that taking a year to do something you've always wanted to do is a great idea.

heh - i've definately been thinking about this recently, even though i will probably be starting in the fall. at the very least, take the summer off!

i will definitely be taking a year off to spend some time in germany. so far, all of the mstps i've been accepted to have been incredibly receptive and understanding of my decision. it's also nice to know that i can really take a year off without having to worry about applications. however, many people also apply while they are abroad. this has some advantages too, since they can really enjoy their senior year as opposed to balancing classes, applications, interviews, and fun time!

Members don't see this ad :)
you will be totally fine deferring a year at most programs. I wanted to start straight out of college (what can I say, I like school), but if you need some time to chill out a year off is definitely a good idea. They will probably want to make sure that it is something medically related (i.e. you're not just sitting at your mom's eating Lays and watching Jerry Springer), but besides that you should be fine.

I'm actually thinking of taking a year off between my 2nd year of med school and when I start my PhD...I want to try to get a Fulbright and go to London to study Health Care Economics at LSE. Hopefully the folks here at Columbia will be down with that...they're pretty flexible.

When it comes to applying from abroad, i think it seems pretty tough as far as traveling goes...some schools will be accomodating for you (i.e. they will coordinate their interviews with other programs all in a row so you can make one long marathon interview session around the country), while others will be annoying and force you to come back just for theirs. But hey I have to say that leaving every weekend to interview while trying to do research, write a thesis, do well in classes, and have fun in my last year at school with my peeps was hectic in its own right.

Well, it's good to know that I have options. I wasn't sure if they had any special stipulations for mudphuds, because they don't expressly address it. I noticed that some schools (e.g.- UCSF) does not let very many people defer. They say you must have a really good reason. I'm seriously considering spending the next year working in China doing public health work with the growing AIDs epidemic. Would this count as a good enough reason?

I'm pretty sure balancing interviews with school and research will be tough, but I'll have the degree requirements for both my majors done in the fall. Spring will be all reasearch with one or two "fun" classes.

I took a year off and I love it. Join an awesome lab and you won't be sorry.