Time reading Verbal passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I was wondering how I should go about timing myself doing verbal passages. As a retaker, I know that the current verbal exams are definitely longer than most aamc, ek or princeton practice passages. If I am timing myself for about 7-8 minutes per passage, how should I adjust to the real thing when the time comes? Should I still try to complete them within the same tjme frame or allow myself for a little bit more time?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously the shorter the better; but 7-8 minutes is what I think most people aim for. This leaves you with 4 minutes at the end, so you can have some leeway but definitely don't go over 9 minutes on any passage. I actually did that today because I had 19 minutes for 2 passages, and the current one was a ****ing doozy...

Reading speed is never the issue for a verbal exam. An average reader reads at 200 word/min. With 7 passages at 600 works that is only 21 minutes for reading, leaving you 39 minutes to answer questions. The issue is that you are going back too much and re-reading material. If you are not getting through the test, don't go back...