Time Sensitive/NYC Teaching Fellows Program, HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever know someone who did or is in the NYC Teaching Fellows Program-HELP

Anyone ever know someone who did or is in the New York Teaching Fellows Program? I was recently invited to an interview for the program but I never been to NYC and live in the midwest. I need someone to give me advice about it, is it worth it, how is it, will the money be enough to live off. How was the experience. I was thinking of doing this before going to medical school to get my health in check with healthcare insurance, experience a new city and teach which i also love doing, but i am very scared of the unknown and need urgent help and advice since I have a week or less to make a decision to accept my interview.

Thanks alot!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go ahead and interview and see what else you find out about it. You could always turn down the offer after the interview, right? I don't see why this is a crisis.

Anyone ever know someone who did or is in the NYC Teaching Fellows Program-HELP

Anyone ever know someone who did or is in the New York Teaching Fellows Program? I was recently invited to an interview for the program but I never been to NYC and live in the midwest. I need someone to give me advice about it, is it worth it, how is it, will the money be enough to live off. How was the experience. I was thinking of doing this before going to medical school to get my health in check with healthcare insurance, experience a new city and teach which i also love doing, but i am very scared of the unknown and need urgent help and advice since I have a week or less to make a decision to accept my interview.

Thanks alot!!!

I don't know if it's worth it. That's for you to decide.

The money will be enough. It ain't grand but you can live on it and save some up. Just live in the boroughs. You'll get a master's in education for free, free teacher training and the luxurious life of a (science?) teacher. If you're scared of the unknown though, I don't know why you'd want to be a teacher in an urban setting. If health insurance is the primary reason, since you listed it first, I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise just go to the interview.

I don't know if it's worth it. That's for you to decide.

The money will be enough. It ain't grand but you can live on it and save some up. Just live in the boroughs. You'll get a master's in education for free, free teacher training and the luxurious life of a (science?) teacher. If you're scared of the unknown though, I don't know why you'd want to be a teacher in an urban setting. If health insurance is the primary reason, since you listed it first, I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise just go to the interview.

It isn't free, you have to pay them for the summer "institute" once you get a job. I just accepted my offer for the Texas Teaching Fellows which is basically the same thing, i also recieved an interview invite for New York but never attended due to the fact that it is too far away and they place you in high needs schools in New York, which could be in a dangerous area. They don't have any Teaching Fellows program in your area?