Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Time to apply to another specialty?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Slim Pickins, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I've gotten 2 interviews and 16 rejections!

I'm trying to decide if I should apply to some programs in other fields (PM+R, Peds, etc) before it's too late. I'm getting seriously scared and actually pretty depressed. Any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1) How many programs did you apply to? It seems like even competitive applicants this year applied to a minimum of 25-30.

2) Did your dean or PD give you any indication of how competitive an applicant you are?

3) Don't apply to another field unless it is something you really would like to do. If you make a change like that out of desperation, it is almost certainly a recipe for disappointment.

4) It's getting kind of late to apply to other programs, even in other fields. A lot of places have an 11/1 deadline.

5) Did you apply to prelim or TY programs, and if so, do you have interviews lined up? If so, you may be better off taking a prelim spot and either scrambling in March (if you don't match in anesthesia), or reapplying to anesthesia next year (if that's still what you want to do, and you think you can do something to improve your application -- research, good Step 2 score, etc.).

4. thegasman

thegasman ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Don't worry too much, even if you don't match the scramble is always an option, you can likely find a spot somewhere.

5. adleyinga

adleyinga Einstein
    5+ Year Member

Slim
    Scramble is option. If don't get anesthesia position then find another preliminary slot. You may need to improve application by doing another specialty first. All depends on our test scores

6. Slim Pickins

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks you guys. I just applied to a bunch more TY, Prelim's to prepare myself for the not-match scenario.

Another question: Lets say I don't match and just do a TY or PM year and re-apply the next year. Is there any chance of matching for PGY-2/CA-1 next year? I guess my question is: can I get into a program next year and not waste a year? Or will I have to redo internship at that point?

Slim

7. Slim Pickins

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]