Time to build credit score?

Started by spyderefs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spyderefs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, let me preface: newbie here, did a search, and looking for more specific info.

I've been out of school for ~1 yr and I am matriculating into medical school soon about to take on loads of debt. I practically have no credit score and I want to take out a credit card for the sole purpose of building one. Prior I have been budgeting fine without it and don't look to change spending habits.

Is it a bad idea to do this right now with looming loans coming my way? In other words, would trying (and possibly failing sometimes) to get approved affect my score, consequently affecting loan packages?
 
You needed to start building your credit yesterday. Now the only credit cards you are likely to be eligible for are student cards (when you start school again) and having high credit limits may be difficult. Banks are stingy these days. So yes, you should get a credit card.