Quantcast

Grad Plus loans with poor credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebiggerfish012

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying for graduate plus loans for medical school, but I am worried I will not be approved. I do not have an adverse credit history (no missed payments, no loan/cc defaults etc.) but I do have a low credit score due to a high amount of consumer debt from the few months following undergrad where I was trying to get on my feet (low 600s). I am working to lower the debt, but I haven't been able to find anything regarding how this might affect my chances of receiving a Grad Plus loan.

If anyone can offer some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

naijacardriodoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying for graduate plus loans for medical school, but I am worried I will not be approved. I do not have an adverse credit history (no missed payments, no loan/cc defaults etc.) but I do have a low credit score due to a high amount of consumer debt from the few months following undergrad where I was trying to get on my feet (low 600s). I am working to lower the debt, but I haven't been able to find anything regarding how this might affect my chances of receiving a Grad Plus loan.

If anyone can offer some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
They don’t look at ur score...

Reactions: 1 user

SigmaFS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the credit criteria:

The student's credit report must be free of the following adverse items:
  • Currently 90 days or more delinquent on repayment of any debt.
  • Debt placed in collection or charged off (written off) within the past two years.
  • Evidence of a bankruptcy, default, discharge, foreclosure, tax lien, repossession, wage garnishment, or write-off of a debt during the past five years.
  • Collection accounts or charge-offs with a balance greater than $2,085.
Not too difficult to secure a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS.

Reactions: 1 user