Time to get a passport?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EEL08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a passport. My husband received an interview at UMDNJ but has to show proof of citizenship. They said either a birth certificate or a passport. He was born in another country though so the birth certificate wouldn't confirm it so he'll have to get a passport. Does this sound like something they would be willing to take after the interview. I'm sure it takes much longer than <2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a passport. My husband received an interview at UMDNJ but has to show proof of citizenship. They said either a birth certificate or a passport. He was born in another country though so the birth certificate wouldn't confirm it so he'll have to get a passport. Does this sound like something they would be willing to take after the interview. I'm sure it takes much longer than <2 weeks.

What about a marriage license?

I'm not sure if that would provide enough information for citizenship or not. I will have to check though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey EEL08--you can ask about expediting it, but those have still been going slow. Couple things first, does he have a passport already? If so, renewing (even if already expired normally goes faster). Secondly, the school may allow the expired passport with paperwork showing that a current one is in process for now, and then a copy of the actual passport when he gets it. Also, in order to get a passport if born elsewhere, you would have to have the proper paperwork to become a US citizen. Wouldn't that paperwork be good enough for the school.

Right now, normal processing time is around 6 months and they use date of travel as processing order. They may be able to do yours quicker for this kind of purpose though!

Hope this helps and good luck!

it took me about 10 weeks to receive mine.. I applied for one in July.. however my parents just applied for one about two months ago and received theirs in four weeks.. so maybe because this is 'down time' it will be quicker.. but id say definitley four weeks at least.

Your husband can show proof of citizenship by either producing a US passport (either current or expired) or a certificate of naturalization (if he was naturalized) or certificate of citizenship (through immigration if he filed the proper paperwork)

The easiest way is to produce a US passport. For sake of proving US Citizenship, an expired passport will do (it's good enough for the US federal government, it should be good enough for UMDNJ).

Currently because of new rules in regards to passport (ie needing it to go to Canada, Mexico, etc), there was a huge increase in passport applications during the summer (and subsequently a backlog and people waiting months).

According to the US Department of State's website, the current waiting time for an unexpedited passport application is 4-6 weeks.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

I was born in another country and everyplace lets me use my social security card as a proof of citizenship. I have a passport but many places actually prefer I use social security card Could you ask about this. If not, he is just going to have to ask for time extention for this, I'm sure they will understand

Thanks everyone! I really didn't know anything about getting a passport. As far as I know my husband doesn't have an expired one. He should have a citizenship paper somewhere though.

Hey EELO8,

If your husband needs a passport ASAP, he can get it. Only problem is he has to fly to Seattle to get it. The only passport office in the U.S. that will produce a passport on the spot, within the same day is in Seattle, Washington. One has to call that office one day ahead of time to make an appointment, give a valid reason for needing a passport in the next 24 hours, then they require you to fly to Seattle in person to get it and on top of that you pay something like triple the price of a normal passport. But if you need to leave the country ASAP (or prove to adcoms your U.S. citizenship) than this is a way for one to do so.

Hey EELO8,

If your husband needs a passport ASAP, he can get it. Only problem is he has to fly to Seattle to get it. The only passport office in the U.S. that will produce a passport on the spot, within the same day is in Seattle, Washington. One has to call that office one day ahead of time to make an appointment, give a valid reason for needing a passport in the next 24 hours, then they require you to fly to Seattle in person to get it and on top of that you pay something like triple the price of a normal passport. But if you need to leave the country ASAP (or prove to adcoms your U.S. citizenship) than this is a way for one to do so.

So EE, you can fly to Portland, stay with me, drive up to Seattle and get your passport, sounds like a perfect plan:rolleyes:

you can get one fast without going to Seattle. It's just $$$$$$.

It's $97 normally, but for expedited service they'll charge you $157 and then send it within 3 business days.

I'm applying for one at the moment and this is what it says on my paperwork

I was born in another country and everyplace lets me use my social security card as a proof of citizenship. I have a passport but many places actually prefer I use social security card Could you ask about this. If not, he is just going to have to ask for time extention for this, I'm sure they will understand

this is interesting. I am a greencard holder but I too have a social security card. All medical schools that I had applied thus far had asked me for a copy of my green card, I don't think social security card is the proof of citizenship- because greencard holders, H1 visa, L1 visa holders and F1 visa holders all of them have social security cards.

We got our passports a family of 5 in 2 weeks (this was in Oct)

Your husband will have to present either certificate of Naturalization (if he is U.S citizen) or a green card as a resident alien. SS# does not prove legal stautus, nor does driver's, marriage or any other domestically-issued document. Basically, they just want to verify his immigration status, if there is no U.S-issued birth cirtificate.

Hope it helps.

It's $97 normally, but for expedited service they'll charge you $157 and then send it within 3 business days.

I'm applying for one at the moment and this is what it says on my paperwork
Have they lowered it yet? I did expedited back in August and got it in 2 weeks.

They are going to require a birth certificate/proof of citizenship for passport. And they will take the original and mail it back to you if you do it at like a post office (that's what happened to me). Just FYI.

Your husband will have to present either certificate of Naturalization (if he is U.S citizen) or a green card as a resident alien. SS# does not prove legal stautus, nor does driver's, marriage license or any other domestically-issued document. Basically, they just want to verify his immigration status, if there is no U.S-issued birth cirtificate.

Hope it helps.

Hey EE, Sorry, I didn't read through the whole thread. it looks like it was already covered. But I don't think he has to travel anywhere if your husband is a U.S citizen. I'm in NY. So getting a passport is quite easy. One can do it at multiple immigration service offices, or at some designated post offices. If he has a certificate of Naturalization, he won't need a passport, unless he wants to go abroad.

Thanks for the input everyone! We decided it's probably best for us all to get passports eventually anyway. In terms of UMDNJ specifically though I told him to look through his box and try to find his citizen certificate thing. I swear I thought it was in there. He thinks that maybe he has a copy but his mom might have the original. He's been a citizen now for 21 years.