Time to reapply...where should I apply? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovelamp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this year I applied to 14 schools, interviewed at 3 and was waitlisted at all 3 (OSU, UIC and Wayne State). I don't think I am getting in so its time to reapply.
Here are my stats
MCAT:36
GPA: 3.4
Majors: Biochemistry, Chemistry and Microbiology
Residency state: MI

I doubt I can get into any of the Michigan schools. So its most likely going to be out of state. I am definitely going to include OSU, UIC and Wayne State again in my list. So I need some more schools. Can you SDNers help me out and suggest some schools?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

But you're still going to apply to the Michigan schools, right? I would still apply to them if I was you. Why do you think you didn't get in this year? What are you going to do differently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ilovelamp said:
Ok, this year I applied to 14 schools, interviewed at 3 and was waitlisted at all 3 (OSU, UIC and Wayne State). I don't think I am getting in so its time to reapply.
Here are my stats

I doubt I can get into any of the Michigan schools. So its most likely going to be out of state. I am definitely going to include OSU, UIC and Wayne State again in my list. So I need some more schools. Can you SDNers help me out and suggest some schools?
Thanks.

I would add the Medical University of Ohio (now known as the University of Toledo), Medical College of Wisconsin, and Cincy

jackieMD2007 said:
But you're still going to apply to the Michigan schools, right? I would still apply to them if I was you. Why do you think you didn't get in this year? What are you going to do differently?

I'm still going to apply. Out of the schools I applied last year, I only had about 5 secondaries. Most schools screened me out. This year I have a lot more clinical and volunteer experience that I am going to include. Ill probably change my PS too.

Ilovelamp said:
I'm still going to apply. Out of the schools I applied last year, I only had about 5 secondaries. Most schools screened me out. This year I have a lot more clinical and volunteer experience that I am going to include. Ill probably change my PS too.

You got screened out with a 3.4 and a 36? At what kind of school? Seriously. That doesn't make any sense to me. They screened you out on GPA or on what? :confused:

Ilovelamp said:

Make sure you fill out more than 5 secondaries this year. Maybe you applied to too many top ranked schools last year??

But with a 36 and a 3.4 gpa you should have some acceptances this next time around. Maybe a lack of volunteer and clinical exp. kept you out last year.

Good Luck.

PS: Some schools

Drexel
Albany
NYMC
Temple (about half are OOS)
SLU
RFU
Pennstate (accept decent amound of OOS applicants)

are you going to try DO? in the mean time you can see if you can get a fee waiver and apply to three schools for free!

Ilovelamp said:
Here are my stats

Thanks.

Your numerical stats are solid, so did you find out where you fell short (ECs, interviews, essays, LORs)? And, if so, have you fixed these issues? Reapplicants are supposed to demonstrate substantial improvement, not just toss up the same app again and hope it sticks. That's the first level of inquiry before you put together a list of schools. For major things to correct it sometimes even makes sense to sit out a cycle. Good luck.

i think your MCAT is superb. your GPA is on the low side but you couldn't have been screened b/c LOTS of ppl get in or interviews or even secondaries w/ 3.4s and not 36s on MCATs.

i think what i would do is don't reapply just yet. b/c w/ ur MCAT, you can def. get into a top 20 school

1) take some classes to bring that GPA over a 3.5 or even a 3.6.
2) improve your ECs. go do more volunteering if you don't have enough of that. or go work in a lab and see if you can assist anyone on their research projects and get paid while at it and save those money for the apps

u got on 3 waitlists so i dont think it was your interviews. did u apply REALLY late?

doublehh03 said:
i think your MCAT is superb. your GPA is on the low side but you couldn't have been screened b/c LOTS of ppl get in or interviews or even secondaries w/ 3.4s and not 36s on MCATs.

i think what i would do is don't reapply just yet. b/c w/ ur MCAT, you can def. get into a top 20 school

1) take some classes to bring that GPA over a 3.5 or even a 3.6.
2) improve your ECs. go do more volunteering if you don't have enough of that. or go work in a lab and see if you can assist anyone on their research projects and get paid while at it and save those money for the apps

u got on 3 waitlists so i dont think it was your interviews. did u apply REALLY late?

I loaded up on volunteer experiences this year so those are good. I can't really do anything about the GPA because I graduated. But I am taking some grad courses in the fall and I am going to bust my behind to get some 4.0s. Oh and for the person who said I should fill out more than 5 secondaries...I would if I got more than 5...:(
I was rejected pre-secondary from many schools. Mostly the midwest schools. (Northwestern, Pritzker etc.)

People with less than a 3.5 get screened out?
University of Chicago DOES NOT screen. I am pretty clear the Northwestern doesn't screen either. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ilovelamp said:
I can't really do anything about the GPA because I graduated. But I am taking some grad courses in the fall and I am going to bust my behind to get some 4.0s.

You want to take more undergrad level courses and those informal postbac classes will get factored into your cumulative ug GPA on AMCAS. So yes, you can do someting about the GPA post graduation. Graduate classes wont affect this number -- they are in a separate GPA. So if this stat is the problem, the grad classes might not do the trick.

Most schools don't screen for secondaries. Most people applying to 14 schools would have gotten more than 5 secondaries. I'm pretty sure both Northwestern and Pritzker didn't screen.

Anyway, I had similar stats with you (but did have lots of med related extracurriculars and other stuff that isn't really "statable"). Rosalind Franklin and SUNY-Downstate would be good to add to your list. I added them after researching stats to find safeties. They were the two schools I got into during the regular season (but I'm probably going to a school that took me off their waitlist this summer).

I find it very odd that with stats like yours, you got screened out of most of the schools you applied to...

a 36 MCAT will have you be considered pretty much anywhere, and a 3.4 GPA with a triple major?? Something is not adding up...

MinnyGophers said:
I find it very odd that with stats like yours, you got screened out of most of the schools you applied to...

a 36 MCAT will have you be considered pretty much anywhere, and a 3.4 GPA with a triple major?? Something is not adding up...

Agreed. I suggested the OP figure out where s/he needs to improve a few posts back.

What do you mean you only got 5 out of 14 secondaries? If they didn't email you directly, you could have found the links on their websites or here on SDN. For most non-screening schools, you can just fill out a secondary and sent it. You don't have to wait for an invite! This year I would look into being more proactive about filling out secondaries. If you are unsure if a school screens, check the MSAR or call them. Good luck.

Ilovelamp said:
Here are my stats

Thanks.

Even if you picked 14 schools that do screen before secondaries, I would never believe that you got screened out by that many with those stats :rolleyes:

I smell either a trollish post, or the OP is not telling us something..

If it's a troll post, it's not a very good one :laugh:

Maybe the OP is an illegal alien?

something's funky in your app that you're not telling us. i mean i have a conduct violation on my app and even though i was not accepted anywhere, i received a secondary from the majority of schools i applied to.

Yeah for sure.

Whatever it is, something's not kosher here. People with 36 MCAT and 3.4 GPA have a better than average change of getting accepted, IMHO, and definitely don't get screened out like that.

I would drop-kick a small puppy over a high bridge and make an anchorman cry for those stats*.

*Disclaimer: No, I wouldn't really do that. I'm just proving a point.

Ok I'm not a troll. Im genuinely asking for help. I know something doesn't add up with my app. Its boggling my mind too. So here are all the details.
Felony convictions: None
Academic actions/violations: None

ECs that I will be listing this year:
Volunteering at Sparrow Hospital
Shadowing Dr. Nagappan (Cardiologist)
Shadowing/Observing the Neurological Intensive Care unit at the Detroit Medical Center
Capital Area Literacy Coalition volunteer
Admissions Office and Honors College volunteer
American Red Cross volunteer
Habitat for Humanity volunteer
Round Table representative
Taekwondo team member
Musician
Physics help room tutor
NSCL student researcher
Shaw Hall weight room volunteer
Full tuition award recipient
University Undergraduate Research and Arts Forum Award recipient

I got help with my PS from UMich's Dean of Admissions so I want to use it again. But at the same time, I want to make my PS more unique.
Thanks for the help. :)

Edit: Im not an illegal alien either.

ironmanf14 said:
Even if you picked 14 schools that do screen before secondaries, I would never believe that you got screened out by that many with those stats :rolleyes:

I thought my stats weren't that good. I know my GPA is really low compared to most others. But I didn't understand why I got rejected pre-secondary at many places. Vanderbilt rejected me a week after I was verified by amcas. :(

Ilovelamp said:
I thought my stats weren't that good. I know my GPA is really low compared to most others. But I didn't understand why I got rejected pre-secondary at many places. Vanderbilt rejected me a week after I was verified by amcas. :(

I found out way into the application cycle that somehow my scores were loaded incorrectly. My MCAT scores were 4 points lower than I actually had - which if schools screen can be significant.

Maybe this is something to look into? If somehow your schools were uploaded at schools incorrectly?

slb830 said:
I found out way into the application cycle that somehow my scores were loaded incorrectly. My MCAT scores were 4 points lower than I actually had - which if schools screen can be significant.

Maybe this is something to look into? If somehow your schools were uploaded at schools incorrectly?

So when I reapply, should I contact the schools to see if the scores were loaded correctly?
Thanks.

I still don't understand why you were getting "screened out" at schools that don't screen in the first place. , like Northwestern or Pritzker. Did you have a problem with your email? Did you go out of the country? Botch secondary deadlines? Couldn't fill LOR requirement?
You should post your school list and let us know where you got secondaries. Where are you-in state, by the way?

Ilovelamp said:
So when I reapply, should I contact the schools to see if the scores were loaded correctly?
Thanks.

OP, all you have to do is CHECK YOUR AMCAS once it is verified. Go to the "print application" button and you can preview it as a PDF and even print a copy, which you will need when you do secondaries.

jackieMD2007 said:
OP, all you have to do is CHECK YOUR AMCAS once it is verified. Go to the "print application" button and you can preview it as a PDF and even print a copy, which you will need when you do secondaries.

No - my scores were correct on AMCAS. So, if i printed my AMCAS application everything was kosher. There was a glitch between the UMASS and AMCAS systems - and the only reason I found out was because my interviewer made a comment about my MCATs. I found this out in February. I assume if it happened at one school it could have happened elsewhere as well...I called the schools where I wasnt already rejected at to check. I probably should have called all schools...

so, I wouldnt suggest something that was as simple as "checking amcas"

Wow! That is crazy. One more thing that can go wrong, I guess. :eek:
But people should still check amcas.

jackieMD2007 said:
Wow! That is crazy. One more thing that can go wrong, I guess. :eek:
But people should still check amcas.

Absolutely. The can calculcate averages incorrectly, etc.

jackieMD2007 said:
I still don't understand why you were getting "screened out" at schools that don't screen in the first place. , like Northwestern or Pritzker. Did you have a problem with your email? Did you go out of the country? Botch secondary deadlines? Couldn't fill LOR requirement?
You should post your school list and let us know where you got secondaries. Where are you-in state, by the way?

State of residency is Michigan. All the secondaries I recieved I sent back.
Here is a list and if I recieved a secondary or not. I guess I was wrong about Northwestern and Pritzker. I forgot I actually received secondaries from them. I guess I did get more secondaries than I originally remembered. Sorry about that.

Indiana University School of Medicine - Rejected pre-secondary
Medical College of Ohio - Did not recieve a secondary
Michigan State University - Rejected pre-secondary
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine - Received secondary. Rejected without interview
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth. - Received secondary. Interviewed - Waitlisted
University of Chicago - Pritzker - Received secondary. Rejected.
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine - Received secondary. Rejected.
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic - Received secondary, interviewed - Waitlisted.
University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine - Received secondary. Rejected
University of Michigan Medical School - Received secondary. Rejected.
University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis - Received secondary (two of my recommender's blew the deadline :mad: )
University of North Carolina School of Medicine - Rejected pre-secondary.
University of Wisconsin - Rejected pre-secondary.
Wayne State University School of Medicine - Received secondary. Interviewed - waitlisted.

Ok so I guess I forgot that I got more secondaries. But it looks like I need to write better secondary essays :( .Most of the secondaries I sent back within a week. I think I am going to reapply to the schools that sent me secondaries. But back to the point. What other schools should I apply to?
Again thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. :)

Okay if I was you, I would apply as early as possible to:

Definitely:
Drexel
NYMC
Albany
Ohio State
UIC
Wayne State
UMich
Rosalind Franklin

Maybe:
Mich State
UCinci
University of Iowa
Northwestern
Pritzker

* I have been told that it is the kiss of death for re-applicants to just use the SAME PS, SAME LETTERS, etc. Write new secondaries. Show them why you're better this time. I have a good friend who went through this and got in this February on her second try. She hated having to re-do things but thinks it defnitely paid off!!!
:luck:

jackieMD2007 said:
Okay if I was you, I would apply as early as possible to:

Definitely:
Drexel
NYMC
Albany
Ohio State
UIC
Wayne State
UMich
Rosalind Franklin

Maybe:
Mich State
UCinci
University of Iowa
Northwestern
Pritzker

I would put Mich State in the definitely pile before I would put U of Mich...MSU has a lower GPA/MCAT cutoff then U of M plus the bonus with MSU is that if you get a secondary then you're automatically guaranteed an interview and application fee is a lot cheaper than U of M's

Ilovelamp said:
University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis - Received secondary (two of my recommender's blew the deadline :mad: )

this makes me think you applied really late in the cycle, or at least you were complete very late, like january. when did you submit your AMCAS? when were you complete at the schools you received secondaries from?

sbs152 said:
this makes me think you applied really late in the cycle, or at least you were complete very late, like january. when did you submit your AMCAS? when were you complete at the schools you received secondaries from?

I applied in early July and I didn't get the secondary till late October. University of Minnesota has these recommendation forms that your recommenders have to fill out and two of my profs just took their sweet time to finish them. :(

When were you file complete at your schools? (All LOR, Secondary, Extra paperwork, etc)??

jackieMD2007 said:
When were you file complete at your schools? (All LOR, Secondary, Extra paperwork, etc)??

Yes. I think this time around, I am going to enlist the SDNers for help with my PS and secondary letters. :) Should I apply to any high tier schools ( I don't know if I can get into them)?

Well if you want to PM me when you have personal statement ready, I will send you my email. I did about 30 personal statements this year. Only warning is that I am brutally honest and have been known to completely re-organize an essay. :luck:

Ilovelamp said:

I'm sorry about the sarcasm in the earlier post, but honestly, I wasn't taking this seriously because it seems so improbable because so many schools do not screen.

Also, your GPA is not that low, and your MCAT is exceptional! Your stats are really good and it seems like you have a great application - this situation just does not add up.

So with that it mind, I am on glitch boat - something must have happened during the AMCAS process that caused you to get screened out. I wish I could help more, but I really hope you do better this time around because it looks like you deserve it :)

Everything seems completely acceptable about all your stats. I highly suggest getting new LORs this time around because they could be the unknown variable that's causing you so many problems.

Also, I would add at Wright State to your list, it's a great safety school and I'm pretty sure there are no essays on the secondary. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the help! jackieMD I would appreciate your input on my PS. As soon as I get a break from work I'll work on one and PM it to you. Thanks again! :)

Ok so these are the schools I decided on. The ivy leagues are a prayer pretty much. Same with the California schools. But I'd rather apply and get rejected than not apply and regret it. Should I add any schools? Remove any?
Thanks.

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Michigan State University
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Temple University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine

cdngirl80 said:
I would put Mich State in the definitely pile before I would put U of Mich...MSU has a lower GPA/MCAT cutoff then U of M plus the bonus with MSU is that if you get a secondary then you're automatically guaranteed an interview and application fee is a lot cheaper than U of M's

MSU does NOT automatically guarantee interviews if you get a secondary. I was rejected post secondary without an interview last year. Unless they have changed their policy this year...