Time to throw in the towel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If I fail the remediation exam, should I quit medical school?

• Yes! quit while you're ahead (or less behind)

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • No! suck it up and graduate a year later.

Votes: 159 85.9%

• Total voters

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps,
So I finished MS1...sort of. I got a 'Marginal Pass' in Gross Anatomy. This means that I have to take the remediation exam in it on Tuesday. I've been studying for about a month but still don't feel confident that I'll pass :( I'd say at this point it's about a 50/50 chance. Since the test is on Tuesday, and I've been studying for a month, been all the way through the body, etc. I'm pretty much at the point of 'que sera sera'. I'll look at some weak points tomorrow but I feel that I've done pretty much all I can do. I'm just not good at anatomy I guess, no matter how much I study.

If I do NOT pass this test, the policy at my school is that you re-take all MS1 classes that you did not high-pass or honor, putting you a year behind (although for me this would only include anatomy, histology, and neuro). Also, I would imagine that it will severly impair my options upon graduation.

With this in mind, I posit the question to the masses: IF you were me, AND you failed this stupid test, would you stay on for another MS1 year with half the classes? Or would you just take your marbles and go home? I'm inclined to the latter, but I'm wondering what others think, espescially if you've been in this situation or know someone who has.

Members don't see this ad.

getunconcsious said:
Hey peeps,
So I finished MS1...sort of. I got a 'Marginal Pass' in Gross Anatomy. This means that I have to take the remediation exam in it on Tuesday. I've been studying for about a month but still don't feel confident that I'll pass :( I'd say at this point it's about a 50/50 chance. Since the test is on Tuesday, and I've been studying for a month, been all the way through the body, etc. I'm pretty much at the point of 'que sera sera'. I'll look at some weak points tomorrow but I feel that I've done pretty much all I can do. I'm just not good at anatomy I guess, no matter how much I study.

If I do NOT pass this test, the policy at my school is that you re-take all MS1 classes that you did not high-pass or honor, putting you a year behind (although for me this would only include anatomy, histology, and neuro). Also, I would imagine that it will severly impair my options upon graduation.

With this in mind, I posit the question to the masses: IF you were me, AND you failed this stupid test, would you stay on for another MS1 year with half the classes? Or would you just take your marbles and go home? I'm inclined to the latter, but I'm wondering what others think, espescially if you've been in this situation or know someone who has.

I guess I would sit back and seriously re-evaluate why I got into medicine. If your reasons were really pure and you're really passionate about medicine itself, then I'd say re-take first year if you don't pass this test.

Okay, now I have to ask the questions that I know everyone else has... why the hell do you have to re-take courses that you did not high pass or honor in if you fail this test? Does the concept of "pass" mean nothing to your school? Also, what's up with marginal pass? Pass is pass, man. Gee whiz, good luck at your school, you have my sympathy.

silas2642 said:
I guess I would sit back and seriously re-evaluate why I got into medicine. If your reasons were really pure and you're really passionate about medicine itself, then I'd say re-take first year if you don't pass this test.

Okay, now I have to ask the questions that I know everyone else has... why the hell do you have to re-take courses that you did not high pass or honor in if you fail this test? Does the concept of "pass" mean nothing to your school? Also, what's up with marginal pass? Pass is pass, man. Gee whiz, good luck at your school, you have my sympathy.

I think that's really it. You gotta decide if this is really for you and if potentially graduating a year later is only a setback for your ultimate goal. If you want to be a doctor the extra year will be worth it. You just need to evaluate how to do better from now on. You've already come pretty darn far.

All my best to you in whatever you choose!! Best wishes for that exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard UIC's chicago Campus has a similar policy. I can completely understand where the OP is coming from, although I would NOT throw in the towel. I would imagine you've worked pretty damn hard to get where you are now, and after all that energy and all that time, do not give up now. I say, study as much as you can today, and see what happens. Goodluck!

getunconcsious said:
Hey peeps,

no! ...don't beat yourself up so much. it's memorization, not some kind of IQ test.

getuconscious: If you give up, I will track you down and beat you to death with blue and pink translucent dildos.

Slap yourself in the face, take some adderall, study like a madman, pass the test, and drink beer until you get unconscious.

Don't even consider not passing this exam.

Focus your energy on passing it.

I was in a similar position as you with Biochem and I had to take a remediation exam to pass it. I passed it and am now moving on to second year.

I didn't see failing as an option and neither should you.

Damn, I feel you on anatomy, possibly the worst class in med school. I too pass anatomy so don't feel to bad. At this point I would study as hard as possible and try to do as many practice questions as possible. Have you try umich anatomy webpage they have alot of good questions on there? Good Luck :luck:

Callogician said:
getuconscious: If you give up, I will track you down and beat you to death with blue and pink translucent dildos.

Slap yourself in the face, take some adderall, study like a madman, pass the test, and drink beer until you get unconscious.

What he said. DO IT! :thumbup:

Severely impair your future in what way? You did fairly well in your other courses. Even if you DID fail this course, you're going to be retaking material you've already had. Thus, you're going to know it cold going into your exams, and it's likely to be a huge help on Step I.

There is a silver lining in everything so long as you're in the game.

Hang in there, man. I passed anatomy with .6 points to spare before remediation (because I bombed (I mean really bombed) my first exam). I've done just fine in my second year coursework--indeed, well above average.

Anatomy isn't even that heavily represented on the boards. Just fight through it if you really want it.

And as others have said, quit even envisioning the possiblity of failure. Just know that you're going to pass and move on.

getunconcsious said:
Hey peeps,

getunconscious,

I agree with several of the above posters. Study as hard as you can for the test, and try your best to pass it. If for some unfortunate reason you do not, you should evaluate the reasons you have chosen to enter medicine.

If I were in your position and had to retake part of MS1, I would also spend a fair amount of that time in a lab. You have already passed the majority of the courses you will have to retake, so consider taking them again extra practice for Step 1. Concentrate your efforts on anatomy, and try to get a publication or two.

I would also suggest talking to one of your Deans. It may be smarter to spend all of your time studying for the classes you have to retake with the goal of getting honors in all of them. Residency directors may expect that you will have really mastered the material for any courses you taken twice. Or maybe not. Ask a Dean.

Good luck.

getunconcsious said:
I've been studying for about a month but still don't feel confident that I'll pass :( I'd say at this point it's about a 50/50 chance. Since the test is on Tuesday, and I've been studying for a month, been all the way through the body, etc. I'm pretty much at the point of 'que sera sera'. I'll look at some weak points tomorrow but I feel that I've done pretty much all I can do. I'm just not good at anatomy I guess, no matter how much I study.

Hi there,
You cannot afford to talk yourself out of passing this exam. You passed your other course exams and you are perfectly capable of passing this too. If you go into this exam with the attitude that "I am just not good not good at anatomy,no matter how much I study", you might as well enroll in the repeat year and save yourself some time and energy.

Take a short break and then continue your review with the attitude that you WILL pass this exam and move on. Worst case scenario is that you repeat the year but do not entertain the worst case scenario.

njbmd :)

silas2642 said:
...If your reasons were really pure and you're really passionate about medicine itself.....

No no no. Medicine is neither a religion or a cult. There are no pure or impure reasons to go into it. Becoming a doctor because you heard that hot nurses are on the prowl for doctors is just as good a reason as a selfless desire to hep' the poor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Panda Bear said:
No no no. Medicine is neither a religion or a cult. There are no pure or impure reasons to go into it. Becoming a doctor because you heard that hot nurses are on the prowl for doctors is just as good a reason as a selfless desire to hep' the poor.
but its cool if you do it for both -cause then the chicks think your sensitive

Panda Bear said:

I agree.

To assume that medicine is somehow more important than other fields and requires an exceptionally noble motivation is both unfounded and arrogant. A computer scientist, engineer, teacher or janitor could also make a major contribution to society-just more indirectly. Would you criticize a janitor if he just wanted a secure physically active job with reasonable pay and wasn't in it for the "passion for all that is clean" or some other hippie bull****?

I respect effective hard working individuals in all fields regardless of their motivation.

Hey all, thanks for the input...didn't expect the votes to be quite so overwhelmingly slanted in the 'don't quit' direction, though.

I'm feeling a bit more confident about the test today. Been studying radiographs and such...I'm still getting like 55-65% on the Pre-Test anatomy sections, but I'm losing faith in Pre-Test. There are way too many questions in that book that are totally out of the scope of our Anatomy course. I'm having a difficult time finding good representative questions (Already finished all the BRS q's) so I guess I will check out that Michigan website.

Wish me luck! :luck:

What kind of test do you have to take? Is it an NMBE anatomy shelf exam? What do you have to score to pass?

At IU, if one does not pass, then one must do independent study with a prof and score a 430 (~25th percentile) on the NBME shelf. It is a high stakes exam, but the chances are in your favor that you will do well.

dude, please please please don't quit.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You realize that if you did repeat the year, you'd only have gross anatomy in the fall and neuro in the spring. With that kind of free time, you could become an all out drunk or start your own brothel. Or both. *That's* why the polls voted overwhelmingly not to drop out!

Hahaha just kidding! Sheesh you probably know more anatomy now than I did when I took the actual final 6 months ago. Best of luck! You'll *rock* it!

Good luck!!!!

getunconcsious said:
Hey all, thanks for the input...didn't expect the votes to be quite so overwhelmingly slanted in the 'don't quit' direction, though.

I'm feeling a bit more confident about the test today. Been studying radiographs and such...I'm still getting like 55-65% on the Pre-Test anatomy sections, but I'm losing faith in Pre-Test. There are way too many questions in that book that are totally out of the scope of our Anatomy course. I'm having a difficult time finding good representative questions (Already finished all the BRS q's) so I guess I will check out that Michigan website.

Wish me luck! :luck:

You know what - Anatomy is mainly a bunch of crappy memorization that I struggled with as well. The sad thing is a bunch of PhDs usually teach it and what you learn doesn't help much with surgery...

And now, a bit of inspiration: one of my classmates had to stay behind b/c of some failed classes and graduate a year later than everyone else. However, he matched at a very good opthamology program! So, though it doesn't have to kill you, don't let it by necessary. Kick some anatomy a$$!

:luck:

IUSM said:
What kind of test do you have to take? Is it an NMBE anatomy shelf exam? What do you have to score to pass?

At IU, if one does not pass, then one must do independent study with a prof and score a 430 (~25th percentile) on the NBME shelf. It is a high stakes exam, but the chances are in your favor that you will do well.

Haha, this is going to sound strange, but I actually really WISH it was the NBME. I took that in the fall as a final and passed. I'm fine with the factual memorization part of anatomy, really. Spatial relationships are what kills me, and that's why I'm freaked about this test...pictures and radiographs are included in it! :scared:

Anyways thanks everyone for all your good wishes...I'm gonna study for about another hour and then try to sleep. I'll let yall know how it goes.

Ahhh good luck! Stick around if not for you, then for me!

I will seriously need you for this upcoming year.

You can do it!

Good luck man, we're all pulling for you!

well get unconscious how did you do-damn time zones

I hope the test went well for you!
I am another one who voted to "suck it up" if anatomy is the only reason you're considering leaving med school. 10 or 20 years from now, the unpleasantness of having to go through those classes again will just be a distant memory, and if that moment of unpleasantness is what it takes to do the career you truly want to do, it will be well worth it.

If you lose total visual acuity then quit, but if its just a little bleeding dont.
In other word dig in deep,study HARD, and FIGHT POSSESED!!!

Hey guys, thanks for all your support! The test is over, and at the risk of jinxing myself, I really do think that I passed. The test was clearly written for those of us who are *****s when it comes to anatomy...so much so that I missed one question by overthinking it. :rolleyes:

I'll find out tomorrow or the next day for sure, but I don't think that I'll have to make this choice after all, thank God. If I do, I will be more inclined to repeat the year, partially due to the responses on here. That, and I had no real alternate plan anyways, except 'move back to Vegas and be a bum/blackjack dealer' which probably isn't smart anyways ;)

Thanks again for all your well wishes, it really means a lot! :D

Good to hear it went well :thumbup:

getunconcsious said:
Hey guys, thanks for all your support! The test is over, and at the risk of jinxing myself, I really do think that I passed. The test was clearly written for those of us who are *****s when it comes to anatomy...so much so that I missed one question by overthinking it. :rolleyes:

I'll find out tomorrow or the next day for sure, but I don't think that I'll have to make this choice after all, thank God. If I do, I will be more inclined to repeat the year, partially due to the responses on here. That, and I had no real alternate plan anyways, except 'move back to Vegas and be a bum/blackjack dealer' which probably isn't smart anyways ;)

Great news! I'm sure you did just fine. :)

Awesome. Now head down to the Ice House and let loose.

Great! At times the forum is good. You probably did well! {And one thing about this medical arena, there is always at least one guy saying "its like cake and icecream getting thru med school."

getunconcsious said:

I gather it's moot now, but I don't really see any decision to be made here. You are going to get through anatomy eventually, whether via this test or via taking it again next year. By sheer repitition of the material, enough will eventually stick to enable you to move on.
And there is (or is predicted to be) a shortage of doctors in this country, so there will be a spot for you at the other end if you pass the boards -- it just might not be a glamorous specialty.
So no more throwing in the towel talk -- wring it out and get back in the pool.

and now we dont have to worry about callogician tracking you down and beating you with blue and pink dildos-which puts my mind at ease.

in all seriousness I am glad to hear that you feel confident regarding the test

getunconcsious said:
Hey peeps,

Sounds like things went well, but in case they don't, I have 2 stories.

First, at my med school we follow around an MD for one afternoon every couple of weeks. My MD graduated from a Mexican med school. His first year, he had to learn Spanish from 6am-9am 5 days a week. Then, from 9am-3pm he had med school classes. He failed gross and was devastated. They told him he could retake the year or leave.

He decided that medicine wasn't for him, packed up what little he owned, and with his wife started to drive back north into the U.S. A couple of hours into the drive he started to tear up from his decision and turned the car around. He stuck it out and has been practicing for the last 30 years. He said that looking back, he would have never forgiven himself if had he kept on driving.

2nd story. This year was my first year of med school. I will have to take 5 years to finish med school. Not because I've failed any course, but because I was diagnosed with cancer. I spent the 2nd semester of my MS1 year with 3 hospitalizations and 2 surgeries - one to remove 2 tumors, and the other to yank out 23 lymph nodes to see if the cancer had spread. I now have to sit out an entire year until the 2nd semester of the MS1 year is taught again (Jan. 2007).

I will have to watch everyone I know move on while I stagnate. I will have to enter a new class (class of 2010) where everyone will have already formed their study and social groups and I will have to try to find a place to fit in. I will have to go through the next two years getting blood draws and chest x-rays to see if the cancer has come back. And, if it either of these shows a flicker of comeback, I'll be faced with the choice of dropping back in school a 2nd time, or trying to go through med school while going through 4 rounds of chemotherapy. To boot, I'm already 10 years behind the game as I am also in my 30s. I have never - never - had any thoughts about bailing.

Everyone I know who is in school has talked about their willingness to dump out whatever amount of blood, sweat and tears would be necessary to get into school and to make it out the other end. I have to imagine that you are no exception. Well, now the piper is at your doorstep asking for payment. At different times we'll all have to decide whether that was all talk, or whether we're willing to overcome whatever "personalized" obstacles we have. Yes, only you know whether the MD life will be a good life for you. But, regrets are a bitch.

Bleed for it.

BetaXeta said:
Sounds like things went well, but in case they don't, I have 2 stories.

First, at my med school we follow around an MD for one afternoon every couple of weeks. My MD graduated from a Mexican med school. His first year, he had to learn Spanish from 6am-9am 5 days a week. Then, from 9am-3pm he had med school classes. He failed gross and was devastated. They told him he could retake the year or leave.

He decided that medicine wasn't for him, packed up what little he owned, and with his wife started to drive back north into the U.S. A couple of hours into the drive he started to tear up from his decision and turned the car around. He stuck it out and has been practicing for the last 30 years. He said that looking back, he would have never forgiven himself if had he kept on driving.

2nd story. This year was my first year of med school. I will have to take 5 years to finish med school. Not because I've failed any course, but because I was diagnosed with cancer. I spent the 2nd semester of my MS1 year with 3 hospitalizations and 2 surgeries - one to remove 2 tumors, and the other to yank out 23 lymph nodes to see if the cancer had spread. I now have to sit out an entire year until the 2nd semester of the MS1 year is taught again (Jan. 2007).

I will have to watch everyone I know move on while I stagnate. I will have to enter a new class (class of 2010) where everyone will have already formed their study and social groups and I will have to try to find a place to fit in. I will have to go through the next two years getting blood draws and chest x-rays to see if the cancer has come back. And, if it either of these shows a flicker of comeback, I'll be faced with the choice of dropping back in school a 2nd time, or trying to go through med school while going through 4 rounds of chemotherapy. To boot, I'm already 10 years behind the game as I am also in my 30s. I have never - never - had any thoughts about bailing.

Everyone I know who is in school has talked about their willingness to dump out whatever amount of blood, sweat and tears would be necessary to get into school and to make it out the other end. I have to imagine that you are no exception. Well, now the piper is at your doorstep asking for payment. At different times we'll all have to decide whether that was all talk, or whether we're willing to overcome whatever "personalized" obstacles we have. Yes, only you know whether the MD life will be a good life for you. But, regrets are a bitch.

Bleed for it.
umm, what he said

Hi there,

Great job for retaking the exam, I praying it went well for you.

For me the problem is Neuro, I will be doing the retake Aug. 18th - and I have already had to decelerate (so it's the end of my 2nd year as an M1). But, in the end it will work out - Admin will literally have to drag me out kicking and screaming, I've worked hard to get to this point and I don't plan on turning back now. Obviously, I have been one of the "problem children" with less than stellar grades, but I am finally figuring out what I need to do to learn and pass med school level classes - I'm okay with being a little slower than most...

Have a great day. :)

getunconcsious said:
That, and I had no real alternate plan anyways, except 'move back to Vegas and be a bum/blackjack dealer' which probably isn't smart anyways ;)

Is it too late to change my vote? If I had known that is what you would do instead of med school I would have voted yes. Sounds like fun to me. :D

For some reason they won't tell us our grade until Monday. Why it takes a week to grade 5 scantron tests I'll never know. As the time drags on I've become less and less confident but I guess I'll know for sure on Monday. :scared:

Stories like the cancer 'bleed for it' one actually make me think that I'm not cut out for med school because I know that if I found myself in a situation like that I'd absolutely bail, without even giving it a second thought. I'm not terribly dedicated to medicine (or anything else, for that matter). It's weird to go through life realizing that you're the kind of person that just doesn't really care that much.

Anyways, thanks for all your input guys.

Just got the official word--83.3%. So I passed!!!! No burdensome decision to make after all. :cool: