Timeline for acceptances by score-ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kazzar

Psychiatrist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I have heard many statistics on what scores you need to get into schools, but how about early interviews and acceptances (not part of EDP).

Ok I know some schools start giving interviews in September, is it based on your scores? I know nothing, but I assume people who have higher than the school's average MCAT scores and GPA will get interviewed right away.

Do schools interview people like with 35-45 MCATs first, then 30-35, 25-30, etc (also in respect to GPA)? Or it is really just who gets their stuff in first and meets the cut-offs for MCATs and GPA?

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, I only received two interviews overall. One was September 20th and the other was October 14th. I received acceptances on October 15th and October 29th, respectively. But, then I received 17 rejection letters.

I had a 34 MCAT, but a very low GPA (~3.0)... I applied early and finished my 2ndaries as fast as I could ... usually just a few days after receiving them.

I don't know why the two schools interviewed so fast and accepted so fast, and that 17 other schools that were equally as good or worse didn't even interview me. The whole damn process makes no sense, the timetable isn't cut and dry for anyone, and you will be (un)pleasantly surprised by the results. It worked out well for me, but seriously, I think my case shows that everything is a crapshoot.

Simul
Tulane Med '05

it seems reasonable that they look at both the gpa and mcat and interview the best students first...no point interviewing students with less than stellar gpa and mcat right?..just a thought

Members don't see this ad :)
Simul,

What other med school were you accepted at besides Tulane? Just curious! Congrats on both your acceptances and good luck in med school.

I know that UIC has a point cutoff for both secondaries and interviews - they basically take your application materials, evaluate them by setting a point "weight" to each activity, essay, etc, and then add it to you gpa/mcat. This determines if you get a secondary. They then do the same for your secondary and rec letters and add that to your previous point total. This determines whether you get an interview or not. Finally, they weigh your interview and add the to the points you have collected so far, come up with a grand total, and this determines if you get in or not.

I doubt all schools do it like this, but I know for certain that at least UIC (and probably others) determine who gets what in this manner.

I think it really depends on the school. Some schools will interview people who meet the "minimum" as far as GPA and MCAT - especially the schools who interview approx. 1,000+ applicants. For the more selective schools with respect to interviews (e.g., they interview approx. 500), I would guess they screen more and may have more rigid criteria. But, the truth of it is that if the school finds you "acceptable" (i.e., they could conceivably accept you for their class), then they will offer you an interview. "When" you are offered an interview depends on when your application is complete, how long it takes the reviewers to decide on you for an interview offer and the strength of your overall application. Also, keep in mind that the Adcoms tend to "scoop" the "best" off the top in the first pass (i.e., admit the strongest candidates right after they interview), and then will waitlist a good portion of people. So, in some cases, you may interview in Sept or October, get waitlisted and then get in later in the year or off the waitlist. I guess what I'm saying is do not put too much stock in when you interview (as an indicator of if/when you will get in); however, it is always better to interview early, as you have more "chances" to have your file reviewed and there are more slots open. Good luck to everyone!