Timeline for Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VackAttack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a quick question that I'm sure some of y'all can answer for me and really help me out... I'm graduating in 2 weeks, while also applying for the Fall 2013 cycle this summer. My question is, when should I take the MCAT? I was originally planning to take it June 21st, but after recent thought, I'm looking at maybe taking it in July. Is this too late if I don't apply until August? Studying for the ACS and physics 2 on top of kids and other matters, I'm not sure if taking it June 21st is possible (to feel confident enough to score well on it, that is).

So, I just wanted to know what anyone thought of this... whether taking the MCAT in July and applying in August is dumb and too late, or not?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on your specific application. Do you have an otherwise strong application? Good GPA (>3.6) ? EC's? LOR's? I would say if you have everything else in line, I would say the July date is feasible to give you more study time but make sure you fill out you application as soon as it opens up and check that you will be sending in your results after you take it. This will get you looked at early and possibly some interview invites pending your MCAT score. Down side is if you do not do as well as you hope, you could potentially shoot your self in the foot and waste a good deal of money.
Good luck!

I would be taking it in May, yes this month, to have your scores before you spend all the time and money applying. As the other poster said, would be a shame to be out money if your score comes back low. Should have taken it in April. Applying in July/August is very late to be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be taking it in May, yes this month, to have your scores before you spend all the time and money applying. As the other poster said, would be a shame to be out money if your score comes back low. Should have taken it in April. Applying in July/August is very late to be competitive.

I agree that this would be ideal, however I believe it's better to take time to study and put forth maximum effort the first time around. I am in the same boat. I'm taking the MCAT in July because of this very reason. Of course I would have liked to have taken it earlier, but if the application is done pending the MCAT scores, I don't see any problem with this. I think most of the fuss about an early MCAT is a manifestation of the neuroticism of the premeds on this site. If you are ready earlier, then take it earlier. But do not shortchange yourself. Do it right the first time. My 2 cents.

Sho-

. I think most of the fuss about an early MCAT is a manifestation of the neuroticism of the premeds on this site.
Sho-

I agree that one should "do it right the first time" but I have heard an admission officer specifically say, "We can't do anything with you until we have your MCAT score, so you go to the bottom of the pile". Now, I wasn't particularly fond of this gentleman but I would take that seriously.

Realistically, a good late score is better than a poor early score! Good luck!

Take the MCAT when you feel that you're as prepared as you possibly can be, for some of us that will be June, others July, and yes others August. If you choose to take a later MCAT than when the AACOMAS or AMCAS opens, then apply to at least one school so that the lengthy parts of your application are being verified prior to your MCAT scores being released (which will take only a few weeks at the longest for the schools that you have applied to have them in your file). It's not an ideal situation to take the MCAT after applying, but it is a measurable risk that you can be successful with this plan.

Well, that wasn't and isn't the case... so I can't dwell on that. I'm having to take a May-mester as well, which will also cut into my time to study/take the test. We will see though, June may still work but I've been feeling more towards July just because of the more prep time.

But thanks everyone for your words. I am waiting to hear back from some admin people I know at a few med schools to see what they say too. I just wanted to hear from other people who may have been or will be in the same boat.

Well, that wasn't and isn't the case... so I can't dwell on that. I'm having to take a May-mester as well, which will also cut into my time to study/take the test. We will see though, June may still work but I've been feeling more towards July just because of the more prep time.

But thanks everyone for your words. I am waiting to hear back from some admin people I know at a few med schools to see what they say too. I just wanted to hear from other people who may have been or will be in the same boat.
Definitely would be interested in what you find out from the medical schools. From the school that I have talked to so far, it only results in your application going on hold but you are verified without an MCAT score. Good luck this cycle.

True, you can take the MCAT whenever you feel ready however, my point is don't be surprised if you end up having to wait a year because:

1) You applied too late due to late MCAT
2) You MCAT came back low and you end up having to retake.

Very true cabinbuilder. Decisions decisions!!! Thanks.